~Circumstances to serve a noble
~ is an otome game from Quinrose set in the same universe as Arabians Lost
, proved to be popular enough to warrant a fan disk and a short manga not to mention several ports, drama CD's and some novelized books with side stories.
Sheila Rozann as a kid, was sold by her family as a slave. She met a demon while she was at the slaver's place who told her that she would be successful and offered her a Faustian Bargain
. She was later bought by an assassins guild and was trained to be an assassin. But after a little fight with the guild master, a legendary assassin, she was sold again. Now, to be a bodyguard for the nobility.
Sheila now the head maid under the service of the second prince Edvard Winfree, would do anything to assist him to the throne.
The first game provides examples of:
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Sheila & Justin, Sheila & Marshall also Sheila & Varchia.
- Badass Adorable: Lilley.
- Badass Longcoat: Justin loves these.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Justin has this with Sheila in his route until he cannot bear it anymore.
- Berserk Button: Don't dare to joke about hurting Edvard in front of Sheila... also it would be in your best interest not to mention magic at all.
- Bishōnen: Well it is an otome game.
- Bishie Sparkle: Edvard carries it around also his and Justin's ready to fight CG's have them.
- Body Horror: When Varchia was an slave, they cut her feet so she didn't run away!!
- Bratty Half-Pint: Lilley
- Break the Cutie: Edvard went trough this when he was a kid.
- Canon Immigrant: Curtis Nile, Chezjka, Meissen & Michael , all from Arabians Lost.
- Cool Big Sis: Lilley sees Sheila as this.
- Dances and Balls: Well it's the nobility, what were you expecting?
- Dark and Troubled Past: Sheila's past counts, also Edvard's and to some degree Justin's.
- Deal with the Devil: When Sheila was a child, the demon Michael freed her from slavery. In exchange, she will belong to him when she dies. Sheila isn't very bothered by this, saying it was better than the alternative, and that she doesn't plan on dying for a long time.
- Establishing Character Moment: The last part of the intro of the game does an excellent job into showing Edvard's true nature.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Sheila when she decides to let it down once and for all near the end of Crimson Royale.
- First Guy Wins: No matter what, in the end Sheila's soul will belong to Michael.
- Genre Savvy / Wrong Genre Savvy: Justin gets this a lot in his route, he always imagines things that are common for these games(so he is right on the genre) however Quinrose heroines are different from others, so his guesses tend to be wrong.
- The Glomp: Lilley will stop everything she is doing to jump on Sheila.
- Gory Discretion Shot: While mostly subverted The Reveal that Sheila was the one to kill Edvard's mother shows a CG slightly covered in black.
- Graceful Loser: Justin.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Pretty much Edvard's ultimate objective with respect of Justin.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Justin starts as this, Edvard however is this towards Justin ALL THE TIME.
- Limited Wardrobe: Which makes no sense considering most of the cast are nobles.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Bryon, Rambures and Ronalus (who even says that is a secret how he keeps it so pretty).
- Megane: Edvard's disguise has this, also Justin tries it to get rid of Sheila... it didn't work.
- Meido: Sheila.
- Multiple Endings: You can get multiple endings depending on the support and affection raised, also Michael & Justin both have bad ends apart of the good ones.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Medusa also, In-Universe Curtis Nile.
- Nice Hat: Bryon has one that looks like a pirate hat, he likes it very much.
- Nobody Touches the Hair: Sheila absolutely refuses to cut her hair, even though long hair is a liability in a fight.
- Non-Action Guy: Bryon, this sort of embarrasses him.
- Nonstandard Game Over: If you don't participate in the duels before turn 50 Sheila will be visited by Curtis... well it's pretty obvious she didn't live to tell the tale, also not attending the duels from turn 50 onwards get you a visit by Medusa instead with the same results.
- Parental Abandonment
- Pimped-Out Dress: Justin makes Sheila wear lots of these in the game and in supplemental materials.
- Plucky Girl: Sheila.
- Power Trio
- Pretty in Mink
- Random Encounters: Part of the RPG elements of the game.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The piglets are this to the point that even the people affected by them doesn't really want to get rid of them.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: In pretty much all routes but is particularly more obvious in Marshall's.
- She's Got Legs
- Shipper on Deck: Lilley becomes this for Bryon and Sheila just because she wants to have Sheila as her big sister for real. Also once Sheila becomes Justin's girlfriend Marshall becomes this for them.
- Shout-Out: Several to Arabians Lost and Wizard & Master.
- Single-Stroke Battle: Justin is so strong he solves like this most of his battles.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: Curtis.
- Smug Snake: Edvard even if he is not a bad guy.
- Spell My Name with an S: Caused for how the voiced character pronounce certain names, we get things like Harukia and Oranus intead of Varchia and Haurane.
- Stepford Smiler: Edvard, well it comes with the job if Sheila is right.
- Stock Footage: Several CG's have minimal changes, or none in different scenes.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Justin starts out as this, most of the time however is Marshall's duty.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Justin full stop.
- The Tease: Sheila.
- Those Two Guys: Meissen and Michael.
- Together in Death: Apart for the obvious mentioned in first guy wins, several bad endings have Sheila doing this for Edvard.
- Training from Hell: Chezjka is willing to Kill Curtis if she gets the chance because of this.
- Tsundere: In Meissen's head Sheila is A-type towards him.
- The Worf Effect: To show off how strong Ronalus is we get to see how Sheila & Marshall get really badly defeated by him.
- Yandere: Edvard has this in shades, arguably so does Justin.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Sheila's maid uniform and civilian clothes sport A type.