"It sort of like "Manos" The Hands of Fate without the lucid plot."Original work: The SkydiversShort: "Why Study Industrial Arts"
The MST3K presentation contains:
- Actually Pretty Funny: Mike consoles Servo after Crow's Uranus Is Showing jokes, only to lose control of his drink when Crow says one more.
- Also sprach Zarathustra: Servo sings the opening notes at the beginning of his ill-fated planetarium show.
- Artistic License – Astronomy: A key part of the Stylistic Suck of Tom's planetarium sketch. "Mars, the brightest star in our galaxy..."
- Artistic License – Physics: Servo's astronomy presentation.Tom; We'll be traveling at about the speed of light, yes, well over 500 miles per hour!note
- Better Than Sex: Crow uses this phrase to mock the movie's fixation with coffee, as well as the lack of chemistry between the two lead characters.Beth: I made some coffee.
Crow: Coffee? Wow, that's better than sex!
- Brave Scot: The inexplicable Scotsman in full kilt is the only one at the party who has no trouble dancing with the beefy girl (see below).Servo: "Ay, a Scotsman can handle any woman!"
- Brawn Hilda: And HOW. The "beefy girl" at the party, who even picks up a guy and tosses him like a beanbag. Servo gives her a masculine, gruff voice while Mike calls her Tom Boerwinkle, a big ex-NBA player.Servo: This has turned into a John Waters movie!
- Butt-Monkey: Poor Crow, he gets cut in half, gets stuck in a double jock lock and is strafed by Tom.
- Call-Back:(driving to get acid) Crow: Manos!Crow: No, Lupita!
- The Chew Toy / Molybdenum Buttmonkey: Crow. In this episode alone, he accidentally saws himself in half, puts himself in a double jock lock, gets blasted by Servo's fighter plane, and gets tangled in his parachute, and it's all played for laughs.
- Crow tells Servo that it's the key to being a Determinator.
- Cooking Duel: Mike & The Bots vs. Deep 13 in a battle of Swing Choir medleys.
- Corpsing: In-Universe, Crow gets Mike to laugh while drinking milk.Crow: Oo-hoo! A noser!
- Disproportionate Retribution: In the opening, Crow ruins Servo's planetarium show. In the third interval, Servo picks up a fighter plane, blasting Crow and his recently-acquired car. And that's the only misfortune Crow suffers we know for sure Servo caused.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The student's unsettling narration at the start of Why Study Industrial Arts about why he studies Industrial Arts. The riffing picks up on the subtext:Student: And you know, I like the feel of a board moving smoothly against a sharp saw.
Mike: Then I thrust the nail into the soft, yielding wood...
Student: I like the smell of fresh wood chips and sawdust...
Tom: I put them in my underwear.
Student: The bright glare of a welder...
Crow: I like to sneak in and lay on the table saw.
- Dude, Not Funny!: At the beginning of "Ha, So! Stratosphere Boogie," the Jimmy Bryant Band plays a stereotypical Asian tune and the drummer says, "Hah, so!" Crow is not amused.Crow: [dully annoyed] Okay, thank you, thank you very much, [sternly] THANK YOU.
- Hair Wings: They speculate that Beth's very rigidly-styled hair could double as a parachute.Mike: I predict in the climactic scene she jumps without a chute and her hair opens up.
- Informed Attractiveness: Suzy is supposedly the sultry temptress of the parachuting camp, beautiful enough to drive men to murder. Mike instead speculates, "I bet she smells like Marlboros and Arpege and Juicy Fruit and body odor."
Frankie: You know, Beth... you get prettier every day.
Servo: She must have written the dialogue!
- Lifetime Movie of the Week: Crow calls the film a "chick film" at the end. In a weird way, he's not wrong.
- Male Gaze: As the black dancer's nice butt is wiggling back and forth right in front of the camera:Servo: Now this here is the butt of choice.
Mike: Yeah, it won the Palme d’Butt at Cannes.
Servo: Heh Heh. "Can."
- Must Have Caffeine: Everyone in this movie. Affairs are built and lives are destroyed around cups of coffee.Servo: Even the soundtrack is making coffee!
- Nausea Fuel:Mike: (nauseated) ...did Forrester's dance make anyone else physically ill?
Crow: I LIKED IT!
- Porn StashCrow: [as industrial arts student] Rat-a-tat-tat... I keep Popular Mechanics under my mattress!
- Reading the Stage Directions Out Loud: Crow treats Beth's line of, "Panic!" to explain why Pete isn't pulling his cord as this.
- Revenge Before Reason: Servo notes that Suzy doesn't really stand to gain anything material from getting revenge on Harry, but she does it anyway.Tom Servo: Now that Harry's dead, we get all the... What do we get?
- Running Gag. Beth and her awful hairdo. She saw her hair in the mirror and she panicked!
- Don't forget Petey Plane, kids!
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Servo cancels his planetarium show after Crow cracks enough Uranus Is Showing jokes at him.
- Spit Take: Crow manages to get Mike to spit up milk through his nose after one of his Uranus Is Showing jokes.Crow: Oooh! A noser!
- Stoners Are Funny: For reasons that even he can't explain afterward, Frank goes into a bizarre, smirking monologue about how Mike "Nel-stone" is constantly high.
- Tampon Run: Gender inverted, outside the pharmacy:Servo!Suzy: Right, I have to get your jock itch cream.
- That Russian Squat Dance: The dance itself isn't used, but Mike and the Bots lampshade the similarity of the music during Frankie and Suzy's boat ride to the music that typically accompanies the dance by punctuating it with the occasional, "Hey!"
- Understatement: According to Servo's planetarium show, the speed of light is well over five hundred miles per hour.
- Uranus Is Showing: Crow unleashes a barrage of "Uranus" jokes during Tom's planetarium show.