Kirby's Dream Land
(known as Hoshi no Kābī 星のカービィ in Japan) is a 1992 video game that was released for the Game Boy
. It was also released for the Nintendo 3DS in 2011 and appeared in Kirby's Dream Collection
. It was Kirby's first adventure. The story is that King Dedede and his followers steal Dream Land's food and the Sparkling Stars that are used to harvest it. Kirby sets off and rescues the food and the stars from King Dedede.
The game also features the following tropes:
- Acrofatic: Not only is King Dedede fat, he moves very fast.
- Big Bad: King Dedede.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: You can't copy abilities, slide, or save progress after beating a stage.
- Nintendo Hard: The extra mode can be very punishing to unfamiliar players. Enemy damage is doubled and they move faster, some enemies have newer strategies, and the final boss moves much faster. New enemies have been added in place of some weaker enemies.
- One-Hit Kill: Something that is rare for a Kirby game: Touching the Gordos in Mt. Dedede instantly kills Kirby, regardless of how much HP he had.
- Videogame Settings:
- Wake-Up Call Boss: Whispy Woods in Extra Mode. He drops Gordos, which do three units of damage out of six. And while he does that, you need to look for apples to fire at him. He's arguably the hardest boss in Extra Mode.