Inspector General Overanixius decides that since the Gauls of Asterix's village can't be subdued, they should be isolated from the world, and has a giant wall built around the village. Asterix declares that not only will he escape, but also collect special foods from different spots in Gaul; if he succeeds, Overanxius will take down the wall. With Obelix with him and the rest of the village as a diversion, the heroes make their break. What follows is a mad run around Gaul as Asterix and Obelix dodge Roman patrols. Eventually, they complete their rounds and return to the village to serve their
special to Overanxius; an uppercut!
- Continuity Nod: References to The Golden Sickle and The Gladiator are made.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Early on, a small, white dog with black spots starts following Asterix and Obelix around. Coincidentally, the next album would be the debut of Dogmatix.
- Hero Stole My Bike: To escape the Romans, Asterix and Obelix have to hijack a bystanders boat.
- Honest John's Dealership: A used chariot dealer sells Astérix and Obélix a spanking-new ride with a strong black stallion... only problem is, the chariot falls apart within a few minutes, and the strong black stallion turns out to be a weakly white horse painted black, its paint washing off when it starts to rain.
- Shout Out: the entire travel is a complete Shout Out to the Tour de France, with Obelix's bag referencing the yellow jersey worn by the leader.