Creator: William Joyce
William Edward "Bill" Joyce (Dec. 11, 1957—)is a children's book author, illustrator and filmmaker. He has been writing books since The '80s, many of which have become classics, such as "A Day with Wilbur Robinson", "George Shrinks" and "Dinosaur Bob". Perhaps his lasting impression on readers has been assisted by the many films based on his work by various studios made in the past decade, and he was personally involved in all of them. He has also started his own small studio, Moonbot Studios, that have been a part of development on more recent book titles, animated shorts and eBook apps. In 2012, he won an Academy Award for his short film "The Fantastic Flying Books of Mister Morris Lessmore."He is currently developing a book series called "The Guardians of Childhood ", slated to be a 15-book series, on which the 2012 DreamWorks Animation film Rise of the Guardians was based. Five books are already released.
- George Shrinks (1985)
- Dinosaur Bob and His Adventures with the Family Lazardo (1988)
- A Day with Wilbur Robinson (1990)
- Bently & Egg (1992)
- Santa Calls (1993)
- The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs (1996)
- Rolie Polie Olie (1999)
- Snowie Rolie (2000)
- Sleepy Time Olie (2001)
- Big Time Olie (2002)
- The Man in the Moon (2011)
- Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King (2011)
- E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core! (2012)
- The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Man Snoozy (2012)
- Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies (2012)
- The Numberlys (2014)
- Toy Story (1995) - conceptual designer (with Disney/Pixar)
- A Bug's Life (1998) - conceptual designer (with Disney/Pixar)
- Robots (2005) - producer, writer, production designer (with Blue Sky Studios)
- Rolie Polie Olie - writer, for Playhouse Disney
- Meet the Robinsons (2007) - writer, producer (with Disney)
- The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (2011) - writer, director, character designer (short, with Moonbot Studios)
- Rise of the Guardians (2012) - writer, producer, co-director (with DreamWorks Animation)
- Epic (based on The Leaf Men) (2013) - writer, producer (with Blue Sky Studios)
Tropes associated with Bill Joyce:
- Adaptation Expansion: Bill encourages studios to alter his stories, because he recognizes that they cannot be told the same way in a movie instead of a book, and supports new twists and ideas that they bring.
- Author Appeal: Circular shapes, whimsical characters, robots, and fantastical plots, just to name a few.
- Black and White Morality
- Motif: Chris Wedge, on the DVD Commentary of Robots, described Joyce's designs as having "circles within circles."
- Parental Abandonment: Common in his films and a common thread in the Guardians books.
- Scenery Porn: All his illustrations contain epic, fantastical environments. Even those that take place in an ordinary setting.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: Tends to fall to the "Ideal" side.