As a feature film director you got to be a guarding dog of the whole production. You got to be able to hold 100 script pages in the head at the same time. If you miss a detail it's wasted.
Born on October 22, 1969 (as Adam Spiegel), Spike Jonze is an Academy Award
American film director, producer, screenwriter, and actor. He is probably most well known for creating and executive producing the MTV
television series Jackass
He apparently has a good grasp on quality control in terms of directing, seeing as his lowest
-rated film on Rotten Tomatoes
, Where the Wild Things Are
, holds a 73% rating, which is considered "certified fresh".
Not to be confused with novelty bandleader Spike Jones
Films Jonze is creatively involved with:
Tropes applied to his films or to himself include:
- Acclaimed Flop: ALL his movies have both bombed and have been praised to high heaven.
- Auteur License: Gained one after Being John Malkovich
- Awesome McCoolname
- Companion Cube: He directed the famous "Lamp" commercial for IKEA.
- Doing It for the Art: If you were a film executive, would films like Her or Adaptation put dollar signs in your eyes? Yet he goes on anyways making weird, esoteric, wonderful movies.
- Before that, his music video career, where he basically threw whatever stuck to the wall, and the result was almost always awesome.
- First Law of Tragicomedies
- He Also Did: He co-created Jackass. Really.
- Hipster: Frequently stated as various hipsters' go-to director, along with Wes Anderson.
- Kavorka Man
- Mind Screw
- Directing Against Type: The creator of Jackass directing and writing an adaptation of a children's book?
- Production Posse: Often works with screenwriter Charlie Kaufman, cinematographer Lance Acord, composer Carter Burwell, and editor Eric Zumbrunnen.
- Rule of Symbolism
- Viewers Are Geniuses: His films often deal with heavy philosophical concepts. It's takes a Philosophy major to get them all.
- Widget Series: Of a particularly more dramatic variety.