Recap: Angel S 04 E 17 Inside Out
Cordelia gives birth to her child. The Fang Gang discover their actions have been manipulated for years.
- Abandoned Warehouse
- Always Save the Girl: Averted — Angel decides that Cordy has to die to stop whatever she's giving birth to.
- Attack Its Weak Point: After Angel tears off his horn, Wesley shoots through the hole into Skip's brain, which unlike his bone armor isn't Immune to Bullets.
- Back from the Dead: Darla (again). She returns as a ghost sent by the Powers That Be in a last-ditch effort to stop Connor from killing the girl and bringing forth Jasmine.
- Batman Gambit Pileup: It turns out that the Beastmaster had been manipulating Angelus into thinking that he was manipulating Cordelia into thinking that she was manipulating Angel into coming out of the cage.
- Big "Shut Up!": Connor to the girl when she keeps begging him to let her go.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Skip now has a retractable blade.
- Blood Magic / Bloody Handprint: Cordelia presses Connor's bloody hand to her swollen belly.
- Blood-Splattered Innocents: The blood of the girl splatters on Connor's face when Cordelia murders her.
- Chain Pain: How Angel takes down Skip.
- The Champion: The gang realize Evil!Cordelia has been grooming Connor as her champion.
- The Chessmaster: Skip tells the Fang Gang that the being possessing Cordelia has been manipulating them for years.
You really think it stops with her, amigo? You have any concept of how many lines have to intersect in order for a thing like this to play out? How many events have to be nudged in just the right direction? (looks at Lorne) Leaving Pylea
. (looks at Gunn) Your sister
. (looks at Fred) Opening the wrong book
. (looks at Wesley) Sleeping with the enemy
. Gosh, (chuckles) I love a story with scope.
- Specific incidents mentioned are:
- Giving Cordelia the visions ("Parting Gifts"), and making her part-demon ("Birthday") so she can ascend to a higher plane ("Tomorrow") in order for the Beastmaster to possess her.
- Causing Angel and Darla to conceive a child ("Heartthrob").
- The Beastmaster 'woke' at the end of "Spin the Bottle" when Cordelia's memories returned (and presumably influenced her at the start of the episode to ruin the spell).
- Sleeping with Connor to create another child, with a fringe benefit of clouding Angel's judgement ("Apocalypse Nowish").
- Spiked Angel's drink so it could kill Manny ("Long Day's Journey").
- Massacred the Svear family and stole Angel's Soul Jar from the safe ("Soulless").
- Interfered with Lorne's empathic powers and let Angelus out of his cage ("Calvary").
- Clothing Reflects Personality: Ghost!Darla is a Woman in White while Evil!Cordelia is dressed completely in black.
- Continuity Nod: Skip says that a Slayer was the only person to come back from a higher plane, referencing Buffy being pulled out of heaven at the beginning of BtVS Season 6.
- Conveniently Timed Attack From Behind: Connor staking the vampire who's about to kill the girl. Unfortunately for her, it's not the vampire he's after...
- Death by Childbirth: The being possessing Cordelia is so intergrated into her that Cordelia's life force will be drained on giving birth to it.
- Dies Wide Open: The girl.
- Double Entendre: Gunn returns to the Hyperion after his night of passion with Gwen.
Gunn: Being close to Electric Gwen can really screw your equipment.
- Dynamic Entry: Connor crashes through a skylight to save Cordelia from the Fang Gang.
- Environmental Symbolism: The meatpacking plant with its hanging hooks.
- Evil Laugh: Lampshaded when Lorne says that "Cordy just mwa-ha-ha'd at us." Cordy gives a real evil laugh when the ground starts to tremble as her contractions begin.
- Express Delivery: Realising that Angel will track them down before she has a chance to give birth to her child, Cordelia decides to speed things along with a blood sacrifice.
- Face Heel Double Turn: Features a variation on the whole shoulder angel/devil thing when Darla (a villain for most of her time on the show) appears in front of Connor when Cordelia (good but possessed) is trying to convince him to kill an innocent teenage girl.
- Famous Last Words
- Full-Frontal Assault: When Cordelia is revealed to have killed Manny, the group theorize she must have stripped off her clothes as there was no blood on them and she wouldn't have had time to wash or had another change of clothes on her. Something of a Fridge Logic moment, given Angel's oft-mentioned ability to smell even the faintest trace of blood.
- The Gods Must Be Lazy: Lampshaded by the Fang Gang — but the Powers That Be do try to influence events by sending Darla as a ghost.
- Guns Are Worthless: Wesley empties an entire clip into Skip.
- Hearing Voices: This time it's Connor hearing Darla.
- I Did What I Had to Do
CONNOR: Why'd you leave me? Did you hate me that much?
