Hexane is a Homestuck Fan Adventure
by tiresiasArchivist. It follows 6 friends as they play their own session of SBURB.
Can be read on the MSPA forums here
or in a mirror here
Contains examples of:
- After the End: As par for the course in a Homestuck fan adventure, the Exiles wander Earth in the future. Unlike in Homestuck, however, in Hexane the future Earth is overgrown with swamps and vegetation, although this may be because it has had some time to regrow, since in this case "the future" means 919 years after 2012.
- Alchemy Is Magic: Not only do the alchemiters make various combination objects out of nothing, Mack was able to make a working magic wand with his.
- Alternate Self: Dream selves and alternate timeline selves. Erin also has a sprite counterpart made from her glasses.
- Arc Symbol: Slot machine symbols are used to represent the Exusia members as well as phoenix romance. There have been shown to be 7's, cherries, bells, lemons, limes, diamonds, melons, and bars. The Eye of Viy tends to show up in a lot of places as well.
- Atlantis: Mentioned throughout the story, and then shown in the second intermission.
- Bad Future: Larssprite and Macksprite come from a future where Lars never helped Erin enter, and she died. The rest of the players grew distant from Lars, and he was eventually killed by Mack.
- Bilingual Bonus: The author's exposition on phoenix romance, written in the phoenix language. note
- Bizarrchitecture: Dell's additions to Nina's house.
- Bootstrapped Theme: Drow Pimp in the Crib.
- Butt Monkey: Qamarkino, full stop. To Theremina, at least.
- The Cameo: The graves of the Scratchproof kids.
- Cast Full of Gay: tA has stated that there are no straight characters in Hexane after getting really butthurt.
- Catch a Falling Star: After entering his second gate, Mack falls from the top of Nina's castle, only to be caught by an underling.
- Chromatic Arrangement / Rainbow Motif: The phoenix's colors are based off the colors of the rainbow, and their rooms and bumhandles are ordered this way.
- Clock Tower: Nina's house has one.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Nina's grandpa qualifies.
- Comic Within A Comic: Dungeons Of Sunnydale. Sort of.
- Cool Starship: The phoenixes' unnamed ship.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Lars's fight with Sis. Ouch.
- Defictionalization: In-universe example of Mack's Dungeons of Sunnydale party.
- Demonic Spiders: Quite literally, here.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Laraminia. She has plainly stated that she is intensely loyal to Viy, but nobody really seems to pay much attention.
- Dumb Muscle: 0002, to the point where most of his dialogue consists of bear sounds. Godzillasprite, too.
- Elemental Powers: Each of the Phoenixes have one.
- Qamarkino has powers over air, Phobeimos has powers over fire, Meranimus can control water, Theremina commands metal, Cythedite can control flesh, Kroblanco has powers over earth, and Laraminia can control the emotions of others.
- Fight Woosh: Here.
- Formulaic Magic: Parodied when Mack tries to open his Cruxtruder.
- Game-Breaking Bug: Do S's (apparently frequent) parser errors when in Wizard Mode.
- Get Back in the Closet: Mack is commanded to go back into his literal closet after he "comes out" of it. However, that's not how it works.
- Harmless Electrocution: Happens to Kroblanco briefly in [S] Proceed.
- Haunted Castle: Nina lives in one. It's filled to the brim with creepy dolls, odd knick-knacks, and... stone busts of people named Pallas?
- Impact Silhouette: Mack creates one when the Drow Pimp sends him flying through Derse onto his Quest Crypt.
- Improbable Weapon User: Mack allocates wands to his strife specibus before even getting a working magic one, resulting in a horrendous note failure in his first fight with an imp. Also, Dell uses a birdkind specibus, using a bird statuette in his fight with his Bro.
- Interdimensional Travel Device: Do S save points.
- Instant Runes: Mack's Scepter of Apollo appears to create these.
- Item Get: You got the translation!
- Joke Weapon: The Flowery Insult.
