Creator: Spike Jonze
As a feature film director you got to be a guarding dog of the whole production. You got to be able to hold 100 script pages in the head at the same time. If you miss a detail it's wasted.Born on October 22, 1969 (as Adam Spiegel), Spike Jonze is an Academy Award-winning note American director, producer, screenwriter, and actor. Outside his accomplished film career, he is probably most well known for his string of music videos in the 1990s and co-creating and executive producing the MTV television series Jackass.He apparently has a good grasp on quality control in terms of directing, seeing as his lowest-rated film on Rotten Tomatoes, Where the Wild Things Are, holds a 73% rating, which is considered "certified fresh".Not to be confused with novelty bandleader Spike Jones.
Films Jonze is creatively involved with:
- Being John Malkovich (1999, director)
- Three Kings (1999, actor)
- Human Nature (2001, producer)
- Adaptation. (2002, director)
- Jackass: The Movie (2002, producer, actor)
- Jackass: Number Two (2006, producer, actor)
- Jackass 3D (2010, producer, actor)
- The Fall (2006, producer)
- Synecdoche, New York (2008, producer)
- Where the Wild Things Are (2009, director, co-wrote with David Eggers)
- The One Second Film (2009, producer)
- Her (2013, director, writer)
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013, actor)
Tropes applied to his films or to himself include:
- Acclaimed Flop: All his movies have struggled at the box office, and have been praised to high heaven.
- Auteur License: Gained one with his very first feature film, Being John Malkovich.
- Companion Cube: He directed the famous "Lamp" commercial for IKEA.
- Creator Cameo: That's him as the leader of the fictional Torrance Community Dance Group in the video for Fatboy Slim's "Praise You"
- Doing It for the Art: If you were a film executive, would films like Her or Adaptation put dollar signs in your eyes? Yet he goes on anyways making weird, esoteric, wonderful movies.
- Before that, his music video career, where he basically threw whatever stuck to the wall, and the result was almost always awesome.
- He Also Did: He co-created Jackass. Really.
- Hipster: Frequently stated as various hipsters' go-to director, along with Wes Anderson.
- Directing Against Type: The co-creator of Jackass directing and writing an adaptation of a children's book?
- Production Posse: Often works with screenwriter Charlie Kaufman, cinematographer Lance Acord, composer Carter Burwell, and editor Eric Zumbrunnen.
- Stylistic Suck: The video for Fatboy Slim's "Praise You" is a Deconstruction of this. None of the dancers are technically good dancers, least of all their leader 'Richard Koufey' (Jonze himself), but they are clearly rehearsed and disciplined, they're giving it their best shot, and somehow in spite of the general lameness of the dance itself, it's completely awesome.
- Viewers Are Geniuses: His films often deal with heavy philosophical concepts. It takes a Philosophy major to get them all.
- Widget Series: Of a particularly more dramatic variety.