open/close all folders
Opening & Ending Themes
In the long standing tradition of Long Runner
Martial Arts Shounen
shows, Fairy Tail
has an impressive share of memorable OP and ED, some of them courtesy of some of the biggest names in the business. Namely:
- "Snow Fairy" by FUNKIST. The first opening is awesome, because it shows that by introducing the Fairy Tail anime franchise to newcomers of the show, the song and clips show that viewers will have a great time watching both the series and the opening.
- The third opening, "Ft.", also by FUNKIST, shows that in the Phantom Lord and Tower of Heaven arcs, things get serious with Lucy and Erza's respective pasts.
- The 6th opening "Fiesta" by +Plus. Showcasing the second half of the Nirvana arc, it has an infectiously fun rhythm and nice drum work.
- The 8th opening, "The Rock City Boy" by Jamil, manages to simultaneously tease the Strongest Team (and Gajeel)'s battles against Edolas Royal Military and be completely different from all of the series's previous OPs.
- The 9th opening "Towa no Kizuna" by Daisy x Daisy featuring Another Infinity. Not only does the opening song have 7 million views on Youtube (showing how popular the song is), but it also sets up the battle between Fairy Tail and Grimoire Heart, and has a Natsu and Zeref encounter.
- The 11th opening "Hajimari no Sora" by +Plus. Considering this opening set up a filler arc to the series, the opening does not disappoint.
- The 14th opening "Fairy Tail ~Yakusoku no Hi~" by Yonekura Chihiro. Considering this was the last opening of the 2009 series, the song is still awesome showing us all the fights in the Grand Magic Games that we were all looking forward to until the hiatus, which would last until 2014.
- With the triumphant return of the Fairy Tail anime in 2014, we get a brand new set of openings and endings, all of which are just as good, if not better than the ones from the first series. Behold!:
- Opening 1: "Masayume Chasing" by Boa Korea. This opening rebooted the series and the viewers faith in that the Fairy Tail anime series is born again, picking up where the last series left off.
- Opening 2: "STRIKE BACK" by BACK-ON. The song is awesome as it matches what is shown in the opening: Dragons come out of the gate, dragon slayers on the hunt and Natsu vs. Future Rogue.
- Opening 5: "Yumeiro Graffiti" by Tackey & Tsubasa. Sounds awesome considering that this is the start of Tartaros Arc.
- Opening 6: "NEVER-END TALE" by Tatsuyuki Kobayashi & Konomi Suzuki. The middle part of Tartaros Arc, plus the song itself sets chills in the opening.
- Opening 7: "Believe in Myself" by EDGE of LIFE. The final part of Tartaros. This song marks the band's first opening theme that they have done for Fairy Tail. One month after it went onto Youtube, it made it to 1 million views, showing how popular the song is to fans. The song is made even more awesome as the clips show a countdown to stop the Face bombs, Natsu and Gray team up to take on Mard Geer and two dragons fight.
- Opening 8: FAIRY TAIL ZERO Opening! "Ashita Wo Narase" by Kavka Shishido. The first opening set to a prequel series showing how the Fairy Tail guild got formed with Mavis as the first master. The song makes the clips that are shown even more awesome.
- The 6th ending "Be As One" by w-inds. Not only was this song awesome as it shows Gray going through his past with Ur, but after the Oracion Seis arc finished, the song got used again, only showing clips telling what happened in the arc.
- From the 2014 relaunch, Ending 7: "Azayaka na Tabiji by Megumi Mori. Made even more awesome that the song got used again at the end of the Tartaros Arc highlighting all the events which happened in the arc.
Composed by Yasuharu Takanishi, the same man behind the music from Naruto Shippuden
. He delivers an awesome score with clear Celtic influences that fits the show like a glove.
- The original Fairy Tail Main Theme, arguably one of the most memorable themes in Anime from the late 2000s. It also comes with a number of variations:
- Watching the resident Proper Lady finally lose it, regaining her old power and handing Fried his ass wouldn't have been nearly as awesome as it was if not for this.
- The Fairy Tail anime also has a voice cast that is all-around impressive, featuring many major players in the industry. Coupled with the lush OSTs you really have to suspect that whoever decides the budget of the anime is an audiophile.
- The theme songs are definitely worth a mention. Here we have:
- Here we have the triumphant sounding Alliance Force, Assemble! (Rengougun, Shuuketsu) and The Last Magic (Saigo no Mahou).
- Remember Fairy Law?
- Like a Whirlwind, Quick as Lightning (Shippuu Jinrai) and Fierce Battle of Steel (Hagane no Hakunetsusen) are some sweet and kickass battle themes.
- Episode 53 features one of the most badass battle themes yet heard, Warlord's Strike Phase (Gunyuu Aiutsu).
- For Wendy's first big solo fight against Ezel we have the epic as hell Indomitable.
- Scarlet vs. Knightwalker was awesome but the theme, Erza vs. Erza, made it twice as awesome.
- The moment Three Dragon Slayer (Sannin no Dragon Slayer) starts playing in Team Natsu's fight against Dorma Anim, you just KNOW that he's about to go down.
- Dragon Slayer plays in some of the most epic moments in the series, usually when a Dragon Slayer goes full power. It's freaking awesome!
- Dragon Force definitely deserves a mention.
- For some of those Moments of Heartwarming and/or Tearjerkers, we've got Bonds (Kizuna), Past Story (Kanashiki Kako), and Power of Justice (Seigi no Chikara).
- There's Friends (Nakama Taichi) and Busy Street (Nigiyaka na Machi) for the happy and lighthearted moments in the series.
- All of the character songs. Be it Natsu's "Blaze Up" (and the openings to the OVA's "Eternal Fellows" and "BLOW AWAY" with Gray), Lucy's "OPEN THE GATE" (and the endings to the OVA's "Nichijou Sanka ~This Place~" and "Happy Tale" with Erza and Wendy), Gray's "Frozen Soul" (and "TRUE PRIDE"), Erza's "Wings of Liberty", Happy's "Happy Day" (and "Have a nice day", with Carla), Gajeel's "METALLIC KISS", or Wendy's "Amazing Blessings", they're all equally awesome.
- Whenever there's a bar fight happening or something stupid happening, a Celtic arrangement of The Cancan Song starts to play.
- While a minor example, Seilah's theme playing anytime she appears is reminiscent of her title "Goddess of the Chill Moon". The sound of those organs sends a chill down the spine of anyone listening and conveys that something unpleasant is on the horizon.