Recap: Angel S 01 E 20 War Zone
While investigating a case of blackmail, Angel butts heads with an anti-vampire street gang.
Our introduction to Charles Gunn.
- After-Action Patchup: Cordy patches up Angel after his fight with the demon and Gunn's gang.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: The vampires throw smoke grenades into Gunn's hideout. He orders the others out into the daylight and prepares to fight, then realises no-one's attacking. As the others rush out into the open coughing and rubbing their eyes, Gas Mask, Longcoat vampires grab Allona and haul her into a van.
- An Aesop: Averted
Angel: "What am I gonna tell you, that you haven't already learned?"
- Arrow Catch: Allona triggers one of the booby traps; Angel stops it from killing her by catching the arrow — through his palm. "Ow!" as he puts it.
- Bad Boss: Knox stakes one of his own vampires for letting himself get ambushed.
- The Bait: Allona for Gunn's ambush, and later for the vampire's ambush.
- Barrier-Busting Blow: Angel ducks under a roller door to get away from the Gunnmobile; he's stopped for a moment on the other side when the wooden spear mounted on the hood smashes through the door, barely missing him.
- BFG: The vehicle-mounted, compressed-air stake-gun.
- Blackmail: The client is a Dungeons & Dragons fanatic who went a little to deep into character - specifically, the 'demon seductresses' part - and ended up being photographed at a demon brothel.
- Blood Knight: Gunn; until he's forced to stake his own sister.
- Booby Trap: Angel gets chased into an Abandoned Warehouse full of them.
- Call Back: One of the demon girls from "She" works at Madam Dorion's.
- Cardboard Boxes
- Ceiling Cling: Spoofed; a vampire is waiting above to ambush Angel, who calmly steps aside making the vampire crash to the ground in front of him.
- Chain Link Fence
- Close Up On Head: Cordy and Wes in the convertible pretending they're at the beach, when they're actually in a trashy back alley.
- Death from Above: Not so much.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Knox's speech to his fellow vampires about how the neighbourhood has gone downhill.
- Evil Feels Good: Vampire Allona's recruitment spiel to her brother.
"We were on the right track - just on the wrong team. All that rage and hatred we got? We get to keep all that, only on this side there is no guilt, no grief - just the hunt and the kill - and the fun! And come on, how often did we go out in the daylight anyway?"
- Fantastic Racism: The demon brothel doesn't take vampire clients.
- Feet-First Introduction / You! Exclamation: Used for a Bait and Switch. We're meant to think the sword-wielding Badass Longcoat is Angel, but it turns out to be Gunn.
- Fire Breathing Weapon: Gunn's second-in-command Chain has a flamethrower for the attack on the vampire nest. Unfortunately we don't see it used until the Season 3 episode "Dad".
- Game Face
Lenny: "Look, pal, you obviously not from around here. But trust me; you do not want to see my bad side."
Angel: "You show me yours (vamps out) I show you mine."
- Foreshadowing: For the Season 8 comics, where Gunn is turned into a vampire.
- Gas Mask, Longcoat: The vampires uses these to attack Gunn's gang in daylight.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: "Look ma, no hands!"
Cordelia: I like David. It's such a - strong, masculine name. It just feels ... good in your mouth.
- Gold Digger: Cordelia ponders whether she should 'prostitute' herself to incredibly rich geek David Nabbit, but realises even she can't sink that far.
- Head-Tiltingly Kinky: Wesley's reaction to some blackmail photos of his client's antics at a demon brothel. When Angel points out that he's looking at the picture upside-down, Wes almost faints.
- Horny Devils: Madame Dorion's, the demon brothel in Bel Air. According to Wesley "The Watchers Council is ripe with stories about it." I'll bet.
- Lina appears to be an actual example; even willing to have sex with a vampire, though likely because Angel is hot.
- Money Fetish: The Fang Gang walk into Nabbit's expensive party.
Cordelia: "Oh, I miss that smell!"
Wesley: "Camembert, I believe."
Cordelia: "What? No - money - I like the smell of a little money once in a while."
Angel: "She's not just saying that. Hide some in the office sometime to watch her. It's uncanny."
- Not Big Enough for the Two of Us: Angel gives his "L.A. is my turf" speech to the vampire gang. "You might want to stay out of it for the rest of your eternal lives."
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Pretty much every bad thing that happens to Gunn is due to his recklessness.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner
Allona: (vamps out) "Say goodbye to everything you ever knew."
- Pun: "The guys were joking about getting some tail." Later we get a hint at the interesting uses to which demon prostitute Lina puts her tail.
- Roof Hopping: Happens off-screen; a gangmember rushes in to tell Gunn that a vampire (revealed to be Angel) is jumping from roof to roof.
- Schmuck Bait: The kidnapping of Alonna. Angel warns her brother that if he tries to invade the vampires' nest, it will turn into a bloodbath. Predictably, Gunn doesn't hear him — or care.
- Self-Made Man: David Nabbit made his millions by inventing software which allows blind people to surf the internet.
- Spikes Of Doom: Angel gets to experience the full extent of Gunn's vampire-proofing. Upon chasing Angel into Gunn's own building, Gunn rams the wall with his spiked truck, narrowly missing Angel's head. Disoriented, Angel stumbles over a tripwire, triggering a hurricane of arrows as well as a falling spike trap.
- Staking the Loved One
- Stating the Simple Solution: Angel is trying to break out of the meat locker Gunn locked him in when Wes and Cordy open the door from the outside and ask why he didn't just call for help on his cellphone.
- Storming the Castle: Gunn ignores Angel's warning that the vampires are expecting him and goes to assault their nest. It turns out the vampires have recruitment rather than ambush in mind.
- Sword over Head: Pressed by Gunn's oncoming gang, Angel ends up violently disarming one of his attackers and almost stabs him with his own stake. He stops when he realizes that his prey is a mere kid.
- That Came Out Wrong
Cordy: "I like David. It's such a... strong, masculine name. It just feels... good in your mouth."
Wesley: (as he leads Cordy out) "Feels good in your mouth?"
Cordy: "I was flustered!"
- Transhuman Treachery: Allona, predictably after the vampire kidnap and quickly feed on her in their escape van.
- Vampire Hunter
- Vampire Invitation: Angel grabs the sentry at Gunn's hideout and forces him to give this.
- Vampires Are Sex Gods: Lina is willing to sleep with Angel as long as he doesn't do "the face thing".
- Villainous Demotivator: The head vampire Knox claps his buddy Ty on the shoulder and says its not his fault for getting ambushed by Gunn's crew. Right before he stakes him.
- Weaponized Car: The pickup truck with massive wooden stakes on the hood and a mounted stake-gun in the back.
- We Have Your Little Sister: The vampire gang grabs Allona knowing that Gunn's gang will come after them.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Allona mentions that the vampires have been leaving them alone recently, until Gunn's ambush stirs them up.
- You Have No Idea Who You're Dealing With: Of course, that can apply both ways.
"Who the hell are you? You know who you're talking to, you fool?" Angel:
"The name's Angelus
. (stakes Knox) And I wasn't actually talking to you.