Recap: The Simpsons S 19 E 8 Funeral For A Fiend
A night at a rib restaurant turns into yet another plot for Sideshow Bob to kill The Simpson family, but the whole scheme turns into a family affair when Bart kills his mortal enemy by throwing away his nitroglycerine (which Sideshow Bob needs for his heart) and the rest of the Terwiligers go after Bart for killing Bob.
- A Fool for a Client: Sideshow Bob represented himself when taken to court.
- All Just a Dream: The scene where Sideshow Bob kills the Simpsons as they are celebrating defeating him again. As it happens, he really didn't take this defeat so well...
- Bait and Switch: At first, it seems like Sideshow Bob is just going to stab Bart in the funeral home. The second Bart jumps into his coffin, however, he locks it and activates the conveyor belt into the incinerator.
- Comically Missing the Point: Homer once Wes Doobner's restaurant is revealed to be Sideshow Bob's trap.Sideshow Bob: Before you die, perhaps you'd like to know how I engineered my ultimate revenge.Homer: I'd like to know if Wes Doobner is aware of what you're doing in his restaurant!Sideshow Bob: I'm Wes Doobner!Homer: Mr. Doobner, I have a complaint: I work hard and when I go out with my family I expect a certain level of basic—Sideshow Bob: Shut up!
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Bart manages to accidentally kill Sideshow Bob by tossing away the nitroglycerin he needs for his heart. Subverted when it turns out he was Faking the Dead.
- Eureka Moment: What makes Lisa realize Bob's real plan? Milhouse wanting to relax on the front porch, saying "[His] feet are killing [him]."
- Faking the Dead: Sideshow Bob
- The Family That Slays Together: Sideshow Bob, his wife, his son, his brother and his parents.
- Foreshadowing: When Lisa fast forwards through those 10 commercials to get back to Itchy and Scratchy after hooking up the TiVo, the commercial for "Wes Doobner's World Famous Family Style Rib Huts" is seen amongst them.
- Manipulative Bastard: Bob manipulates everyone in Springfield into hating Bart just so he can cremate Bart.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Sideshow Bob misquoting Macbeth. Which Lisa later realizes was intentional.
- Significant Anagram: "Wes Doobner's World Famous Family Style Rib Huts" is an anagram for "Sideshow Bob's World Famous Family Style Return". Lisa and Sideshow Bob bring it up after the Simpsons fall for the trap.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Lampshaded. As Lisa is explaining what Sideshow Bob's actual plan was (getting Bart cremated in his place) in the car, Homer asks if he can pull over now since he was circling the funeral home "for 10 minutes" while waiting for her to finish.
- Villain Ball: Sideshow Bob ends up foiling his own scheme when he uses his explosive laptop to look up information on the Internet. Subverted when it turns out this was part of his actual plan to kill Bart.