The AnimalDavid Michael "Dave" Bautista, Jr.
is one of the top-tier wrestlers
under the name Batista
between 2002 and 2010, and then returned to WWE in 2014.
During his time in WWE, he was part of the stable Evolution
, and became a 4 time World Heavyweight Champion
, 2 time WWE Champion
, 1 time Tag Team Championnote
, and 3 time World Tag Champion.note
He is also a 2 time Royal Rumble winner, having won the 2005 and 2014 Royal Rumbles.
Since his time in the ring, he has also done other works and media, including MMA
and various movies.
He returned to WWE in January 2014, formally reentering in-ring competition in the 2014 Royal Rumble match, and winning. He "quit" in June to promote Guardians of the Galaxy
, and could possibly have delayed another comeback in favor of appearing in other movies.
You can learn more about his career at That Other Wiki
A few of Batista's film and TV roles include:
"It's time to unleash the tropes":
- Arch-Enemy: Rey Mysterio Jr, John Cena.
- Dave does not have fond memories of Randy Orton. Randy doesn't have very many of those of him either thanks to the chip on his should caused by Evolution's betrayal. Even then, however, neither Dave nor Randy consider each other to be one of their primary arch-enemies, seeing as while they do hate each other, they have much more beef with others. Dave had a lot of issues with The Undertaker over the years, and as much as Randy hates Dave for his part in Evolution's betrayal, it's is to a far lesser extent than the pure loathing he has for Triple H.
- Awesome McCoolname: His daughter's name is Athena, as in the Greek goddess.
- Badass: Except maybe Deacon Bautista, being fought off by someone a third your size can deflate you, especially if it is before she became a multiple title holder who wrestled with a broken face and was just off valeting.
- Bald of Evil: As Leviathan and during his last heel run and his 2014 return. He grew a full beard during his Evolution reunion.
- Beard of Evil: He also started sporting a pretty dark five-'o-clock shadow during that 2010 heel run as well.
- Big Eater: As shown when he was a guest judge in an episode of Iron Chef America. He was apprehensive at first when the secret ingredient turned out to be snails, but he pretty much devoured the food with great gusto once judging came. Some of the dishes were even served to him on bigger plates than those of the other judges.
- The Brute: This was his role as a member of Triple H's Evolution stable
- But Not Too Foreign: He's a Greek Filipino, not that WWE has ever mentioned the fact. For awhile, viewers South of The Border thought he was Mexican American, leading him to receive a popularity boost Latin markets and be put in an angle with Eddie Guerrero.
- Chewing the Scenery: After turning heel, Batista started putting his propensity for ham to good use.
- Cool Old Guy: He was already in his thirties when he debuted in WWE. Of course, it helped that his longtime tag-team partner, Ric Flair, was a Badass Grandpa at that point.
- Cool Shades: Tends to wear these when he's not wrestling.
- Dirty Old Man: Repeatedly accused of hitting on the younger Divas, even if they were already seeing someone (and when he was married).
- Duct Tape for Everything: At Extreme Rules 2010, Batista lost his Last Man Standing match against John Cena by getting his legs duct-taped around a ring post.
- Fallen Hero: During his last heel run. Emphasized during his feud with John Cena at WrestleMania 26.
- Former Teen Rebel: Admitted that he was a Delinquent during his youth.
- Genius Bruiser: Since he was "trained" by the Dirtiest player in the game, the nature boy Ric Flair, part of his gimmick is being smart enough to see the tricks people try to pull on him, almost smart enough for Eddie Guerrero. He's also prone to Dynamite Kid/William Regal esque evasions to excessively fancy sequences.
- Genre Savvy: One of the key points of his character.
- The Giant: Especially in OVW, even when he was fighting Brock Lesnar, the main thing to his matches was being big and throwing/squeezing the other guy while not being knocked down.
- Glass Cannon: He gets injured a lot, both legitimately and in story lines. That said, big Dave is known as big Dave for a reason.
- Heel-Face Turn: After Randy Orton was kicked out of Evolution by having the audacity to win the World Heavyweight Championship, which Triple H still believed was rightfully his despite his inability to win the title back after losing it at WrestleMania 20, Batista slowly began showing signs of dissent as he began to realise that he would never be able to become World champion if he remained part of the group. He ultimately left Evolution & turned Face in the process as he elected to use his WrestleMania title shot by virtue of winning the Royal Rumble to face Triple H.
- He's Back: He returns to WWE in the January 20, 2014 edition of Monday Night Raw to challenge Alberto Del Rio... as a Face.
- The first thing he does upon his return? He wins the Royal Rumble.
- Humiliation Conga: The months after WrestleMania XXVI to his 4 year retirement could count as this right up to his last night. Also might qualify as a Downer Ending.
- I Have Many Names: Kahn, Leviathan, "Deacon" Batista, Batista.
