The son of five-time British Rally Champion Jimmy McRae and brother of rally driver Alister McRae, Colin won the 1991 and 1992 British Rally Championship, and was the first Brit and the youngest to win the World Rally Championship title, a record that he still holds. Colin later signed on to Ford in 1999 to pilot the newly-minted Ford Focus rally car, to which he won in nine events only to leave partly due to salary issues, and saw a brief stint with Citroën in 2003. After moonlighting in various motorsport disciplines, Colin reportedly planned a reunion with Subaru for the 2008 season; he died a year before due to a fatal helicopter accident which also claimed the life of his son and two family friends.
- Colin McRae Rally (1998)
- Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (2000)
- Colin McRae Rally 3 (2003)
- Colin McRae Rally 04 (2004)
- Colin McRae Rally 2005 (2005)
- Colin McRae DiRT (2007)
Tropes associated with Colin McRae:
- Badass Driver
- Brave Scot
- Determinator: McRae would not hesitate to "go flat out" when racing, even if his superiors have explicitly told him to defer to Carlos Sainz at one time, to which Colin begrudgingly complied. This style of driving also meant that his superiors had to invest deeply, and by that we mean lots and lots of (expendable) cars.
- Drives Like Crazy: Colin's aggressive, no questions asked style of rallying has earned him the nickname "Colin McCrash", and also the ire of his sponsors, who had to spend so much resources to compensate for McRae's frequent crashing.
- Red Baron