Recap / Asterix the Gladiator
As a unique gift for Caesar, Odius Asparagus, prefect of Gaul, decides to bring him one of the indomitable ones from the village surrounded by fortified camps. As the only Gaul the local Legionaries are comfortable with going up against, Cacofonix is kidnapped. Never ones to let a fellow Gaul be put in danger, Asterix and Obelix head for Rome on a Phoenician merchant's ship, thrashing a pirate crew along the way.
In Rome, Caesar's lanista (trainer of gladiators) Caius Fatuous decides that Cacofonix is no good as a gladiator, but will make excellent food for the lions. Asterix and Obelix learn of this, and because they don't know where Cacofonix is being held, decide to join the games themselves. Needless to say, they handle their formal training a bit differently than most would-be gladiators.
Sure enough, at the next games, the antics of the Gauls drive Caesar into frustration. However, the crowd eats it up, so Caesar permits the Gauls to name their reward; they choose to go free, as well as bring Caius Fatuous with them. Caesar is more than happy to let them have the unwitting instigator of his recent humilation. The Gauls put Caius to work on the Phoenicians' ship, showing him what it's like when someone lives off of your muscle. The Gauls return to their village, have their feast...
...and Cacofonix still
gets Bound and Gagged
(Note: First appearence of the Pirates)
- Animated Adaptation: Combined with Asterix the Legionary to create Asterix vs Caesar. Instead of Cacofonix, Tragicomix and Panacea, the romantic subplot leads from Asterix the Legionary, are captured, so Asterix and Obelix pursue them by first joining the Roman Legion, then heading to Rome to become gladiators.
- Bread and Circuses
- Brown Note: This is where Cacofonix's bad voice is fully illustrated. He makes ravenous lions head for the exit, meowing plaintively!
- Early Installment Weirdness: At one point Obelix suggests that they masquerade as lions. Asterix retorts by saying that Obelix is too fat to be a lion, and he doesn't object in any way.
- Funny Background Event: A legionary catches an Egyptian tourist carving his name into a pillar, and asks the tourist, would you like it if I carved my name into a pyramid?
- Gladiator Games
- Gone Horribly Right: Caius Fatuous involves the Gauls because he thinks they'll make the games more interesting.
- Non-Action Guy: Cacofonix's role as this is what gets him captured.
- Oh, Crap!: The pirates, when they realize these two Gauls are scuttling their ship.
- Skewed Priorities: Ekonomikrisis fears that the pirates will take him and his men prisoner, kill them or, even worse, steal their merchandise!
- There Was a Door: Asterix tells Obelix to knock on an apartment door, forgetting Obelix' strength.
Asterix: I said KNOCK, not BREAK!
- Vacation Episode: Asterix and Obelix travel to Rome.
- What's Up, King Dude?:
Gladiators: Ave Caesar! Those who are about to die salute you!
Asterix and Obelix: Hiya, Julie! How ya doing?note