Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 22 Teenage Crime Wave
Film watched: Teenage Crime Wave
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation contains these tropes:
- Black Comedy: "Would ya' look at that - the other half of the Black Dahlia!"
- Broken Aesop/Affectionate Parody: The Mentos parody host segment: "Youth is better! Old is stupid!"
- Call Back: Mitchell!
- The "S.o.l.'s" segment has too many to count.
- Why don't they look?
- Critical Research Failure: Invoked. Crow didn't know the difference between LOX the liquid oxygen and LOX the fish product while Mike was putting the Jet Pack together.
- Crow: "That's still no reason why it shouldn'ta worked..."
- Jet Pack: Mike's half of the Invention Exchange is a rocket pack to get him and the 'Bots down to Earth; unfortunately it misfires, and Mike is forced to explain it to Doctor F. as a skit about "what would happen if our escape plan failed." Clayton is too busy macing Frank to do more than snark.
- The Man Is Sticking It to the Man: Mocked with the "Mystos" sketch.
- Notable Original Music: "Doughy Guys", part of the moving tribute to, well, doughy guys.
- Overly Long Gag: The overdone macing of TV's Frank at the end credits.
- Running Gag: "He'd never touch you, Terry. You're dirt." Becomes a Call Back in later episodes.
"There's that THING again! WHAT DOES IT MEAN???"
- Also the constant freak-outs whenever the phone rings.
- And humming the wedding theme whenever any characters (including the two beefy cops) run under the trellis.
- And everybody has taken a course in Observatory Maintenance.
- TV's Frank getting repeatedly maced throughout the show and during the credits sequence.
- Shout-Out: Several:
Terry: Be our guest!
- The first segment contains a whole bunch of references to The Great Escape
- When the movie's Opening Scroll starts up, Tom starts reading the introduction to The Empire Strikes Back.
- There are also a few references to music and musicals; Oklahoma!, for one.
Crow: Put our service to the test!