Western Animation: Rolie Polie Olie
A Canadian television program airing since 1998, aimed at children that was created by William Joyce
. It once aired on the Playhouse Disney block of Disney Channel
on the United States and is currently seen in repeats on the 24/7 Disney Junior network, the successor of Playhouse Disney.Rolie Polie Olie
centers on the title character, who by all appearances is a robot made out of spheres, and his family. His best friend is his next door neighbor, made out of cubes. He has a robot dog, and several inanimate objects have faces.
Provides Examples of:
- All-CGI Cartoon
- All Just a Dream: "The Lie". Olie has a bizarre dream about the brussel sprout he lied to his mother about eating, which leads him to admit that he was wrong to lie.
- Bare Your Midriff: Mrs. Ethel Triangle
- Beach Episode: "Beach Blanket Gizmo". It doesn't actually take place at the beach, though; Olie and Zowie are feeling down because Billy got to go to the beach and they didn't, so Uncle Gizmo helps them throw a beach party in their backyard.
- Big Damn Movie: Rolie Polie Olie: The Great Defender of Fun
- Birthday Episode: The entire Great Defender of Fun movie is about Zowie trying to have a birthday party, while Gloomius Maximus tries to stop it.
- Blue Boy Pink Girl: Coo and Coochie
- Christmas Episode: A few episodes feature "Jingle Jangle Day", this world's equivalent of Christmas.
- Expressive Mask: Like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, faces turn up in some unusual places, like Olie's teapot house.
- Extendable Arms: The robots can stretch their arms and legs to any length they want.
- Halloween Episode: "The Legend of Spookie Ookie", "Oooh Scary", and "Zowie, Queen of the Pumpkins".
- Happily Adopted: The Polies adopt Coochie and Coo at the end of Baby Bot Chase, partially due to the fact that the twins had come to love the Polies as much as the Polies loved them.
- Homemade Inventions: Olie's father built a shrink ray at one point. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Impact Silhouette:
- In "Roll the Camera" a mishap with the lawn polisher sends Olie's dad through a hedge.
- In "Zowie's Harmonica" Spot rolls through the same hedge leaving a circle shaped hole.
- Olie does this partially in "Where O Where Did Olie Go?" when he (in his shrunken form) crash lands into a cake.
- Olie and Billy do this together with a tree in an episode when their soap box racer goes haywire.
- In "Spot That Hero" a giant dog's bark sends Spot crashing into a hedge in the park leaving a clean impression of his body.
- Innocent Swearing: In one episode, Zowie unknowingly repeats a bad word (Dinglie Danglie Doodle) to the point of singing it. Interestingly, the episode is named after the "bad word."
- Kid Detective: Olie and Zowie become these in the episodes "Detective Polie's Cookie Caper" and "House Detectives".
- Mind over Matter: In one episode, Olie and his friend Billy gain psychic powers when they press a button on their father's invention.
- Mind Screw: Everything has a face. Everything. Even the silverware.
- Mundane Utility: Said shrink ray is used to shrink all of the clutter in the garage.
- At one point, a time machine is used to stop the dog from breaking a bowling trophy.
- Odd Name Out: The babies on the Mothership in Baby Bot Chase include Cuddley, Wuddley, Googie, Gaga, Pookie, Babby, Giggley, and...Fred. It was also the former home of Coochie and Coo.
- Puppy Love: Olie and his friend Polly Pi seem to have this.
- Retro Universe: The show has a very fifties feel to it.
- Skyward Scream: In "It's a Roundi-ful life"
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World:In the episode "We Scream for Ice Cream", though it's actually made of ice cream.
- Space Pirates: Gloomius Maximus and the Baddies.
- Stop Copying Me: Once, the little Zowie begins to parrot Olie, much to his annoyance. He eventually exploits this to make her go to bed.
- Three Shorts
- Villain Song: Gloomius Maximus gets one in The Great Defender of Fun.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: similar to Samus' Morph Ball — Olie can roll up into a sphere to travel somehow.
- Olie's dog Spot can do this as well.