Recap: The Simpsons S 12 E 13 Day Of The Jackanapes
Once again, Krusty cancels this show (this time, because of Executive Meddling and the growing popularity of big-money game shows) and hosts a farewell special. And once again, Sideshow Bob returns to kill Bart and Krusty by brainwashing Bart into being an Action Bomb.
- All Television Is Live: The Krusty the Clown Show is broadcasted live, complete with Executive Meddling during the procedure.
- Bait and Switch: As Krusty looks back on his TV career, he shows his audience his TV debut where he played "Kaputnick, the Russian satellite" on "The Milk of Magnesia Summer Cavalcade". The harness he wore for the performance gave him some discomfort, leading him to belt out "The bolshoi's doing the nutcracker in my pants!" in front of a shocked audience. The Krusty of today then explains, "Back then, you couldn't say 'pants' on TV."
- Big Damn Heroes: Mr. Teeny saves Krusty by disposing the bomb strapped to Bart.
- Callback: "Rakes, my arch enemy."Bart: I thought I was your arch-enemy.
Bob: I have a life outside of you, Bart.
- Captain Ersatz: The episode opens with Moe as a contestant on "Me Wantee", an obvious ripoff of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?Host: Is that your ultimate response?
- Chirping Crickets: See Self-Deprecation.
- Cut Song: "Hullaba Lula", a song sung by Sideshow Bob about him framing Bart for killing Krusty. However, the producers couldn't obtain the rights to parody "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah". It can be found on the "Testify" album as the first bonus track.
- Dream Sequence: Sideshow Bob dreams of Bart killing Krusty with a flamethrower.
- Executive Meddling: Krusty tries to continue his show with integrity, even as the executives keep harassing him behind the scenes of a live taping. He finally breaks down when one of the execs sneaks herself into an Italian restaurant sketch disguised as a waitress.
- Foreshadowing/Hilarious in Hindsight: In one scene, Rainer Wolfcastle is shown to be out of work and bankrupt. He desperately pleads with movie producers to be offered any acting roles available, proclaiming "I do nude scene, I play nerd!" Both of these statements would come to fruition in later episodes (he stars in the film Undercover Nerd in "The Bart Wants What It Wants" and alludes to performing a full-frontal nude scene in "The Great Louse Detective").
- One of the executives is dragged by Krusty's golf cart, just like the T-1000, foreshadowing The Reveal that both executives are made of liquid metal, also like the T-1000.
- Groin Attack: Bob tests his brainwashing by commanding Bart to attack a Krusty statue at the Krusty Burger with a bat. Bart proceeds to wail at where Krusty's groin would be.
- Kangaroo Court: Sideshow Bob will be lucky if he has at least that considering Chief Wiggum was up to executing him without holding the "customary" trial before.
- Lame Pun Reaction: When Sideshow Bob's plan goes into motion, he attempts a witty remark alluding to the Napoleonic Wars:Bob: Well, Krusty, this is your Waterloo. Soon, you'll be Napoleon Blown-aparte.
Stage Hand: Ugh, terrible!
Bob: Oh, hush up, Leo.
- Manchurian Agent
- Missing Steps Plan: When Bob reviews his master plan for Bart.Bob Let's see: "Get job as school janitor", "Lure Bart to shed", "Secure same to chair with rope"... Ah, here we are: "Have Bart kill Krusty".
- Police Are Useless: Chief Wiggum sees Bart destroying the Krusty statue with Sideshow Bob cheering him on, but doesn't give it a second thought. "It's so great seeing a kid use a wooden bat. These days, it's all aluminum this, and George W. that."Trivia
- Self-Deprecation: In response to Krusty going off the air, Marge says, "I think it's a good thing for a show to go off the air before it becomes stale and repetitive." Just then, Smithers runs in yelling that Maggie shot Mr. Burns again.
- The title is based off The Day of the Jackal, but the bulk of the plot - brainwashing someone into an assassin - is from The Manchurian Candidate.
- The studio executives are based on the T-1000 from Terminator 2: Judgment Day, from one hanging off the back of a golf cart to both being made of a silver metal and congealing into one when blown up.
- The Stinger: Krusty saying, "Mukluk."note
- Villain Decay: Bart is not intimidated by Bob, citing his previous victories over him.Bob: (with malice) Hello, Bart.
Bart: Oh, it's you, Bob. How you doin'?
Bob: No screams? Not even an "eep"?