DARLA: Baby, no. I wanted to be with you more than anything.
CONNOR: You killed yourself. I wasn't even born yet. And you—
DARLA: —did what I had to. My life for yours.
- Ineffectual Death Threats: Angel's Perp Sweating needs some work.
Angel: (struggles to stand) Tell me... what happened to Cordelia.
Skip: Or, what? You'll bleed on me some more?
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Gunn borrows a Sea Breeze off Lorne after the others fill him in on Evil!Cordy.
- Ironic Echo Cut
Angel: Don't worry; it'll be a walk in the park.
(cut to Angel slugging it out with the demon guard) I really hate the park.
- Just Between You and Me: Averted, then played straight by Skip when he's faced with torture.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: "I love a story with scope!"
- Meaningful Echo: Cordelia tells Connor that he needs to sacrifice the girl in order to save another life. In later episodes, Jasmine justifies killing by saying she could save millions of lives.
- My Own Grandaughter: Through magic rather than Time Travel — the gang realise after Skip's reveal that the Beastmaster has effectively given birth to itself.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Skip giving away the spell because they don't have the ingredients. Turns out Cordy mistook one of them for a backscratcher.
- The Nicknamer: Lorne calls Connor "Kid Vicious".
- Nothing Personal
Skip: I'm just a merc. I go where the deal is.
- Once More with Clarity / Flashback Echo: The Fang Gang working out how Evil!Cordy arranged the events of the past year.
- Revealing Hug: Cordelia hugging Connor.
CONNOR: (whispers into her ear) I'll kill them all before I let them hurt you.
, sweet boy.
- She Who Must Not Be Named: Skip says the being possessing Cordelia is addressed as "Master" or "Hey". This lack of a name turns out to be important later on in the season.
- Single Tear: Connor again as Darla appeals to the good in him.
- Some Kind Of Forcefield: Skip is held for interrogation in a magical circle...until it's broken by falling masonry.
- Something Only They Would Say: Evil!Cordy asks what tipped off Angel that she was the Beastmaster.
." Same phrase the Beastmaster kept using when he was whispering in Angelus' head. Thought it was a bit femme for the booming macho act.
Cordelia: That's it? I get away with bringing the world down around you and two eentsy words tingle your spider sense?
Wesley: What we already knew. What he found out as Angelus. All the circumstantial evidence led to you.
- Also when Connor uses the word "anointed", it tips off Cordelia that someone has been trying to talk him out of the blood ritual.
- Sword Over Head: Angel raises his sword to kill Cordelia's offspring, who has taken the form of a beautiful dark-skinned woman...then falls to his knees in worship.
- Tempting Fate
Skip: You really think that's gonna— (Angel knocks him out with his chain-wrapped fist)
Angel: Yeah, I do.
- This Is Something He's Got to Do Himself: Angel going to kill Cordelia before she gives birth.
- Took a Level in Badass: Skip; explained as the demon holding himself back when he fought Angel in "That Vision Thing".
- Unnecessary Combat Roll / Improbable Aiming Skills: A richocetting bullet knocks Wesley's gun out of his hand, but when he sees the wound in Skip's armour he rolls, scoops up his pistol and fires a single bullet through the hole into Skip's brain.
- Virgin Sacrifice: A vampire is about to gleefully chomp on a virgin when Connor stakes him and drags her back to Cordy's lair so her blood can be used in the rite.
- Wham Line / Cliffhanger
Angel: (dropping to his knees) My God...you're beautiful.
Jasmine: (smiling) Angel.
- What Are You: As a smirking Cordelia leaves with Connor, Angel gasps, "Who are you?" A non-verbal Twisted Echo Cut is provided by Lorne's fortune-telling Magic 8 Ball, which displays the words, "Ask again later".
- The Worf Barrage: Skip vs. the Fang Gang. Turns out all that bone-armour isn't just to make him look Bad Ass.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: Fred threatens to use the Sphere of the Infinite Agonies ("every second a lifetime") against Skip if he doesn't talk.
- You Are Too Late
- You Can't Fight Fate
Gunn: We make our own choices.
Skip: Yeah, sure. Cheese sandwich here, uh, when to floss. But the big stuff, like two vampires squeezing out a kid?
FRED: Will it make a difference? We really are just pieces being moved around a board.
can yap all he wants about no-name's cosmic plan, but here's a little something I picked up rubbing mojos these past couple of years. The final score can't be rigged. I don't care how many players you grease, that last shot always comes up a question mark. But here's the thing—you never know when you're taking it. It could be when you're duking it out with the Legion of Doom, or just crossing the street deciding where to have brunch. So you just treat it all like it was up to you—the world in the balance—'cause you never know when it is.
FRED: You been practicing that?
GUNN: (smiles) Little bit. (chuckles)