Recap / The Simpsons S 19 E 7 Husbands And Knives
The Comic Book Guy's store faces competition from a new store with better comics and a more personable proprietor (voiced by musician and comic actor Jack Black). Meanwhile, Marge starts a Curves-style gym for the average woman, and Homer becomes hooked to plastic surgery after worrying that Marge's success will lead her to trade up for someone younger and sexier.
- As Themselves: Alan Moore, Art Spiegelman and Dan Clowes.
- Body Horror: How Homer ended up looking after the numerous cosmetic operations. The climax just seems to have All Just a Dream.
- Cutaway Gag: After Bart points out that Milo wears a porkpie hat, it cuts to Homer at his work station drooling "Mmm... porkpie."
- Department of Redundancy Department: A hotel sign reads "Welcome Lady Businessladies".
- Ignored Expert: When one of the husbands gives Homer tips on how to stay attractive to his wife so she doesn't leave him for a younger man, Homer ignores him as his advice would require effort andd instead opts for plastic surgery.
- Halfway Plot Switch/What Happened to the Mouse?: The Comic Book Guy plot is the main focus of the first act, but it's completely dropped with no resolution to make way for the Marge story.
- Laser-Guided Karma: To the Comic Book Guy, who ended up out of business due to his miserliness and cruelty to his customers.
- Murder by Inaction: The trio of authors/superheroes realize a meteor is coming for Springfield, but leave as they consider a convention for underpaid writers more important.
- Pygmalion Snap Back: Homer winds up looking exactly how he did before after Marge had a surgeon undo the stomach stapling.
- Self-Made Man: Marge.
- Shout-Out: Lisa discovers the Tintin and Asterix comic strip section and says: "I thought these only existed in French class." She then picks up an album named Tintin in Paris, which doesn't exist in the Tintin series, but is a mishmash of the album cover of Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, combined with content imagery of The Black Island and Destination Moon.
- Spoof Aesop: Homer says using surgery to improve one's looks is a bad idea because medical science has yet to evolve to the point of fixing all kinks.
- Take That: To Oprah and her longtime boyfriend, Steadman Graham. During an appearance on Opal, Marge inquires as to when "Straightman" will finally pop the question and she in turns hands out expensive German cuckoo clocks to excited audience members as a means of distraction.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Played with, as Homer wants to avoid being a starter husband (as he and another guy are the only original husbands of the successful women) and opts for his plastic surgery.
- Weight Woe: The reason why Marge decides to create Shapes in the first place.