Recap / The Simpsons S 12 E 13 Day Of The Jackanapes
Once again, Krusty cancels his show (this time, because of Executive Meddling
and the growing popularity of big-money game shows) and hosts a farewell special. And once again, Sideshow Bob returns to kill Bart and Krusty by brainwashing Bart into being an Action Bomb
- And This Is For...: At the night of Krusty's final episode, the hypnotized Bart says, "This is for Sideshow Bob" before barbecuing Krusty with a flamethrower. Thankfully it was All Just a Dream.
- Bait-and-Switch: As Krusty looks back on his TV career, he shows his audience his TV debut where he played "Kaputnick, the Russian satellite" on "The Milk of Magnesia Summer Cavalcade". The harness he wore for the performance gave him some discomfort, leading him to belt out "The bolshoi's doing the nutcracker in my pants!" in front of a shocked audience. The Krusty of today then explains, "Back then, you couldn't say 'pants' on TV."
- Big Damn Heroes: Mr. Teeny saves Krusty by disposing the bomb strapped to Bart.
- Blatant Lies: Bob has the brainwashed Bart cover for where he was while getting brainwashed by telling Marge he was "at the flower shop." Unfortunately Marge is more suspicious over Homer using the exact same excuse to cover a trip to Moe's.
- Callback: "Rakes, my arch enemy."
Bart: I thought I was your arch-enemy.
Bob: I have a life outside of you, Bart.
- Captain Ersatz: The episode opens with Moe as a contestant on "Me Wantee", an obvious ripoff of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
Host: Is that your ultimate response?
- Catch Phrase: The male network executive has "I was just thinking that" in response to whatever Lindsay Naegle's just said.
- Chirping Crickets: See Self-Deprecation.
- Comically Missing the Point: In response to Krusty announcing that the next show is going to be his last because he's fed up with the executives, the male one responds that he "like(s) the area, but where does it go?"
- A Day in the Limelight / Villain Episode: This Sideshow Bob episode focuses mostly on him.
- Dream Sequence: Sideshow Bob dreams of Bart killing Krusty with a flamethrower.
- Executive Meddling: Krusty tries to continue his show with integrity, even as the executives keep harassing him behind the scenes of a live taping. He finally breaks down when Lindsay Naegle sneaks herself into an Italian restaurant sketch disguised as a waitress.
- Foreshadowing: One of the executives is dragged by Krusty's golf cart, just like the T-1000, foreshadowing The Reveal that both executives are made of liquid metal, also like the T-1000.
- Glad I Thought of It: Inverted example: In response to Krusty's on-air rant about not needing the network executives "telling (him) which way to pee," the male executive asks Krusty if he could substitute "pee" for "whiz". He responds with "I was just thinking that" when Lindsay Naegle points out that that might upset the Cheese Whiz people.
- Groin Attack: Bob tests his brainwashing by commanding Bart to attack a Krusty statue at the Krusty Burger with a bat. Bart proceeds to whale at where Krusty's groin would be.
Sideshow Bob: Hahaha Yes! YES! WORK THE GROIN!
- Hookers and Blow: Heavily implied by Krusty before the final scene of his farewell show where he apologizes and pays tribute to Bob:
"Over the years, I [inhales] a lot of [in a deep, bellowing voice] "Whoa!" and I [while gyrating his pelvis] "guh-guh!" a lot of [while forming a shape of a woman with his hands] "A-WOO-GA!"
- Kangaroo Court: Sideshow Bob will be lucky if he has at least that considering Chief Wiggum was up to executing him without holding the "customary" trial before.
- Lame Pun Reaction: When Sideshow Bob's plan goes into motion, he attempts a witty remark alluding to The Napoleonic Wars:
Well, Krusty, this is your Waterloo. Soon, you'll be Napoleon Blown-aparte
. Stage Hand:
Ugh, terrible! Bob:
Oh, hush up, Leo.
- Manchurian Agent
- Missing Steps Plan: When Bob reviews his master plan for Bart.
Bob Let's see: "Get job as school janitor", "Lure Bart to shed", "Secure same to chair with rope"... Ah, here we are: "Have Bart kill Krusty".
- Police Are Useless: Chief Wiggum sees Bart destroying the Krusty statue with Sideshow Bob cheering him on, but doesn't give it a second thought. "It's so great seeing a kid use a wooden bat. These days, it's all aluminum this, and George W. that."Trivia
- Self-Deprecation: In response to Krusty going off the air, Marge says, "I think it's a good thing for a show to go off the air before it becomes stale and repetitive." Just then, Smithers runs in yelling that Maggie shot Mr. Burns again.
- The Stinger: Krusty saying, "Mukluk."note
- Take That!: Sideshow Bob says being clubbed with Tom Clancy's books is less painful than reading them.
- Villain Decay: Bart is not intimidated by Bob, citing his previous victories over him.
Bob: (with malice)
Hello, Bart. Bart:
Oh, it's you, Bob. How you doin'? Bob:
No screams? Not even an "eep"?