Comic Book: Lost at Sea
Lost At Sea is a graphic novel by Bryan Lee O' Malley, published in 2003 by Oni Press. (Yes, that Bryan Lee O' Malley) It tells the story of Raleigh, a girl who believes she lost her soul when she was a child. The story chronicles her inner thoughts as she tags along on a road trip from California to her home in Vancouver, as well as covering her quest to recover her soul. She's accompanied on the trip by acquaintances Stephanie, Dave, and Ian, who invited her on the trip after they contacted her by accident.
This graphic novel contains examples of:
- Deal with the Devil: See Soul Jar below
- Deadpan Snarker: Stephanie has some Snarker moments.
- Emotionless Girl: Raleigh believes that her soulless nature makes her this, unable to feel anything or have any friends. Upon realizing that she never lost her soul, she promptly bursts into tears, lamenting that her problems have ruined her new friends' roadtrip.
- MacGuffin: Raleigh's soul. At the end she realizes she never lost it, she just felt like she did because of her breakup with her boyfriend, Stillman.
- The Quest: A large part of the novel is devoted to finding Raleigh's soul.
- Shout-Out: The title is this to the Radiohead song "In Limbo", as confirmed by O'Malley on twitter.
- Soul Jar: Raleigh believes that her mother sold Raleigh's soul to The Devil in exchange for career success and that The Devil placed her soul inside a cat.
- The Soulless: Raleigh thinks she is this. She isn't.
- Title Drop: Raleigh drops the title as the last line of the comic.