Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 07 E 01 Night Of The Blood Beast
Films watched: Once Upon A Honeymoon
(short) and Night of the Blood Beast
- Camp Gay: The angel was already flamboyant, but the riffing makes him out to be this.
Crow: Honey, is that a gay man on the Johnson's roof?
Servo: Should we get a gay man for our roof, honey?
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: "Let's see... What rhymes with 'blue balls'?" How in the world did that get past censors? (Though Comedy Central had just as ribald material on some of its other shows at the time, possibly explaining the pass.)
- The Gods Must Be Lazy: A few riffs point out the angels are more concerned with a married couple wanting to go on their honeymoon instead of, say, world peace.
- Mundane Wish:
Wife: (singing) I wish the faucets wouldn't drip all day!
Crow: Aim high, sister!
- Pun: "Oh no, angel dust!"
- What Were They Selling Again?: Pearl acknowledges that the point of this short wasn't clear. Servo comments on it in the end.
"Wait a minute, what the hell was that about, anyway?"note
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation of Night Of The Blood Beast contains examples of:
- Call Back: One riff references The Beast of Yucca Flats.
- Continuity Nod: Pearl's pissed off Frank's no longer around, referencing back to her debut when she and Frank were close friends (while the former was cold to Forrester.)
- Last Note Nightmare: Help, the conductor is having a seizure!
- Mr. Seahorse: Averted, much to Crow's distress.
- Obfuscating Disability: Not "disability" as such, but Crow pretends to get pregnant because he thinks people bend over backwards to give pregnant women whatever they want and he's sick of them getting a free ride.
- Planet of Steves: "Steve—Steve and I have something to tell you."
"Steve One, you go that way! Steve Two, come with me!"
"This has 'Steve' written all over it!"
*offscreen crash is heard* "Steve?"
"Oh, Steve's name is John!"
- Re Cut: The MST3K version first aired as the grand finale of Comedy Central's traditional Thanksgiving Day marathon ("Turkey Day"), with host segments that tied into the framing sequences shot for the rest of the marathon (featuring Dr. Forrester and Pearl inviting guest characters for Thanksgiving dinner). Future airings had a completely different set of host segments, which still established the changes for the seventh season (i.e. Pearl Forrester moving into Deep 13).
- Running Gag:
- The remarks of how Johnny is always "so dead."
- The blond photographer being unintelligent.
- The Blood Beast being like a fiance meeting hostile in-laws.
- The aforementioned Steve jokes.
- Mike and the 'Bots making parrot noises whenever the Beast is talking.
- Referring to the alien babies as shrimp ("Get the cocktail sauce...").
- Shout-Out: To Monty Python's Flying Circus: "They mean to win Wimbledon."
- Wham Episode: Both versions of the episode see Pearl moving into Deep 13 and becoming a major character.
"A wounded animal that large isn't good."