The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation contains these tropes:
- Black Comedy: "Would ya' look at that - the other half of the Black Dahlia!"
- Broken Aesop/Affectionate Parody: The Mentos parody host segment: "Youth is better! Old is stupid!"
- Call Back: Mitchell!
- The "S.o.l.'s" segment has too many to count.
- Why don't they look?
- Critical Research Failure: Crow didn't know the difference between LOX the liquid oxygen and LOX the fish product while Mike was putting the Jet Pack together.Crow: "That's still no reason why it shouldn'ta worked..."
- Curse Cut Short: During the third credits interruption, Dr. Forrester swings by Frank, who says, "Oh, for fu—" before he gets maced once again.
- Fake-Out Fade-Out: At the end of the credits, the credits abruptly switches back to Deep 13 and show Frank recovering from the mace, only to get maced yet again and the button to be pushed to restart the credits. This happens many times — the first three times, Colleen Henjum-Williams's credit under "contributing writers" is half on screen before Deep 13 reappears, while at the fourth time, Frank Conniff's writing credit appears right before the switch. Afterwards, the credits make it past Frank Conniff's credit, but Mary Jo Phil's is half on screen before we get one last Frank macing scene.
- Jet Pack: Mike's half of the Invention Exchange is a rocket pack to get him and the 'Bots down to Earth; unfortunately it misfires, and Mike is forced to explain it to Doctor F. as a skit about "what would happen if our escape plan failed." Clayton is too busy macing Frank to do more than snark.
- The Man Is Sticking It to the Man: Mocked with the "Mystos" sketch.
- Notable Original Music: "Doughy Guys", part of the moving tribute to, well, doughy guys.
- Overly Long Gag: The overdone macing of TV's Frank at the end credits.
- Running Gag: "He'd never touch you, Terry. You're dirt." Becomes a Call Back in later episodes.
"There's that THING again! WHAT DOES IT MEAN???"
- Also the constant freak-outs whenever the phone rings.
- And humming the wedding theme whenever any characters (including the two beefy cops) run under the trellis.
- And everybody has taken a course in Observatory Maintenance.
- TV's Frank getting repeatedly maced throughout the show and during the credits sequence.
- Shout-Out: Several:
Terry: Be our guest!
- The first segment contains a whole bunch of references to The Great Escape
- When the movie's Opening Scroll starts up, Tom starts reading the introduction to The Empire Strikes Back.
- There are also a few references to music and musicals; Oklahoma!, for one.
Crow: Put our service to the test!
- Yank the Dog's Chain: The fourth time the credits abruptly end, Frank steals Dr. Forrester's Mace Mousse and attempts to mace HIM for once. Unfortunately, the spray was facing the wrong way...