- Irony: Batista quit because Triple H told him that nobody in Evolution would be getting anything they wanted until the Shield no longer existed. After he quit, Triple H invoked his Plan B, which was Seth Rollins defecting to his side, thus destroying the Shield. In other words, Batista quit because he was frustrated that he wouldn't get what he wanted until a seemingly-impossible goal was reached... but by leaving, he made reaching that goal possible.
- It's All About Me: His 2010 heel run was centered primarily on demanding recognition from all around him.
- Kitsch Collection: He has a collection of metal lunchboxes that includes, among others, a 1967 Green Hornet box with Bruce Lee as Katonote , a 1982 E.T. lunchboxnote , and a 2014 Guardians of the Galaxy lunchbox with himself as Drax.note
- Large Ham: His 2010 heel run, to the point that he would only cut his in-ring promos after demanding that a spotlight be shone on him and only him.
- Last Name Basis: John Cena calls him Dave Batista, specifically to emphasize his lack of fear of him, but otherwise this is the case. Evolution stablemates are prone to calling him Dave too for more respectful reasons.
- Our Demons Are Different: Leviathan was summoned from somewhere underwater (see Shout-Out below) by the Disciples of Synn and had Cute Little Fangs.
- Popularity Power: Batista's popularity unexpectedly took off during early 2005, leading to a baby face turn that saw him defeat Triple H and Wrestlemania.
- Power Stable:
- (in OVW): The Disciples of Synn
- (in WWE): Evolution
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: STOOP! THAT! LOW!
- In his 2014 return after Batista Bombing Alberto Del Rio: "JUST! LIKE! THAT!"
- Red Baron: "The Animal"; (as Leviathan): "The Demon of the Deep, The Guardian Of The Gates Of Hell, Right Hand To The Devil Himself!"
- The Rival and Worthy Opponent: He and John Cena are both these to each other ever since the 2005 Royal Rumble. After Batista's Face-Heel Turn, he became the Rival Turned Evil in their WrestleMania 26 match.
- Rogues Gallery: JBL, Edge, Kane, Mark Henry, The Undertaker, Chris Jericho and John Cena.
- Screaming Warrior: During his initial evolution run and his face run on Smackdown. WWE.com had an article comparing him to the Ultimate Warrior.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!
- After repeatedly failing to beat John Cena for the world title, and getting injured in a match, he quit WWE. But that was only on Kayfabe, because he had later stated that he didn't like the direction in which the company was going.
- He also admitted in his return interview that he actually suffered a legitimate back injury during his "I Quit" Match with John Cena, which only sped up his decision to leave.
- After Triple H made it clear that no one in Evolution would get what they wanted until The Shield was no more, Batista said he understood, and then that he quit.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Often came out in suits when not wrestling. This was so common a fan nickname for him was "Dapper Dave." WWE even thought to run a whole article on it.
- Shout-Out/Homage: The OVW vignette where the Disciples of Synn summoned Leviathan from the deep was based directly on Kevin Sullivan summoning the Purple Haze ("Maniac" Mark Lewin) in Florida in the 1980s.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: His outfit as Deacon Batista consisted of a suit without sleeves (he mentioned in an interview that when he was told to get a suit, he felt it was important to really look the part. He bought a very expensive suit at a time when he really couldn't afford it... then looked on in horror as they immediately hacked off the sleeves.) His 2014 run involves asking where are the real men, and he seemed to be frequently decked out in tank tops, vests and other sleeveless attire.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Let it be said that Dave Batista is a good looking man, and he seems to know it.
- 10-Minute Retirement: On the record to saying he would like one more match/brief run with the WWE before taking an executive role in the company. He returned in 2014, just in time for the Royal Rumble. And WON the Royal Rumble match, punching his ticket to the Wrestlemania 30 main event. It seemed likely he would get another one, seeing as it was all but confirmed from all sides that he would return to WWE once his promotional tour for Guardians of the Galaxy ended. However, the additional movie roles Batista landed after the critical and financial success of Guardians have now left those confirmations in doubt.
- Too Dumb to Live: His 2009 Face-Heel Turn? Yeah, it basically happened because Batista apparently assumed that being in a Fatal Four Way for the World Heavyweight Championship with Rey Mysterio Jr as one of his opponents meant that Rey wouldn't actually try to win and would just help him. Especially when Rey later admitted that if Batista had just asked him to help him, he would have. Then again, it's Insane Troll Logic, which is standard operating procedure for most heels.
- Underwear of Power: When wrestling, otherwise he tends to prefer or flat out suits.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: His jeans suffered a rather large tear after he speared Randy Orton during a 2014 Monday Night RAW argument with Orton and Stephanie McMahon. The torn jeans later became autographed by Batista and put up for auction.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Rey Mysterio Jr. (See above for reason)
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: Has the Philippine and Greek flags tattooed on his left biceps, as a tribute to his mixed heritage.
- Wrestling Monster: Leviathan, which was part of the reason his later Deacon Bautista run was so underwhelming, since the gimmick change was not really needed to fit with D-von Dudley's preacher gimmick.