Eiga Tamagotchi: Himitsu no Otodoke Dai Sakusen! (roughly "Tamagotchi the Movie: Big Secret Delivery Operation!" in English) is an anime short film based on the Tamagotchi series of virtual pet toys. It was made to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Tamagotchi franchise and was screened with the Kamisama Minarai: Himitsu no Cocotama movie, which was released on April 28th, 2017.
Mametchi and his friends Memetchi, Kuchipatchi, Lovelitchi, and Nijifuwatchi are assigned to deliver a special package to the Gotchi King. Things go fine until an unusual vehicle suddenly appears and tries to steal the package from them.
This short film contains the following tropes:
- Absentee Actor: Himespetchi doesn't appear in this short film, not even as a background cameo, which is strange considering she's a notable character in the Tamagotchi franchise and has a major role in several episodes of the preceding TV show.
- Art Shift: This short film retains the TV show's art style, but combines it with the blue-outline art style used by the franchise in general, which basically causes everyone to look shinier.
- Bait-and-Switch: When the egg initially hatches, Oyajitchi pops out of it, leaving everyone confused. As it turns out, the egg itself is actually a special white-colored Tamagotchi that resembles a typical Tamagotchi virtual pet toy.
- Banana Peel: Kuchipatchi throws a banana peel onto the road in an attempt to get the unusual vehicle to slip off track. It doesn't work.
- The Chase: Most of the short is based around Mametchi and his friends being chased down by the vehicle targeting their package.
- Continuity Cameo: Several Tamagotchi characters from the 90's who never got an appearance in the 2000's/2010's anime films and series make cameo appearances at the end of the short.
- Dance Party Ending: Mostly played straight. A huge crowd of Tamagotchis can be seen while some of them (such as Kuromametchi, Makiko, Lovelitchi, and Melodytchi) are dancing on a stage. However, some even dance while in the crowd.
- Egg MacGuffin: The item that Mametchi and friends have to deliver to the Gotchi King is a giant egg that's getting ready to hatch.
- Jaw Drop: Spacytchi does a rather deadpan one after seeing Oyajitchi of all people emerging from the egg.
- Make a Wish: This is why Spacytchi wants the package; he thinks the egg contained within will hatch into a being that can grant any wish of his choosing and he wants to use that wish to conquer Tamagotchi Planet; the egg doesn't contain any such creature, though.
- Short Film: It's approximately 10 minutes long.
- Stylistic Callback: The art style of this film is intended to invoke the signature blue-outline art style used by the franchise in general.
- Title: The Adaptation: Part of the title qualifies as this trope, anyway. The title roughly translates to "Tamagotchi the Movie: Big Operation Secret Delivery".