Recap / The Simpsons S 12 E 12 Tennis The Menace
The Simpsons install a tennis court in their backyard after Homer is told that a mausoleum he wants for the still-alive Grampa Simpson would need enough concrete for a tennis court — and it ends up tearing the family apart when Homer's goofing off becomes gossip fodder for the neighborhood and Marge decides to trade him in for Bart.
- Art Shift: Like season seven's "Radioactive Man," this episode used digital ink and paint rather than traditional cel animation in the days before cel animation would fall out of fashion and digital ink and paint would be a thing. And much like "Radioactive Man," fans responded unfavorably to the change.
- Flushing Toilet, Screaming Shower: Bart turns on the kitchen faucet while Homer is showering, and finds that he can play Homer's screams like a musical instrument.
- Jerkass: Surprisingly, Marge is an even bigger jerkass in this episode then Homer. He ends up getting a tennis court in the backyard and has fun with it and makes his friends and neighbors laugh and enjoy themselves. Marge gets embarassed and outright tells him to stop having fun and play seriously.
- Plus once Homer signs them up for a just for fun tournament to see how they do, she immediately ditches him for Bart and barely expresses any remorse throughout the entire episode.
- Admittedly, Homer dumping Lisa for Serena Williams was cruel, but Marge did it too.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Homer is allowed to have fun playing tennis even if Marge is being a Sore Loser.
- Shout-Out: The title is an allusion to Dennis the Menace (US) .