Recap / One Piece Davy Back Fight Arc
The crew manage to safely float down from the sky and reach their next island, Long Ring Long Land, an island that has animals stretched in length or height. They meet a nomad who's been stuck on the island for a while and offer to help him. But before they can, they're challenged by a pirate who calls himself Foxy the Silver Fox in a game of Davy Back Fight, where the losers can lose their crew members.
Davy Back Fight Arc has the following tropes:
- Adaptation Expansion: The anime adds three more games to the arc since at the time Oda had just reached Water 7 and needed some time get ahead. So as such after Groggy Ring, Luffy ends up picking Shelly who the Foxy Pirates captured and gives back to Tonji. An anime only game, Roller Derby, was added in which the crew win and regain Chopper. Foxy coaxs Luffy into a rematch and they play three more games: Pirate Dodgeball (which the crew lose and lose Robin in the process), Red Light Green Light (which they likewise lose and re-lose Chopper again) before moving onto the canonical Combat. The stakes are also made higher by the fact that since the Straw Hats are down two games, winning the last one means they can't regain one of their lost crewmates. Thus to rectify this, Nami haggles Foxy into a winner-take-all bet with their entire crews on the line. Since Luffy's crew is short in number, the result of failure would mean their children would have to join Foxy's crew. There's also a mini-arc where the Straw Hats help Foxy regain his ship after a mutiny.
- Adaptation-Induced Plot Hole: During the Pirate Dodgeball game (anime filler), Chopper eats a second Rumble Ball shortly after the first. It was later revealed that taking a second Rumble Ball within six hours makes him lose control of transformations.
- An Ice Person: Aokiji ate the Chilly-Chilly Fruit (Hie Hie no Mi), which gave him ice-based powers.
- Bad Boss: Doflamingo, who forced Bellamy's own second-in-command Sarkiss to seemingly kill the former, for his loss to Luffy.
- Baddie Flattery: Foxy was nice enough to compliment Luffy on his new look before their fight.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: Foxy and his crew played dirty and cheated at every available moment. The Straw Hats not only played fairly but won the games.
- Big Bad: Foxy. Sorta. He the main "villain" for a majority of this arc. However once it ends...
- Post-Final Boss: Aokiji, as a Marine Admiral, and therefore one of the "Three Greatest Military Powers" takes up the mantle for end of it. His presence also kicked off the Water 7/CP9 Saga
- Brainless Beauty: Porche.
- Breather Episode: This episode was made to give the readers a break between the Skypiea arc and the Water 7 Arc
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Luffy, Robin, Zoro and Sanji vs Aokiji. It winds up with the latter two getting their limbs frozen and the former two turned to human icicles.
- Dick Dastardly Stops to Cheat: Foxy cheats so many times it actually gave the Straw Hats an advantage even when he was winning.
- Filler Arc: A surprisingly canon one for the series. Oda confessed he just did the arc for the fun of it and it has no long term effects on the story save the appearance of Aokiji.
- Foreshadowing: Aokiji mentions how Luffy is similar to his grandfather (who Luffy is deathly afraid of).
- Doflamingo declares that the pavement for the "New Era" is underway.
- Aokiji also tells Luffy (while frozen) to be wary of Nico Robin and if she stays, she'll be the end of their crew. The crew would have a breakup the next arc.
- Funny Afro: Luffy dons one for the Combat fight.
- Gory Discretion Shot: When Doflamingo uses his powers to make Sarkiss slash Bellamy with his kukri blades.
- Harmless Freezing: Averted. The dangers of Aokiji freezing Luffy and Robin solid are mentioned and shown. They take four days to fully recover.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Robin collapsed in fear the second she saw Aokiji.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: In the final attacks, Luffy uses a mirror from one of Foxy's traps to deflect his Slow Slow Beam at him. This makes Foxy vulnerable for a final super-powered punch.
- Honor Before Reason: Aokiji's honor was the only reason why he didn't capture the Straw Hats. He agreed to fight one-to-one against Luffy and not harm the crew.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: Luffy (and for that matter, Zoro and Sanji) had no chance against Admiral Aokiji, said to be one of the "Military's Greatest Powers", and one of the strongest characters in the series.
- I'm Taking Him Home With Me!: Porche's reaction upon seeing Chopper.
- Knight of Cerebus: Aokiji. As mentioned below, what was silly and fluffy fun suddenly became dark and metal, and a signal for things to come in the following arcs.
- Large Ham Announcer: The announcer of this arc constantly yells about everything in these games, to the point where Luffy asked him to shut up.
- Ms. Fanservice: Foxy Pirate crew member Gina.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Luffy nearly died in aversion of Harmless Freezing by Aokiji, yet makes absolute light of this by throwing flour on himself and replicating the pose he was stuck in.
- Magic Feather: The afro that Luffy was wearing of the Davy Back Fight.
- Mood Whiplash: After all the goofiness (if not some tense moments) of the arc, Aokiji's arrival was a sudden dark 180. A preview of things to come in the next arc.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Foxy has a fragile ego, is incredibly silly, and isn't all that tough. However, his Devil Fruit power from the Slow Slow Fruit meant he could fire his Slow Slow Beam that his opponent and pulverize them by throwing as many blows as he can before the effects of the beam run out, his opponent often getting walloped by the accumulated punishment. Luffy came very close to losing the Davy Back Fight due to this. Hell, before Luffy, he had never lost a Davy Back Fight.
- Overused Running Gag: After Luffy decides that he needs to recruit a shipwright for his crew, he once again declares that he'll get a musician as well, prompting the rest of the crew to tell him to stop obsessing over getting one.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Foxy wears one that still manages to fool Luffy.
- Quit Your Whining: Zoro to Chopper after he cries about the possibility of being in Foxy's crew.
- Red Baron: Foxy "the Silver Fox".
- Small Name, Big Ego: Foxy.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Nami brings this very trope into question during the Davy Back Fight, believing she'll be the one picked to leave the crew because of how attractive she is.
- Sore Loser: After Luffy wins the final round, Foxy extends a handshake of good sportsmanship. However when Luffy goes to take it, he tries to do an overhead throw. It fails as, thanks to Luffy's rubber body, Luffy's arm just extends and Foxy falls flat on his face.
- The anime likewise showcases this after the Straw Hats win the first round of games. Foxy instantly wants another chance since it was the first time someone bested him. Meaning he lost the Davy Back Fight twice in one day.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Possibly. After Aokiji easily beats Luffy, he wonders if Luffy challenged him to a one-on-one fight so he wouldn't go after the rest of the Straw Hats, or if Luffy actually thought he could win.
- Tournament Arc
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty: Foxy and his crew don't know the meaning of the word "playing fair". He'll win however he has to.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: Aokiji. He made Luffy realise that with guys like that threatening his crew, he can't afford to be continue his journey at his current level, and actually began to work on pushing himself in secret.
- Weak, but Skilled: Foxy isn't all that tough. He is, however, fairly good at boxing, and alongside his Slow Slow Beam, he gave Luffy a real tough time.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Doflamingo to Bellamy, supposedly.