Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 07 E 01 Night Of The Blood Beast
Films watched: Once Upon A Honeymoon (short) and Night of the Blood Beast
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation of Once Upon A Honeymoon contains examples of:
- Camp Gay: The angel was already flamboyant, but the riffing makes him out to be this.Crow: Honey, is that a gay man on the Johnsons' roof?
Servo: Should we get a gay man for our roof, honey?
- Elton John references abound as well.
- Fake Static: When the couple is pitching its completed song to the boss, Servo acts as if the office's speakerphone is going in and out, preventing them from hearing it.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: "Let's see... What rhymes with 'blue balls'?" How in the world did that get past censors? (Though Comedy Central had just as ribald material on some of its other shows at the time, possibly explaining the pass.)
- The Gods Must Be Lazy: A few riffs point out the angels are more concerned with a married couple wanting to go on their honeymoon instead of, say, world peace.
- Mundane Wish:Wife: (singing) I wish the faucets wouldn't drip all day!
Crow: Aim high, sister!
- Pun: "Oh no, angel dust!"
- Incredibly Lame Pun: As the angel disentangles himself from the TV antenna:Servo: Hey, now they'll get immaculate reception! (*snort*) Sorry.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: As the angel disentangles himself from the TV antenna:
- Shout-Out:Mike: (singing) I think owning a newspaper would be fun...!Mike: (in the voice of The Wicked Witch of the West) Poppies! (this comes after the angel on the roof sprinkles dust, triggering the wife's fantasy about having a better kitchen)Mike: (singing in the voice of Paul Rodgers) It's all part of my kitchen fantasy... (this comes at the end of the wife's imagined kitchen sequence)
- What Were They Selling Again?: Pearl acknowledges that the point of this short wasn't clear. Servo comments on it in the end."Wait a minute, what the hell was that about, anyway?"note
- The following host segment did hint that they did know what the short was about.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation of Night Of The Blood Beast contains examples of:
- Call Back: One riff references The Beast of Yucca Flats.
- Continuity Nod: Pearl's pissed off Frank's no longer around, referencing back to her debut when she and Frank were close friends (while the former was cold to Forrester.)
- Last Note Nightmare: Help, the conductor is having a seizure!
- Mr. Seahorse: Averted, much to Crow's distress.
- Obfuscating Disability: Not "disability" as such, but Crow pretends to get pregnant because he thinks people bend over backwards to give pregnant women whatever they want and he's sick of them getting a free ride."Okay, okay, I'm not pregnant! HEY, everybody, I'm not pregnant! That means I don't get a big free ride! 'Oh, my ankles are swollen! My back hurts! Carry me, I'm pregnant! Carry me!' Well, I want a cut of the action too, dammit! ... Who wouldn't wanna be pregnant, huh? Who wouldn't wanna be a big load on the rest of the world? 'Hey, everybody, I'm Queen of the World because I'm pregnant!' Then the whole world is supposed to bend over and smooch your ever-widening ass! When is it my turn? When is it Crow T. Robot's turn?" (*sobs*)
- Planet of Steves: "Steve—Steve and I have something to tell you.""Steve One, you go that way! Steve Two, come with me!""This has 'Steve' written all over it!"*offscreen crash is heard* "Steve?""Oh, Steve's name is John!"
- Re Cut / Thanksgiving Episode: The MST3K version first aired as the grand finale of Comedy Central's traditional "Turkey Day" marathon, with host segments that tied into the framing sequences shot for the rest of the marathon (featuring Dr. Forrester and Pearl inviting guest characters for Thanksgiving dinner). Future airings had a completely different set of host segments, which still established the changes for the seventh season (i.e. Pearl Forrester moving into Deep 13).
- Running Gag:
- The remarks of how Johnny is always "so dead."
- The blond photographer being unintelligent.
- The Blood Beast being like a fiance meeting hostile in-laws.
- The aforementioned Steve jokes.
- Mike and the 'Bots making parrot noises whenever the Beast is talking.
- Referring to the alien babies as shrimp ("Get the cocktail sauce...").
- Shout-Out: To Monty Python's Flying Circus: "They mean to win Wimbledon."
- Wham Episode: Both versions of the episode see Pearl moving into Deep 13 and becoming a major character.