Hexane is a Homestuck Fan Adventure
by tiresiasArchivist. It follows 6 friends as they play their own session of SBURB.
Can be read on the MSPA forums here
or in a mirror here
Contains examples of:
- Alchemy Is Magic: Not only do the alchemiters make various combination objects out of nothing, Mack was able to make a working magic wand with his.
- Alternate Self: Dream selves and alternate timeline selves. Erin also has a sprite counterpart made from her glasses.
- Arc Symbol: Slot machine symbols are used to represent the Exusia members as well as phoenix romance. There have been shown to be 7's, cherries, bells, lemons, limes, diamonds, melons, and BA Rs.
- Bad Future: Larssprite and Macksprite come from a future where Lars never helped Erin enter, and she died. The rest of the players grew distant from Lars, and he was eventually killed by Mack.
- Bilingual Bonus: The author's exposition on phoenix romance, written in the phoenix language. note
- Bizarrchitecture: Dell's additions to Nina's house.
- Bootstrapped Theme: Drow Pimp in the Crib.
- The Cameo: The graves of the Scratchproof kids.
- Catch a Falling Star: After entering his second gate, Mack falls from the top of Nina's castle, only to be caught by an underling.
- Chromatic Arrangement / Rainbow Motif: The phoenix's colors are based off the colors of the rainbow, and their rooms and bumhandles are ordered this way.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Nina's grandpa qualifies.
- Comic Within A Comic: Dungeons Of Sunnydale. Sort of.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Lars's fight with Sis. Ouch.
- Defictionalization: In-universe example of Mack's Dungeons of Sunnydale party.
- Demonic Spiders: Quite literally, here.
- Dumb Muscle: 0002, to the point where most of his dialogue consists of bear sounds. Godzillasprite, too.
- Fight Woosh: Here.
- Formulaic Magic: Parodied when Mack tries to open his Cruxtruder.
- Game-Breaking Bug: Do S's (apparently frequent) parser errors when in Wizard Mode.
- Get Back in the Closet: Mack is commanded to go back into his literal closet after he "comes out" of it. However, that's not how it works.
- Haunted Castle: Nina lives in one. It's filled to the brim with creepy dolls, odd knick-knacks, and... stone busts of people named Pallas?
- Improbable Weapon User: Mack allocates wands to his strife specibus before even getting a working magic one, resulting in a horrendous note failure in his first fight with an imp. Also, Dell uses a birdkind specibus, using a bird statuette in his fight with his Bro.
- Interdimensional Travel Device: Do S save points.
- Item Get: You got the translation!
- Joke Weapon: The Flowery Insult.
- Killed Off for Real: The game Dungeons of Sunnydale, along with the main characters' player avatars, are destroyed permanently in Do S: End, leaving 0001 and co. as the only remnants of its existence.
- Lampshade Hanging:
MR: yes, i'm here! sorry, i was exploring my house.
EO: ...im not gonna ask.
MR: yeah i'm not sure why i did it either.
AMORIA: Nobody's even bothered to fuckin' kill us.
AMORIA: It's like we've been forgotten about!
AMORIA: Dog, it's like we're MINOR CHARACTERS!
- Trench Warfare is associated with Mack and really the whole Swallow/Scathe family, having received three mixes all centered around them. Mack is also associated with the trombone.
- Nina's music is emphasized on the drums, her primary instrument, and is also often littered with piano and pipe organ playing, reflected her Transylvanian upbringing. Her guardian strife theme was Chessmaster.
- Lars is associated with keytars. His guardian strife theme was Scuffle.
- Emmy is associated with the clarinet, but as of late has frequently had Drow Pimp in the Crib as one of her themes due to her possession. Her guardian strife theme was Ragtime Fight.
- Almost all of Dell's music has a shamisen as the primary instrument. Just, shamisens. Anything with a shamisen is Dell's and anything that's Dell's has a shamisen. End of story.
- Erin plays the banjo, but does not have many affiliated songs. Her guardian strife theme was Showdown at High Noon.
- Lethal Joke Item: Birdkind sets up to be a Joke Item, until Dell totally owns his Bro with his bird statuette, and one-shots Fear with his Parrot Sabre.
- The Maze: Fear's labyrinth seems to be this.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Mack's sprite, anote Wizard Knight Crab Ghost.
- Nonstandard Character Design: 0001 and co., unlike Prospitians, have rough black outlines.
- The Pollyanna: Emmy spiked her computer on the floor and then ran outside grinning madly two pages later.
- Robot Maid: Erin's Erinbots seem to be little more than this.
- Shout-Out: Many, but most notably to Problem Sleuth.
- Six Student Clique
- Slasher Smile: Lars has a nasty case of this.
- Spiritual Successor: To one of tA's earlier works, Scratchproof.
- Wrench Wench: Erin.