Webcomic: Accursed Dragon
is a fantasy comic created by Ryan Smith that began on October 5th, 2009. The story is set in a realm engulfed in a century-long war between the Parliament and Seditionists. Far from the main battle, a small town is saved by a hero who is revealed to be a man saying he must perform good deeds to remove a curse that turned him half dragon. This is where the comic begins.
Spoilers follow here. It's worth reading the comic first before reading the rest.
The cast of characters include:
- Coven, cursed 125 years prior to the events in the comics, he wanders the continent trying to accumulate the good needs required for the curse to be broken. He's not very good at it.
- Rawn Daphne Braden, a charming young woman with amateur magical powers. Filled with the spirit of helping others, Rawn accompanies Coven on his quest.
- Servant of Magicka, is a phantom-like ally who materializes when a friend beckons. Servant is an inquisitive being whose powers include shape shifting, mind reading and phasing through solid objects.
- Wizard, the initial antagonist of Coven and Rawn. Wizard is a selfish, misogynist creep who is only happy when getting what he wants. Magic is his primary passion and is adept in its many forms. Wizard's name and origin have not been revealed, so everyone addresses him by this title (except Humpbrett, who refers to Wizard as "master").
- Humpbrett is the diminutive assistant to Wizard. Unlike his master, Humpbrett is generally kind and helpful to others. His loyalty lies exclusively with Wizard, however. Humpbrett loves cats.
- Sansregret once acted as a lieutenant in the Corvus army until joining team Wizard. She is very malicious, conceited and seems to get along perfectly with her new partner. Sansregret has no memories of her past, thanks to Lord Dudgeon, but has access to a powerful arsenal of spells from the magic helmet she summons.
- other characters who appear:
- Romyn Braden, Rawn's older brother who fought in the Battle of Vangarde and lost his arm to a golem.
- Lord Dudgeon is the acting Lord of War of Corvus (formally the Eastern Province) who spearheaded the war against the Parliament.
- Doctor Sharpe acted as the town doctor in Elgin (Rawn's home town) and now teaches at the Lavenham University. Doctor Sharpe considers Rawn family and acts as her mentor.
- Damskov is another of Lord Dudgeon's lieutenants. He is a master strategist and is famous for the helmet he forever wears.
- Lalancette Danton, also known as Earl Danton, or Lance. As his father, the Duke of Castle Morden, engages in affairs with the Parliament, Lalancette rules over Castle Morden and safeguards the Southern Province from Seditionists.
- Scarrow, the ranger who does whatever you need for the right price.
- Doctor Sian is a professor at Lavenham University who specializes in the human psyche.
- Samuels acts as Chief of Security in the city of Lavenham and is good friends with Lalancette Danton.
- The Governor keeps the city of Lavenham under strict Parliament rule, with very little tolerance for anyone magically gifted.
- Pidherny Sophasath is an enigmatic elder who seems to know much more of what's happening in the realm than anyone else.
Accursed Dragon contains examples of:
- Animal Eye Spy: The Tiger Eye allows its user to see from the perspective of anything depicting a tiger.
- Animate Dead: It's commented that Lord Dudgeon has a unique gift to animate the dead. This comment is validated when it's revealed a golem's body is nothing but animated corpses.
- Animal Superheroes: Coven has shown examples of regeneration/quick healing, physical endurance, tolerance to poisons and is an animal...
- Art Evolution: Definite improvement of character designs and details are added more and more as the comics progress.
- Beast Man: Coven.
- Big Bad: It was foreshadowed near the very beginning that Lord Dudgeon was the malevolent force behind everything bad in this world, but hints are popping up that something worse is lurking behind the scenes.
- Bigger Bad: Despond, the malevolent presence in Wizard's pyramid.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Wizard sure delights in causing mayhem when trying to get what he wants, but his plots just don't work out very well.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: "Take them to...the bath!"
- Curse Cut Short: Quick! Cover the kitty's ears!
- Cursed with Awesome: Coven, for not doing any good deeds nearly 100 years ago, was turned into a dragon.
- Embarrassing First Name: Lalancette. Wizards mocks him for it to make Lalancette obsessed with proving his manliness.
- Evil Laugh: Lord Dudgeon does it and it's very creepy!
- Evil Makeover: When Wizard uses a spell from his book on Sansregret, she almost becomes a brand new woman.
- For Science!: Doctor Sharpe is seen holding a turtle over a candle to see if it sweats. Why? "Science, my dear. SCIENCE!"
- Genuine Human Hide: Rawn attempts to turn Coven human again with magic, but it only affects his shirt, turning it into human skin.
- Get a Room!: A non-romantic example; Wizard shouts this to Lalancette and Coven as the latter two wrestle in a cemetery.
- I Have No Idea What I'm Doing: Sansregret says something along those lines here.
- Kick the Dog: This is how you know Scarrow isn't nice!
- Imagine Spot: Lalancette gets one when Coven says that Rawn can make him a sword out of wood.
- Meaningful Name: Sansregret. ("Sans" means "without.")
- Mood Whiplash : Oh so much. It can be hilarious or startling.
- Mr. Fanservice: For someone who's supposed to be a hideous monster, Coven has a lot of shirtless and bathing scenes.
- Named Weapons:
- Ravaging Blade
- Helmet of Harrow
- No Indoor Voice: The Servant of Magicka.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Wizard as The Inspector.
- Perma Stubble: Coven, once he is capable of growing facial hair. It eventually becomes a proper beard.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Time Kitty
- Rule of Three: Squeak squeak squeak.
- Running Gag: Time Kitty meows out the current hour when someone mentions the word "time" around him.
- Shirtless Scene: Coven has a lot of them.
- On April 1st, 2010 an Accursed Dragon comic was put up featuring many webcomic cameos.
- A painting of Hanna (from Octopus Pie) in a princess outfit.
- Young Kate Beaton (from Hark A Vagrant) and her fat pony.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Demonstrated in these two panels.
- Stable Time Loop: Deacon / Lord Dudgeon has lived through the same century four times, trying to prevent the rise of Despond and failing each time.
- The Heart: Rawn
- Themed Aliases: Coven tends to anagram the names of the towns he's in to use as aliases.
- Transformation Comic: Time Kitty came into being from a rather ornate looking clock after Wizard tested a spell from his newly acquired Book of Magicka.
- Not to mention that Coven was transformed into a dragon, and Humpbrett is implied to have been transformed into a human.
- Vancian Magic: How Wizard's spell book works. Each spell can only be used once, and then disappears forever.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: After discovering Rawn can use magic, Coven orders her to cast a levitation spell on him. She accidentally casts it on his clothes instead.
- Was Once a Man: Coven.
- We Can Rule Together: Damskov proposed this idea to Lalancette Danton near the end of the siege of Lavenham.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist:
- Lalancette Danton (on his father's orders) basically opened the gates for the invading Corvus army to take over the Southern Province. His reasoning was he'd end the century long war and bring a new age of peace by helping Lord Dudgeon achieve his victory for Corvus (the Eastern Province).
- Lord Dudgeon may have brought about this war in the first place in an attempt to thwart an entirely separate, baleful entity.
- You Were Trying Too Hard: The Ritske riddle found by Rawn, Coven and Lalancette inside an empty coffin.