When the task is "kicking ass," some really go above and beyond. Sure, our protagonist may have just infiltrated the enemy base and killed six armed guards with his bare hands, but the fact remains that the enemy stronghold still contains at least a hundred other Mooks who are still alive and breathing, and that just won't do. As he's breaking necks without breaking a sweat, the constant stream of new foes is just barely enough to keep him from getting bored. He's suffering from Epic Battle Boredom
He might be reading their name tags, or stealing them
, or checking his watch in the middle of a fight
—the point is, he's bored. Hopefully the viewer isn't.
This happens frequently when the character is a One-Man Army
, or just a plain old regular Badass
. Sometimes involves Excuse Me While I Multitask
Anime and Manga
- Black Lagoon had several episodes solely dedicated to allowing Revy the chance to kick ass, most notably on the Nazi ship.
- Hotel Moscow all the time. Mainly because despite their occupation they still operate as a military unit, which gives them enormous advantage in the mob wars.
- In the last episode of Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid, Sousuke eliminates five Codarls equipped with Lambda Drivers without taking a hit.
- Though Sousuke was anything but bored in that fight, because he was under enormous stress and was constantly having problems controlling his Lambda Driver before. If anything, it was his break into true asskicking.
- Guts from Berserk is known as the "Hundred Man Slayer," a name earned for tearing apart a company of Blue Whale Knights.
- He might be dispassionate and bored in the easier fights, but when things get hot, The Beast rears its head. There's a reason the series is called Berserk, after all!
- Saitama from One Punch Man is so overpowered he kills every enemy in one punch without any effort. Or if he feels nice he either dodges or effortlessly blocks every attack.
- Basically how Accelerator in A Certain Magical Index is in any fight with his vector control (even after it having a time limit after being shot in the head while concentrating too much on eliminating a virus from Last Order) seeing as his automatic reflection makes any attacks go straight back to the attacker, he quickly gets bored slaughtering mooks.
- The Astérix comic books have Asterix and his friend Obelix casually beating up people (usually Romans) who try attacking them. The page image is from Asterix the Gladiator. A trainer is trying to capture Asterix and Obelix to put them in the arena by sending tough mooks to catch them as the two wander around town. Asterix and Obelix keep on casually batting their attackers away while discussing their real mission then on the way back to their inn, Asterix finally lampshades that he hasn't even noticed that anyone was attacking them.
- Lucky Luke once traveled through a mountain pass, casually disarming outlaws and Indians while monologuing to Jolly Jumper. Upon arrival at his destination, he is surprised to be told that there were supposed to be bandits on his route, and he cannot explain where the arrow stuck through his hat came from.
- Ace Combat 5 Arcade Mode. Mobius One, who already got the Memetic Badass status from the previous game, is back. And single-handedly defeats an entire army, shooting down dozens of enemy planes, without saying a single word. Judging from the rather boring radio chatter of AWACS Sky Eye, Mobius One doing that is a matter of fact.
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged portrays Nappa as being like this, as he's countering Piccolo and Krillin's clone forms, he's singing "Patty-cake".