Recap: Angel S 04 E 11 Soulless
The Fang Gang interrogate Angelus to discover his connection to the Beast. Angelus responds by trying to turn the gang against each other.
- Buffy Speak: Angel's soul is all floaty.
- Buxom Is Better: Angelus notes that Cordelia has "a rack to write home about".
- Car Fu: Wesley drives over a vampire. It doesn't kill him.
- Cliffhanger: The gang open the safe to find that Angel's Soul Jar has been stolen.
- Concealing Canvas: Hiding the safe with the Soul Jar.
- Consulting a Convicted Killer
- Continuity Nod: Angelus nailing a puppy to a wall was first mentioned in the Buffy episode "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered". We see Angelus in Prussia in 1789 making his way to Austria. This places him just after Darla abandoned him to Holtz in the barn — they'd agreed to meet in Vienna.
- Covert Pervert / A Date with Rosie PalmsAngelus: Ah, Fred. You look all fresh and sweet, but I hear you at night in your room with Gunn. The things you say. I'm lying there, listening, hands under the covers... I can't help myself. It's so... gripping.
- Double Entendre: LoadsAngelus: (seeing Connor is wearing his shirt) Looks good on you, son.Connor: (smirking) So did Cordy.Angelus: She looks good on everyone.
"You want to impress the girl. Move in, get her to love you, and after a couple days of flowers and chocolate-covered cherries, you'll bend her over the kitchen counter."
- Angelus re Wes/Fred.
"Nice stamina, Wes. No wonder Fred's not interested."
- After Wes pretends to give up and walk out..
"So much for stand by your man. Then again, you probably like her on her knees."
- Angelus to Gunn/Fred.
- Empathy Doll Shot: In the Svear house massacre.
- Eyes Never LieCordelia: Look in my eyes. Angel knows me. You know me. Better than anyone. So, when you look at me, you know I'm not lying.
- Face Monster Turn
- Foreshadowing: Angelus bringing up Wesley's poor performance as Watcher to Faith.
- Freudian ExcuseAngelus: I guess you just can't understand that special bond between dad and son, given that your own father's ashamed of you—Wesley: And Connor's ashamed of you. The universe's way of maintaining order, I guess.
- Hannibal Lecture / Half Truth: Par for the course when an intelligent evil guy is locked in a cage.
- A House Divided
- I Did What I Had to Do: Cordelia re getting Angelus to talk.
- Ironic Nursery Tune: Angelus sitting in a cage creepily singing "Teddy Bear's Picnic" to himself.
- Infant Immortality: Averted, right down to a bloody teddy bear.
- Improvised Weapon: The Teaser opens with a shot of a bound stack of newspapers about the crime wave sweeping LA. Suddenly Connor grabs it to slug a vampire with, then when he's knocked into a gas cylinder he turns it on to spray the vampires.
- Interrupted Intimacy: Gunn walking in just after Wes kisses Fred. He's smart enough to realise what happened though.
- Love Triangle: Wes/Fred/Gunn
- No Nudity Taboo: Connor is implied to be naked when Cordy's hands him the shirt.
- Nothing Up My Sleeve: Connor is using Angel's stake-wrist device.
- Oedipus Complex: "Doing your mom and trying to kill your dad. Hmm. There should be a play." Of course this taunt is clearly meant for viewers; Connor was raised in another dimension and has no idea what he's referencing, and in any case from his perspective has no reason to see Cordelia as someone maternal.
- Power Perversion Potential: Angel using his superhearing to listen in on Fred and Gunn having sex.
- Pre-Asskicking One Liner: Connor fighting some out-of-town vampires."Welcome to L.A. (hurls the stake at the vampire, dusting him) Tourists."
- Scare Chord: Angelus makes a grab for Cordy, missing her by inches. She doesn't even flinch.Cordelia: Not even close.
- Scarpia Ultimatum: Cordelia offers to give herself to Angelus in exchange for the information.
- Shout-Out: "Bodies, bodies, everywhere, and not a drop to drink" is a reference to Coleridge's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner".
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Cordelia to Angelus when the gang is about to put his soul back.
- Special Edition Title: The promo for "Soulless" modified the usual Angel logo to spell Angelus.
- This Is the Part Where...: Angelus calling Wes' interrogation tactics.
- Throw It In: David Boreanaz improvised a lot of Angelus' dialogue.
- Tranquillizer Dart: Instant Sedation is averted when it takes a couple of hits to make Angelus keel over.
- The Triple / Freud Was RightAngelus: The "perfect day" fantasy [Angel] came up with. Caves, booby traps, the requisite phallic sword.
- Vomit Discretion Shot / Single Tear: Connor after seeing the massacred family.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?Cordelia: Dead demons are just a big blob of oozing mess. Vampires turn into dust like they were never anything at all. But humans— (sighs) it's different.
- Where Da White Women At? / To Shakespeare: When Angelus greets Gunn and Fred as 'Othello and Desdemona'."No, wait. Desdemona wasn't in love with the other guy."
- You Do Not Want To Know: Lorne listens to Angelus sing and gives this response to what he read. Cordy's response when the others try to find out how she got Angelus to talk.
- Your Cheating Heart / Conflict Ball: You really picked a great time to start straying in your affections, Fred.