- Killed Off for Real: The game Dungeons of Sunnydale, along with the main characters' player avatars, are destroyed permanently in Do S: End, leaving 0001 and co. as the only remnants of its existence.
- Lampshade Hanging:
MR: yes, i'm here! sorry, i was exploring my house.
EO: ...im not gonna ask.
MR: yeah i'm not sure why i did it either.
AMORIA: Nobody's even bothered to fuckin' kill us.
AMORIA: It's like we've been forgotten about!
AMORIA: Dog, it's like we're MINOR CHARACTERS!
- Trench Warfare is associated with Mack and really the whole Swallow/Scathe family, having received three mixes all centered around them. Mack is also associated with the trombone.
- Nina's music is emphasized on the drums, her primary instrument, and is also often littered with piano and pipe organ playing, reflected her Transylvanian upbringing. Her guardian strife theme was Chessmaster.
- Lars is associated with keytars. His guardian strife theme was Scuffle.
- Emmy is associated with the clarinet, but as of late has frequently had Drow Pimp in the Crib as one of her themes due to her possession. Her guardian strife theme was Ragtime Fight.
- Almost all of Dell's music has a shamisen as the primary instrument. Just, shamisens. Anything with a shamisen is Dell's and anything that's Dell's has a shamisen. End of story.
- Erin plays the banjo, but does not have many affiliated songs. Her guardian strife theme was Showdown at High Noon.
- Qamarkino's associated instrument seems to be the rock organ.
- Phobeimos is associated with the lute as well as the trumpet, and his themes are militaristic in mood.
- Meranimus's associated instrument is the saxophone.
- Theremina's instrument appears to be the electric guitar.
- Cythedite's songs use a lot of string instruments and flute.
- Kroblanco's instrument is the french horn and his themes have an epic, slowly-paced feel.
- Laraminia's themes use the harpsichord and church organ, and are mostly ominous or frantic.
- Lethal Joke Item: Birdkind sets up to be a Joke Item, until Dell totally owns his Bro with his bird statuette, and one-shots Fear with his Parrot Sabre.
- Mad Scientist: Atlantean Qamarkino seems to be this.
- Magic Wand: Mack's preferred weapon.
- Manipulative Bastard: Laraminia. She has powers over the emotions of others, but apart from that she's extremely good at manipulating others in general. It's heavily implied that she had at least partial control over the Drow Pimp.
- The Maze: Fear's labyrinth seems to be this.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: The Drow Pimp kills Mack on his Quest Crypt, causing him to ascend as the Mage of Breath, a class perfectly suited to defeating the Drow Pimp.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Mack's sprite, anote Wizard Knight Crab Ghost.
- Nonstandard Character Design: 0001 and co., unlike Prospitians, have rough black outlines.
- The Pollyanna: Emmy spiked her computer on the floor and then ran outside grinning madly two pages later.
- Subverted, it is eventually revealed that Laraminia has been manipulating Emmy's emotions so she gets into her session as easily as possible.
- Robot Maid: Erin's Erinbots seem to be little more than this.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Atlantean Cythedite thrives on this.
- Shock and Awe: The Drow Pimp's preferred attack utilizes purple lightning.
- Shout-Out: Many, but most notably to Problem Sleuth.
- Sigil Spam: The Atlanteans sure do love that Eye of Viy.
- Six Student Clique
- Slasher Smile: Lars has a nasty case of this.
- Spiritual Successor: To one of tA's earlier works, Scratchproof.
- Theme Music Power-Up: A notable example occurs in [S] Break.
- Throw the Book at Them: In a non-malevolent way. Theremina lobs a spaceship engine manual at Qamarkino's head while he's working on fixing the engine.
- Villain Teleportation: The Drow Pimp's favored mode of transportation. Asterion also uses this.
- Winged Humanoid: The phoenixes, although their wings aren't shown much. Ironically, the one wingless phoenix's surgically-attached airplane wings are always visible on his sprite.
- Wrench Wench: Erin.