Currently on the table: Axing any appearance trope with more than 50% misuse and/or ZCEs on a wick checkThere is on TV Tropes, a common bad habit that persists among editors of using appearance tropes, or names that sound like they could be appearance tropes, badly. They always suffer from the same problems and they tend to clog up the TRS like they're on a revolving door. As such I'm making a large scale special effort in order to address the common problems all of these tropes have. Sometimes non-appearance tropes are mistaken for appearance tropes. Report them here and the clean-up will be handled. We're going to search for the best ways to change the culture and make sure that the misuse stops. Tropes will be handled here and we'll likely have a fair number of crowners on this thread. Keep checking back for new developments. For full details, including the to-do list and crowner list, check this post. All appearance tropes that show more than 50% misuse and/or ZCEs on a wick check may be cut freely after posting the wick check here on the thread for approval as per crowner results.
edited 28th May '16 9:27:28 AM by shimaspawn
edited 15th Mar '13 9:02:18 AM by ArcadesSabboth
- Numerous examples: Pointed out/noticed by other characters, or inspire the character's nickname.
- Keroro Gunsou, Girl Genius, Metal Gear Awesome, The Venture Bros.: Change size and/or shape depending on mood. (Expressive Hair?)
- Zoophobia: "each character's Big Ol' Eyebrows convey a different state of mind (smug, ecstatic, anxious, etc)." (Expressive Hair?)
- LazyTown, Breakfast Serials, possibly The Hunchback of Notre Dame: Designates the villain. (Red Right Hand?)
- Star Trek, World of Warcraft, ThunderCats (1985): Race-wide trait.
- Axis Powers Hetalia, Pokémon: Arceus and the Jewel of Life, possibly Dune and/or Drill Dozer: Shared odd trait means they're connected or related. (This trope is not specific to eyebrows and is yet to be created.)
- FLCL: Prosthetic eyebrows serve the same purpose as a tinfoil hat, whatever that is.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's: Designates the comic relief.
- Zu Warriors Of The Magic Mountain: Used as weapons.
- Punch-Out!!: Their movement and sound effect are a cue to an enemy's action.
- Waterworks: "protecting his eyes from pepper spray."
edited 15th Mar '13 10:05:37 AM by ArcadesSabboth
edited 15th Mar '13 10:13:54 AM by willthiswork
edited 15th Mar '13 10:21:48 AM by ArcadesSabboth
- In Favorite Dear Junshiro No Yogenmono, Cesia's eyes change from blue to green when she becomes the new Saint Woman, after making a power and knowledge-transferring pact with the dying Saint Woman. The colour change is symbolic, as from that point Cesia, while remaining one of the most idealistic of the Seven Heroes, loses a good chunk of her innocence and naiveté along with her Innocent Blue Eyes; and, as she gains her Green Eyes, she gets the collective memories, knowledge and powers of all the Saint Women before her (who all got the green eyes, too), and as a result becomes more collected and wiser. The colour change is also permanent, making some of her early Event CGs Lost Forever after the pact is made.
edited 20th Mar '13 11:13:17 AM by AceNoctali
- Eye Colour Change: Cesia's eyes change from blue to green when she becomes the new Saint Woman, after making a power and knowledge-transferring pact with the dying Saint Woman.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Cesia sports those, as she's one of the most innocent and naive Heroes. When she becomes the new Saint Woman and gains the collective memories, knowledge, and powers of all the former Saint Women, her eyes permanently turn green, symbolizing the loss of most of that innocence.
- Green Eyes: Cesia gains those when she becomes the new Saint Woman and gains the collective memories, knowledge, and powers of all the former Saint Women. They symbolize the gain of those powers, as well her personnality shift from an innocent and naive girl, to a more collected and wiser woman.
edited 20th Mar '13 11:26:08 AM by AceNoctali
-Philip K. Dick
edited 21st Mar '13 8:40:19 PM by Noaqiyeum
Page Action: All Appearance Tropes
21st May '16 5:35:14 AM