Recap: The Simpsons S 9 E 21 Girly Edition
Episode - 5F15First Aired - 4/19/1998
Because of the FCC's push for more educational programming for children, Krusty is forced to cut ten minutes (out of three hours) of his show for a kids' news program. Lisa is hired as the head anchor, but it's Bart who becomes famous when his over-the-top sports news segment gets him the co-anchor seat and he uses his new position to report sappy human interest stories instead of news stories that matter. Meanwhile, Homer adopts a helper monkey named Mojo after seeing a wheelchair-bound Apu use one, but Homer ends up turning the monkey into a slob.
This episode has the following tropes:
- Accidental Misnaming: The executive gets Lisa's name wrong:
Executive: You could learn a lot from him, Mary Ann.
Lisa: It's Lisa.
Executive: (cheerfully) Mary Ann's better!
- Bait and Switch: After Bart's segment on a pond that no longer has ducks swimming in it, we cut to Mr. Burns watching the show at his mansion.
: (wiping tears) Smithers, do you think my power plant could have killed those ducks? Smithers
: There's... no "maybe" about it, sir. Mr. Burns
: (sniffs) Excellent.
- At first it looks like Grampa is happy to have Mojo for his helper abilities, but when Homer drives away with Mojo, Grampa says to himself, "I can't wait to eat that monkey!"
- Cancellation: The ultimate fate of the kid's news show. Played with, in that no sooner do Bart and Lisa agree to work together instead of against each other, that the show is canned. The Mattel and Mars Bars Quick Energy Chocobot Hour takes its slot.
- Evil Laugh: Lisa provides one at the end of act two when she gets an idea of how to upstage Bart. She is joined by Mojo in short order.
- I Ate WHAT?:
Marge: Why didn't you tell me you were bringing home a filthy monkey?
Homer: This "filthy monkey" made the orange juice you're drinking!
(Marge, mid-sip, spits it out)
- Jerkass: Lisa. She ends up super jealous of Bart and intentionally sabotages him and nearly gets him killed in the process. Luckily she learns her lesson.
- Padding: In-universe, Krusty the Clown's show is definitely this.
Krusty: Well you're not taking any time out of my show. It's jammed up as it is. There's the monologue, those idiot puppets, Krusty's Nap Time, Paul Harvey, Senor Papino, I tell ya, it's the tightest three hours and ten minutes on TV!
Executive: We're cutting ten minutes from your show.
Krusty: Well, I guess we can trim the Hobo Parade to a lean twenty.
- Perfectly Cromulent Word:
: Lisa, Bart's got something you can't learn in school. Zazz! Lisa
: What is 'zazz'? Executive
: Zing! Zork! Kapowza! Call it what you want, in any language it spells mazuma in the bank! Lisa
: "Zork"? What is "zork"? Executive
: I didn't say "zork".
- Potty Failure: Milhouse does a bit on the kid's news show about how to hide the evidence when you've accidentally wet the bed.
- The Prima Donna: Kent Brockman.
Kent: (to stage hand) WHERE THE HELL'S MY GRILLED CHEESE?!
- Product Placement / Toyetic: The Mattel and Mars Bars Quick Energy Chocobot Hour.
- Rhetorical Question Blunder: "They call her "The Cat Lady. But can anyone who loves animals that much really be crazy?" Why, yes, yes she can.