Webcomic: The Easy Breather
A webcomic created in 1986 about Samantha Lewis, who uses her powers to fight smokers. In the first volume of the webcomic, Samantha was an Intrepid Reporter
; in the second, she switched to working in TV commercials. Her allies are Captain Light, a radio announcer, and Ant Woman, a dwarf.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- B-Side Comics: "Min & Max: Valerie the Baby Sitter" ran from April to August 2009. Samantha Lewis' unplanned appearance toward the end of that story coincided with the sharp spike in readership.
- City of Adventure: St. Justin.
- Cute Bruiser: Ant Woman.
- Distressed Dude: Part of the plot of the first volume.
- The Dragon: Mr. Miasma, reluctantly.
- Dumb Muscle: the Operator's henchman, Pound.
- Green Aesop: Pretty much sums up the premise. Despite common belief though, this isn't the only criticism of the comic.
- Heh Heh, You Said X: During Samantha's lecture:
Samantha: Tobacco smoke contains at least 69 known chemicals that cause cancer. They include arsenic, lead, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and radioactive polonium. Yes, I said radioactive!
Boy in audience: (snickering) She also said "69"!
- Invisible Streaker: On the pages for late June 2008, Samantha is nude and invisible just long enough to rescue Matthew Black when he's at his most vulnerable.
- A Minor Kidroduction: On the first two pages, Samantha and Carmen are shown as young girls.
- Most Common Super Power: Despite appearances, Samantha's ample breasts are natural.
- My Suit Is Also Super: Captain Light.
- Next Sunday A.D.: The first volume debuted at Comic Genesis in February 2008 after a trial at MidcoNet, but its story is set circa 2011.
- The Nudifier: Ant Woman, in her non-heroic identity, met such a robot at the jewelry store.
- Power Trio: Ant Woman is the id, as she tries to compensate for her dwarfism by becoming more of a fighter. The Easy Breather is the superego, or conscience of the group, though her judgment isn't perfect. That leaves Captain Light as the ego, mediating when his female allies have a difference of opinion.
- Ridiculous Future Inflation: During her radio interview, Samantha spoke of gasoline priced at $10 per gallon.
- Right-Hand Cat: Karman's cat, Delilah.
- Self-Disposing Villain: Karman McKnockside died from an overdose of nicotine.
- Shower Scenes: The first volume has two with Samantha and one with Dr. Rubin before he became Mr. Miasma.
- Sneeze of Doom: Samantha is allergic to certain herbs used in pizzerias.
- Take That!: The museum robbers, Neal and Nikki, were named from the reply address used in a persistent spam email campaign.
- Terrible Trio: The Operator, Star and Pound.
- Webcomic Fantasy Casting:
- Ant Woman is based on Patty Maloney.
- The Operator is intended to resemble Elizabeth Ashley.
- Harriet Flynn, the lanky petty thief who impersonates Samantha Lewis, looks rather like Pam Dawber.
- Wicked Witch: Karman McKnockside again.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Karman again.