One day, a boy named Hikaru Amatsuga comes across a strange mechanical arm. To his surprise, said arm turns out to be sentient. And intelligent. And powerful. As it turns out, this arm, named Arma, is actually a "Mecha-Ude" and not just any Mecha-Ude, but one that has been dormant for a 100-year. The two of them team up alongside Aki Murasame, a girl with her own Mecha-ude, Sinis and Dex and who is a member of the organization "ARMS", in a battle against the mysterious conglomerate "Kagami Group", who is bent on taking away every Mecha-Ude for their own gain.
The project was successful, making $67,918 and will come along with Japanese Audio Commentary and an additional short episode starring the "Heroine" thanks to stretch goals. Originally planned to be released on December 2017, it experienced several delays before finally being released on 30 September 2018 on vimeo for backers-only, with the physical release following later. You can watch the long version of the promotional trailer here. Cyberconnect 2 is doing extensive animation assistance for the series.
You can officially watch the pilot episode over here.
MECHA-UDE provides examples of:
- Another Dimension: The Mecha-Ude were originally a Mechanical Lifeform from another dimension who moved to earth 100 years ago.
- Casting Gag: Yoh Shirono is a carryover from Okamoto's work on the music video "Ano Ko Secret", a song by opening theme singer Eve. Naturally, he gets to provide Yoh's speaking voice here.
- La Résistance: The ARMS were formed in order to fight against the machinations of Kagami Group.
- Mechanical Lifeform: The Mecha-Ude are originally this. They originally lived in another dimension, but when the energy called "Albitorium", which is needed to sustain their life, have been exhausted in their dimension, they decided to cross over to earth where Albitorium is abundant. In order to withstand dimensional transcendence, they all shrunk their body until only their arm (ude) is left. After arriving on earth, they survive by coexisting with other organisms.
- Mega-Corp: The Kagami Group are described as one. Also cross into Evil, Inc., as they are hellbent on taking every Mecha-Ude for their research, despite the fact that taking a Mecha-Ude from it's host will eventually kill said host.
- Production Throwback: Hikaru's best friend Yoh was the main character of the music video for Eve's song "Ano Ko Secret".
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Arma has a brother named Fist, who is the Mecha-Ude of the leader of ARMS, Aljis. Fist's personality is very logical, contrast to the easy-going Arma. He even tells Arma not to get influenced by human emotion.
- Tsundere: Aki is very much a textbook tsundere, especially evident in the scene where she tries to apologized and thank Hikaru without losing her gruff attitude. Arma even lampshades this.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: The two main characters are junior high school student who fights against evil Mecha-Ude users.