Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 10 King Dinosaur
Films watched: X Marks The Spot and King DinosaurX Marks The Spot is notable for being the first short film featured on the show that was not an episode of a Film Serial such as The Phantom Creeps or Undersea Kingdom.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation of King Dinosaur has examples of:
- Amusing Injuries: Dr. Forrester gets pancaked by an elevator.
- Anything But That!/Call Back: Upon seeing the opening credit "Lippert Productions", Joel and the Bots dredge up memories of other Lippert films they've been forced to watch.
- Bee Afraid: "Relax?! There's a bee the size of a moose over there, and you want him to relax?!"
- Mighty Whitey: As usual, Joel and the 'bots pick up on The Fifties-style arrogance, especially after the Nuke 'em ending.
- No Animals Were Harmed: Averted.Joel: You know, lizards were harmed in the making of this film.
- The Scrappy: In-Universe example with Joel's puppet, "Joey The Lemur". Crow and Servo quickly get fed up with Joel's over-the-top obnoxious puppeteering. Fortunately, they don't take their frustrations out on the kinkajou which appears in the actual film.
- It also became one out of universe, to the point where the show itself spoofed it in Last of the Wild Horses. It doesn't help that Joel blows his lines several times; apparently this was the best take they got and everyone just wanted to move on.
- And even worse, Joey has not yet appeared in the film by the time the sketch happens, making it pretty darn confusing on first viewing. They try to cover it with Joel saying he read a film guide that says it'll happen.
- And to top it off, there's no lemur in the film anyway. Joey is a kinkajou.
- Slurpasaur: Pointed out when Dick called the iguana a Tyrannosaurus rex.Dick: It resembles the Tyrannosaurus rex from Earth's prehistory.Servo: No, it doesn't.Crow: Sorry, no way.Crow: It's an iguana, now shut up!
- Soundtrack Dissonance: During the climax, the bots note that the musical score seems to be mocking the on-screen action (what with the muted trumpets going "Nah nah nah NAAAH nah!" and all).
- Visual Pun:Dr. Forrester: Okay, look at me. Take a long gawk at the pocket scientist!
- Actually Pretty Funny: Crow approves of the visual pun.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Every time Dick pushes one of the girls down — which happens disturbingly often.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation of X Marks The Spot has examples of:
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: Commissioner Arthur W. McGee's case of it is roundly mocked. "Impwove twaffic conditions."
- Hitler Ate Sugar: Parodied by the Bots after the judge in the short makes an ominous implication intended for Joe's guardian.Judge: That description fitted someone else I know...if you know who I mean.
- Jury Duty: When the judge calls for the viewers to judge Joe, Joel quips "We're stranded in space and we still have to pull jury duty."
- Historical In-Joke: Joe killed James Dean.
- Rousing Speech: Crow delivers one to the audience (and himself) after being inspired by the short. Subverted at the end, though.
- Sarcasm Mode:Joe: I never hit-and-run!Joel: Well, that changes everything!
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 02 The Giant Gila Monster Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 92 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 21 Santa Claus Conquers The Martians
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 09 The Hellcats Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 02 E 11 First Spaceship On Venus