Original work: The Skydivers
Short: "Why Study Industrial Arts"
The MST3K presentation contains:
- Actually Pretty Funny: Mike consoles Servo after Crow's Uranus Is Showing jokes, only to lose control of his drink when Crow says one more.
- Also Sprach Zarathustra: Servo sings the opening notes at the beginning of his ill-fated planetarium show.
- Artistic License - Astronomy: A key part of the Stylistic Suck of Tom's planetarium sketch. "Mars, the brightest star in our galaxy..."
- Artistic License - Physics: Servo's Astronomy presentation.
- Better Than Sex: Crow uses this phrase to mock the movie's fixation with coffee, as well as the lack of chemistry between the two lead characters.
Beth: I made some coffee.
Crow: Coffee? Wow, that's better than sex!
- Brawn Hilda: And HOW. The "beefy girl" at the party, who even picks up a guy and tosses him like a beanbag. Servo gives her a masculine, gruff voice while Mike calls her Tom Boerwinkle, a big ex-NBA player.
- Call Back: (Driving to get acid.) Crow: Manos!
- The Chew Toy / Molybdenum Buttmonkey: Crow. In this episode alone, he accidentally saws himself in half, puts himself in a double jock lock, gets blasted by Servo's fighter plane, and gets tangled in his parachute, and it's all played for laughs.
- Cooking Duel: Mike & The Bots vs Deep 13 in a battle of Swing Choir medleys.
- Disproportionate Retribution: In the opening, Crow ruins Servo's planetarium show. In the third interval, Servo picks up a fighter plane, blasting Crow and his recently-acquired car. And that's the only misfortune Crow suffers we know for sure Servo caused.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The student's unsettling narration at the start of Why Study Industrial Arts about why he studies Industrial Arts. The riffing picks up on the subtext:
Student: And you know, I like the feel of a board moving smoothly against a sharp saw.
Mike: Then I thrust the nail into the soft, yielding wood...
- Hair Wings: They speculate that Beth's very rigidly-styled hair could double as a parachute.
Crow: I predict in the climactic scene she jumps without a chute and her hair opens up.
- Informed Attractiveness: Suzy is supposedly the sultry temptress of the parachuting camp, beautiful enough to drive men to murder. Mike instead speculates, "I bet she smells like Marlboros and Arpege and Juicy Fruit and body odor."
Frankie: "You get prettier every day!"
Crow: "I bet she wrote the dialog."
- Lifetime Movie of the Week: Crow calls the film a "chick film" at the end. In a weird way, he's not wrong.
- Must Have Caffeine: Everyone in this movie. Affairs are built and lives are destroyed around cups of coffee.
Servo: Even the soundtrack is making coffee!
- Nausea Fuel:
Mike: (nauseated) ...did Forrester's dance make anyone else physically ill?
- Porn Stash
Crow: (as industrial arts student) Tap-ta-tap-tap... I keep Popular Mechanics under my mattress!
- Running Gag. Beth and her awful hairdo. She saw her hair in the mirror and she panicked!
- Don't forget Petey Plane, kids!
- That Russian Squat Dance: The dance itself isn't used, but Mike and the Bots lampshade the similarity of the music during Frankie and Suzy's boat ride to the music that typically accompanies the dance by punctuating it with the occasional, "Hey!"
- Understatement: According to Servo's planetarium show, the speed of light is well over five hundred miles per hour.
- Uranus Is Showing: Crow unleashes a barrage of "Uranus" jokes during Tom's planetarium show.
"I don't know, I feel real free up there in the high blue sky..."