Keiichiro is a young man living by himself. One day, as he is hiding from the rain, he comes across an inanimate young girl thrown in the trash. She turns out to be an older model of a service android line, called Parents, but her outdated nature means that the local technician lacks the parts to fix her. As such, Keiichiro prepares her for the trash heap... and wakes up to find that she has powered up and prepared breakfast for him. The girl has had her mind wiped clean, and as a result, Keiichiro decides to name her "Flower", after the sunflower she was found holding. So begins Kowarekake no Orgel, a Doujin Original Video Animation produced by ElectromagneticWave.
A DVD version was released a year later, with an additional 6 minutes of footage and another 8 minute sidestory.
Compare to Chobits.
This work contains example of:
- Bittersweet Ending: Flower shuts down, but Keiichiro has gotten better and is playing music once again.
- Hikikomori: Keiichiro is one after his immediate family died in a car accident while on their way to see one of his live performances.
- Ocean Awe: Flower, who has only seen the sea on TV, wants to visit it in person.
- Slice of Life: Flower writes about her daily errands and experiences.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: Computers (Macs in particular) seem to have been improved, but besides that (and the obvious walking Robot Girls, it could be the present day.