It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Recap: One Piece Water Seven Arc
After the rather terrifying encounter with Aokiji, the crew make their way to Water 7, a island known for its shipwrights, to get the Going Merry
repaired. However reaching the island proves to be the only good thing about the journey as a series of bad news and incidents threaten to tear the crew apart.
Water 7 Arc
has the following tropes
- Aerith and Bob: Iceburg, Cutty Flam, and... Tom.
- Anti-Villain: Franky, at first. His presence as the premier mob boss of Water 7 is actually his way of protecting the city he loves, especially from the WG, alongside keeping tabs on his adopted family.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Sodom and Gommorrah.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Subverted with Iceburg. He is a very good shipwright, but lacks any fighting ability.
- Badass Crew: The Galley-La.
- Batman Gambit: Nami, Zoro and Chopper attempt one regarding Luffy when he runs off to break into the now-heavily guarded Galley-La HQ a second time. Figuring he'd break in through the front door, they decide to do the same, figuring the guards would all be busy chasing after him...only to jump the gate and realize all the guards are right where they're supposed to be, and Luffy isn't there (though to be fair, their guess was right; Luffy was planning to go in the front door, but he got incapacitated along the way.
- Berserk Button: Never attack one of the Straw Hats, and rob them. Bad idea.
- Paulie keeps criticizing women who wear Stripperific outfits.
- Bond Breaker
- Big Bad: Franky initially, before the CP9 reveal themselves.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Pretty much all the workers of Galley-La. They all have strange and silly quirks, but they are some of the world's best shipwrights and extremely Bad Ass when they beat up any pirate looking for trouble. Their leader and mayor Iceburg is also this.
- Catch Phrase: Kalifa: "That's sexual harassment".
- Cerebus Syndrome: By and far one of the darkest arcs of the series.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and Chopper vs the Franky Family. Result: Bye-bye, Franky House.
- Cycle of Revenge: This was fortunately averted. The Franky Family beat up Usopp while stealing the crew's money. The Straw Hats retaliated by destroying their house and everyone in it. Franky finds out his True Companions were beaten up and hunted down Luffy to get even. However, due to certain circumstances, the Straw Hats and the Franky Family would become allies and they forgive each other.
- Darkest Hour: An entire arc of it. Things don't get this dark again until Sabaody.
- Face-Heel Turn: Robin appears to have done one. Turns out she was given a Sadistic Choice.
- A Father to His Men: Franky immediately ran out in search for Luffy after him and three other crew members beat up his gang and wrecked his house.
- Foreshadowing: Before arriving to Water 7, Luffy draws a picture◊ of what his future shipwright should look like. It happened to look a lot like Franky.
- Enies Lobby is mentioned in passing before it becomes the focus of the next arc.
- The Gates of Justice, Impel Down, and Marineford are also mentioned it passing, foreshadowing the Summit War Saga.
- Franky's conversation with Kokoro has the latter warn him about a branch of Cipher Pol so secretive that its existed in rumor, and their possible involvement with Iceburg.
- It's also mentioned how strange it is that there's a Sea Train scheduled to arrive during the Aqua Laguna. It's later revealed that CP9 plan to make their getaway on it.
- From Bad to Worse: Let's see — being told the Going Merry is unfixable, losing their hard earned money from Skypiea, Usopp leaving the Straw Hats and fighting Luffy over the ship, Robin disappearing and the crew being pinned the blame on Iceburg's assassination attempt, and of course the incident in the city's town hall the following night.
- Giant Wall of Watery Doom: The Aqua Laguna.
- Improbable Weapon User: Most of the Galley-La use saws, scalpels, and wooden beams as weapons. Paulie even uses ropes and knots.
- Kick the Dog: Invoked. Lucci tells Paulie that if the idea that himself, Kaku, Kalifa, and Bluneo are actually Government agents is too hard to believe, he is willing to step on Iceburg's face to help convince him.
- Mêlée à Trois: Luffy and Franky are fighting over their respective grudges (Luffy wants revenge for the Franky Family attacking and robbing Usopp while Franky wants revenge against Luffy for destroying his house). Then the Galley-La shipwrights attack Luffy, mistakenly believing that he sent Robin to shoot their leader Iceburg while also attacking Franky for getting in their way.
- Misblamed: See "It Got Worse".
- The Mole: It's quite frightening that three of the moles were actually in Iceburg's inner circle and the fourth one was a regular he interacted with. Kalifa was even planted by the government even before Iceburg became mayor, knowing he had the blueprints for Pluton.
- Moment of Weakness: While in a heated argument with Usopp, Luffy tells him that if Usopp didn't like the way he did things then he should just leave the crew. Sanji immediately stepped in to shut Luffy up, and Luffy apologized as soon as he realized what he'd said. But the damage had been done, Usopp took Luffy at his word, and (temporarily) left the crew. However, Zoro does point out that Luffy was indeed the captain and he ultimately has to do what's best for the crew even if the rest don't always agree as in this case, otherwise he'd never grow as a captain.
- Mr. Vice Guy: Paulie, whose Establishing Character Moment was running from a bunch of debtors.
- Mugging the Monster: In the Franky Family's first appearance, they attempted to attack Zoro while he was sleeping. After that, they attacked Lucci and Paulie. And later, after they beat up Usopp and stole the crew's money, they had to deal with Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and Chopper.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Iceburg. He kept government agents at bay for years thanks to this.
- Poor Communication Kills: Usopp interprets Luffy's decision to stop trying to fix the unfixable Merry in the worst possible way, assuming he's just 'dumping' whatever becomes useless. He also fails to tell anyone that he suspects Merry's sentient, which would've gone a long way toward explaining his behavior.
- Properly Paranoid: Iceburg handed the Pluton blueprints off to Franky (who was thought to be dead) because he believes the World Government is on him. He was right.
- Took a Level in Badass: Usopp during his fight against Luffy. He doesn't win, but surprisingly manages to give Luffy a very tough time during the bout with his use of weapons.
- Undying Loyalty: Franky Family are extremely loyal to Franky, willing to go to Enies Lobby to rescue their leader. Likewise, Paulie, Lulu and Tilestone wanted to get even with their previous friends who tried to assassinate Iceburg.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: It's revealed that Franky and Iceburg were once this. The "vitriol" part was really emphasized as their reunion since Tom's death had both of them viciously arguing over his memory, and blaming each other for it. However, Iceburg was reduced to tears of joy from Franky alive again, and likewise Franky was stunned when CP9 told him that they had killed him (they didn't thanks to the last minute rescue from Chopper but still...).
- Wham Episode: Try a Wham Arc!