Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 06 E 10 The Violent Years
Film watched: The Violent Years along with the short Young Man's Fancy
The MST3K presentation contains these tropes:
- Black Comedy Rape: The MST3K crew Crosses the Line Twice when taking on the male rape scene, and the aftermath.Tom Servo: My rape victim refuses to come to Lamaze classes!
- Quite a few of the jokes were about the rapists getting pregnant, which the movie ended up really using.
- Briar Patching: Related to Black Comedy Rape, jokes along the lines of "If all four of you get involved, I understand. It could get rough, and that's fine." "I beg of you, don't lightly kiss my belly and don't nibble on my nipple buds, and don't drag your shiny hair across my body because I HATE that!"
- Rooting for the Empire:Servo: WHAT A GREAT MOVIE!Crow: WE GOTTA GET GYPSY!Servo: SHE'S GOTTA SEE THIS!
- Rooting for the Empire:
- Bragging Theme Tune: Tom's theme song.
- Brick Joke:Forrester: Brooks and Dunn!(Hexfield Viewscreen closes.)Mike: Uhhh...(Hexfield Viewscreen opens.)Forrester: Brooks and Dunn?!TV's Frank: (piping in) Winona!(Hexfield Viewscreen closes.)
- Call Back: To Young Man's Fancy.Crow: Now here's a girl who takes squishiness and does something about it!
- Continuity Nod: "We shot that fat barkeep!"
- Servo is teaching the strange tune ("Hom, de-heh-heh-heh, hoo-ah, hoo-ah") from Monster A-Go-Go to Mike.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: The MST3K crew has a bit of fun with that.
- Downer Ending: Lampshaded.Crow: The feel good movie of 1953!Servo: Audiences left with a song in their hearts and a smile on their face!
- Earworm: Mike Mike Mike. M-M-M-Mike Mike Mike. M-M-M-Mike Mike Mike. M-M-M-Mike. M-M-M-Mike.
- It's All About Me: Tom's theme song, as he brags he's "bigger than life, bigger than you..."
- Mundane Made Awesome: Frank, the radio station. MORE REBA!
- Nightmare Fuel: Invoked, as the Mike, Crow and Gypsy react badly to Servo's new head. Crow is reduced to a shambling heap of sobbing while Gypsy says in disgust, "I feel ill!" as she flees.
- Off with His Head!: Tom Servo replaces his head with a very disturbing ventriloquist dummy's head. Mike chases him around the SOL, then pries his head off. Also qualifies as an Eye Scream, as Mike gouges his thumbs into Tom's eye sockets when ripping the head off. See the horror show here.Mike: Out, vile jelly!
- This Is Gonna Suck:
- Uncanny Valley: Servo's new head.
The Young Man's Fancy short contains these tropes:
- Ambiguously Gay: Bob, which would explain why he is so insistent on Judy not dating Alex.
- Big Stupid Doodoo Head::Judy: You're nothing but... a stinker.Crow: (as Bob in monotone) No. Don't.
- Brought To You By The Nerd Council. And a generous grant from the Mom Corporation.
- Full-Name BasisAlexander Phipps: The name is Alex.
Tom Servo: ...zander Phipps.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: "Double-bag it, son!"
- Also growing mushrooms in the basement.Crow: And avoiding the narcs!
- Also growing mushrooms in the basement.
- Likes Older Women: The crew portray Alex as flirting with Judy's mother.Crow: (as Judy's mother) Please, Alex, I'm vulnerable.
- Loveable Sex Maniac: Judy.Servo: (as Judy) Tee hee, I'm horny!
- Never Heard That One BeforeAlexander: Hey, what's a four-letter word for "nuisance"?Crow: Standard sitcom joke landing on runway 7.[Mike imitates plane landing sound while waving imaginary marshalling wands, while Servo makes airplane noises.]Bob: Oh, that's easy: J-U-D-Y.[The gang approves of a successful landing.]
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Judy's plan to get Alex's attention by pretending to be helpless in the kitchen gets lampshaded in the riffing.