is a comedic
and brutally grimdark
webcomic by Darius "True_Darius" Craine and Legault that is most certainly not taking place
inside the world of Warhammer 40,000
. Many names are closely related yet different from a certain tabletop game for copyright reasons, but this rarely detracts from the enjoyment of the story, comedy or action. It is absolutely unsuitable for minors and a few pages are decidedly NSFW
The story follows four protagonists: an Ax-Crazy Kroott
named Skraat, two deeply depraved yet Crazy Awesome
Ttau, Sha'shiva and Kor'la, and their superhuman Sergeant Rock
Zael Johnson as they take on a galaxy where everything is trying to kill everything else.
As the story begins, Sha'shiva, Kor'la, and Skraat are training at a Ttau Military Academy
under Johnson when two Eldar crash-land on the grounds after escaping an attacking Nyd swarm
headed for their spacecraft world
. The Eldar convince the Ttau to help them warn their home, and the group set out on a quest. Things get progressively darker from there.
EATATAU!!! provides examples of:
- All Amazons Want Hercules: Sha'shiva has a tendency to lose control and try to Black Comedy Rape guys she considers buff and tough. Starting with Skraat, who doesn't technically even have genitalia.
- Anything That Moves Kor'la, at least towards female Ttau. He explicitly has no interest in other species like Sha'shiva, however
- Good Angel, Bad Angel
- Every time Sha is about to jump the bones of somebody or something, we see her shoulder devil casually kill her shoulder angel.
- Kor's angel tries to talk it out with both thier devilds first. Then he just takes out a BFG and headshoots them both.
- Badass: The main cast consists entirely of these, but Sergeant Johnson and Skraat deserves special mention.
- Big Bad: The Archon.
- The Big Guy: Both Skraat and Sergeant Johnson are this.
- Black Comedy: All over the place. The very first page shows a Ttau instructor asking a Kroott to 'attack' him... with predictable results.
- Black Comedy Rape: Sha'shiva, The Great Devourer that walks among us! (She has a tendency to physically attack guys she finds hot, starting with Skraat.)
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: It happens every now and then that the cast speaks directly to the reader or converses with the narrator.
- Chekhov's Gun: A literal one. Also referenced by name in the comments.
- Extreme Omnisexual: Sha'shiva. So far she did it with or had interest in: A Kroot, a Eldar, a Human, a Durchii beast and a female Durchii. Until Kor'la enters badass territory she had actually no interest in other T'tau.
- Full-Frontal Assault: Due to various cases of Clothing Damage, among other things, Johnson has a tendency to kick a lot of ass while butt-ass-nekkid.
- Gladiator Games: The Dark Eldar have these. Of course, they're more akin to a slaughterfest.
- Heel Realization: Sergeant Johnson defected to the Ttau from the Space Marines* after being sentenced to death for treason for disobeying orders he felt were unjust and dishonorable. His execution by firing squad was inadvertently interrupted by a Ttau in a battlesuit who blew away the executioner. Having nowhere else to go, Johnson joined the Ttau and is now an instructor at their Military Academy.
- Heroic BSOD: The new Archon has a device that causes these.
- I Do Not Own: Parodied by a sidebar on the website containing a Long List of things that Games Workshop doesn't own, including the terms "eldar", "space marine", and anything the authors fiddled with the spelling of.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Skraat, being a Kroott, gains new powers by eating the corpses of his enemies.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Unavoidable when your faction of allegiance is the Ttau Empire. Most prominent when Kor'la sends a small army of Mandrakes an SMS (Superior Missile Shower.) or Smart Missile System, take your pick. The trope is also referenced by name in the author's notes.
- Mighty Glacier: When Sergeant Johnson got forced to compete in Dark Eldar gladiatorial games, his first opponent ran circles around him and tore him up pretty good, hitting him fifteen times in the time it took hit her once. But he only NEEDED to hit her once.
- Rape as Drama: Implied, but always prevented, fortunately.
- Reality Ensues: See the Black Comedy entry above.
- Rule 63: From the art gallery portion of the site, this◊ gender-flipped picture of Sha'shiva (red hair) and Kor'la (white hair).
- Rule of Sexy: The comic in general adheres to this, but Selene virtually embodies this trope.
- Starfish Alien: The not-Tyranid.
- Taking the Bullet: Well, an energy blast of some kind, but Johnson isn't above doing this, even for a filthy alien he just met.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Subverted, not once, but twice.
- Writing Around Trademarks: The world is pretty obviously Warhammer 40,000 but any name that is Games Workshop copyright gets extra letters added on. "Eldar" and "Space Marine" are not GW copyright, despite what they claim.