A comedic and brutally Grim Dark
webcomic by an author only known as True_Darius that is most certainly not taking place inside the world of Warhammer 40k
and can be found here.
Many names are closely related yet different from a certain tabletop game for copyright reasons, but this rarely detracts from the enjoyment of the story, comedy or action. It is absolutely unsuitable for minors and a few pages are decidedly NSFW
The story follows four protagonists — an Axe Crazy Kroott
, two deeply depraved yet Crazy Awesome
Ttau and a superhuman
Sergeant as they take on a galaxy where everything is trying to kill everything else.
EATATAU!!! provides examples of:
- Badass: The main cast consists entirely of these, but Sergeant Johnson and Skraat deserves special mention.
- Big Bad: The Archon.
- The Big Guy: Both Skraat and Sergeant Johnson is this.
- Black Comedy: All over the place. The very first page shows a Ttau instructor asking a Kroott to 'attack' him... with predictable results.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: It happens every now and then that the cast speaks directly to the reader or converses with the narrator.
- Chekhov's Gun: A literal one. Also referenced by name in the comments.
- Gladiator Games: The Dark Eldar have these. Of course, they're more akin to a slaughterfest.
- Heel Realization: Sergeant Johnson defected to the Ttau from the Space Marines after having one of these and being sentenced to death for treason for disobeying orders he felt were unjust and dishonorable.
- Heroic BSOD: The new Archon has a device that causes these.
- I Do Not Own: Parodied by a sidebar containing a Long List of things that Games Workshop doesn't own, including the terms "eldar", "space marine", and anything the author's fiddled with the spelling of.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Skraat, obviously.
- Macross Missile Massacre: Unavoidable when your faction of allegiance is the Ttau Empire. Most prominent when Kor'la sends a small army of Mandrakes an SMS (Superior Missile Shower.) or Smart Missile System, take your pick. The trope is also referenced by name in the author's notes.
- Mighty Glacier: When Sergeant Johnson got forced to compete in Dark Eldar gladiatorial games, his first opponent ran circles around him and tore him up pretty good, hitting him fifteen times in the time it took hit her once. But he only NEEDED to hit her once.
- Rape as Comedy: Sha'shiva, The Great Devourer that walks among us!
- Rape as Drama: Implied, but always prevented, fortunately.
- Reality Ensues: See the Black Comedy entry above.
- Rule 63: From the art gallery portion of the site, this◊ gender-flipped picture of the leads.
- Rule of Sexy: The comic in general adheres to this, but Selene virtually embodies this trope.
- Starfish Alien: The not-Tyranid.
- Taking the Bullet: Well, an energy blast of some kind, but Johnson isn't above doing this, even for a filthy alien he just met.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Subverted, not once, but twice.
- Writing Around Trademarks: The world is pretty obviously Warhammer 40,000 but any name that is Games Workshop copyright gets extra letters added on. "Eldar" and "Space Marine" are not GW copyright, despite what they claim.