- Not primarily a damage dealer, with spell or blade. Instead, the bard focuses on effects such as buffs or inflicting status effects that are usually seen as a secondary's secondary role. Typically, breadth of ability is not a strength; the character has an odd grab-bag of so-called powers.
- A bard/minstrel type character, or another unprepossessing archetype. If not literally a bard, may practice a weird and slightly impractical form of magic, be a prince/princess or other chronically distressed character, or be a notably non-lethal Joke Character. May be deliebrately designed to be feckless in battle, perhaps even randomly doing useless things.
- Has a unique mechanic. Typically manifestations involve using different instruments to activate different powers, unique mana-refreshing mechanics, or fueling magic with something other than conventional magic points.
- The Bard and Wandering Minstrel, natch
- Magic Music, and even Musical Assassin
- Existing somewhere on the Jack-of-All-Stats Master of None continuum
- Or being a Squishy Wizard, to a lesser or greater extent
- Difficult, but Awesome, if the character can be levelled up to some parity with the other party members.
- Magikarp Power, if they can go beyond that
- The Load, if you're stuck with the Fiddly Bard and don't like their playstyle
- Spoony Bard, if their quirkness extends to their characterization
edited 14th Apr '12 5:09:40 PM by pawsplay
edited 14th Apr '12 5:54:18 PM by DRCEQ
edited 18th Jun '12 1:46:07 PM by Ghilz
edited 5th Feb '13 5:41:01 PM by StarSword
edited 7th Feb '13 7:40:40 AM by CobraPrime
edited 10th Feb '13 2:42:57 PM by StarSword
edited 10th Feb '13 2:46:47 PM by StarSword
Page Action: Quirky Bard
21st Mar '14 9:41:25 PM