A list of the characters from the Youth in Sexual Ecstasy books.
open/close all folders
Efren AlvearThe protagonist of the story, a 23 year old college student.
- The Casanova: He is quite the womanizer at the beginning.
- Character Development: Goes from Mr. Vice Guy to a loving family man.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Suffered from abuse at the hands of his stepfather.
- Lady Killer In Love: He notes and lampshades this when he starts developing interest in Dhamar.
- Mr. Vice Guy: Of the "lust" variety.
- Papa Wolf: Becomes one in the sequel when trying to protect her daughter.
DhamarThe receptionist of Dr. Marin, she becomes Efren's true love interest.
- Brainy Brunette
- Daddy's Girl: She mentions to have a special connection with her father who is very protective of her.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She pairs up with Efren after seeing that he truly is a good guy.
Dr. Asaf MarinA middle-aged doctor/sex therapist to whom Efren goes at first to get treated for his STD.
- Celibate Hero: After marrying twice, he decides to spend the later years of his life in celibacy.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: He turns out to be Efren's long lost father.
- The Mentor: Becomes Efren's mentor.
- Nerds Are Sexy: He's described as a Bookworm and a school nerd in his youth, and yet he once managed to get married to a beautiful woman and he has no problems finding a partner, but he stays celibate by choice.
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist: Has a degree in medicine, biology, bio-pharmacy and psychology, has also published several papers in chemistry and sociology.
Efren's motherDescribed as in her late forties, being constantly out on work she always had a distant relationship with her son Efren, until she opens up to him.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: She mentions how in her youth she always felt attraction towards the "dangerous looking types", it also caused her to start the affair with Efren's future stepfather.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Judging from her looks, Efren imagines that she must have been extremely beautiful when she was young.
- Mama Bear: When she defended her daughter, Marietta, from being raped by her stepfather. Lampshaded by her when she mentions how after years of submission and cowering over her abusive husband she summoned the strength to fight him when seeing her offspring in danger.
- No Name Given
- Never a Self-Made Woman: Played with, she mentions that after running away from her husband, for the first time she was forced to work in order sustain herself and Efren, she learned languages and worked night and day just to make a decent living, Efren thinks that all her effort paid off as they live a very comfortable life when he's in college, It turns out that in the latest years, his father was actually pushing a lot of profitable work in the direction of her, which accounts for their change in fortune and comfortable lifestyle.
- Teacher/Student Romance: She confesses to Efren that she lost her virginity to one of her teachers when she was 15.
- Your Cheating Heart: Right after Efren was born, she started an affair with a repairman, who would later become Efren's stepfather.
Citlalli AlvearEfren's 24 year old daughter, she attends college while dating an abusive boyfriend.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Her initial attraction to her college boyfriend, Juan Carlos.
- Daddy's Girl
- Early-Bird Cameo: She appears at the beginning and the end of the first book.
- She's All Grown Up: Efren tells her she is very pretty when she's 15, when she attends college he notes how more beautiful she's grown.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: By end of the second book she starts a relationship with a much nicer and attentive young man.
- Virgin Tension: After she breaks up with her boyfriend, she confesses to Efren that she once had sex with him, and was afraid of telling him since he would think that she's not worth anything anymore.
MariettaEfren's older sister, who believed her dead for most of his life.
- Attempted Rape: By her drunk stepfather, but he was violently stopped by her mother.
- Daddy's Girl: Justified since she was raised though puberty and her teenage years by her father.
- The Ghost: She is only mentioned in flashbacks, a letter dedicated to Efren, and a picture in Dr Marin's house.
- She's All Grown Up: Unfortunately when she hit puberty her stepfather first started to grope her and harass her, culminating on her Attempted Rape. Years later the picture of her shows that she further became a very beautiful woman.