- "Arabian Nights" Days: Played pretty straight, which is a given how the Norse culture is treated in a corresponding way.
- Cadre of Foreign Bodyguards: The Mediterraneans use Vikings this way, which is Truth in Television.
- Deadly Decadent Court: Invoked by Sinric.
open/close all folders
Played By: Albano Jerónimo
The client ruler of Sicily.
Played By: Karima McAdams
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Seems at first to be a inactive nun. She is then shown to easily manipulate Euphemius and Ziyadat Allah orders several deaths.
Played By: Kal Naga
A powerful emir in North Africa.
- Affably Evil: Gives the appearance of being a tolerant and friendly man. He is also a conquering cannibal.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Ruler of the Aghlabid dynasty and recognised by most of the characters as the most powerful leader in the Mediterranean. Also a scheming, Titus Andronicus-esque cannibal.
- I Am A Humanitarian: Has Euphemius cooked and serves him at dinner. It's implied he has done this before.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: The real Ziyadat Allah was a decadent, possibly corrupt ruler who nevertheless managed to successfully to conquer Palermo and presided over massive economic and cultural growth in his kingdom. The show's interpretation of this man is an omniglot Machiavellian schemer Chess Master who has a taste of Shakespearean displays of vengeance.
- Omniglot: Speaks Old Norse, thanks to the Kievian Vikings.
- Wicked Cultured: Omniglot, epicurean man-of-world leader of an advanced society who happens to be a tyrannical, scheming cannibal.