Recap: Angel S 01 E 17 Eternity
Angel finds himself attracted to an actress who wants to remain forever young. Unfortunately her efforts to achieve this cause Angel's evil alter ego to resurface.
- Acronym Confusion: Cordelia pointing out the arrival of "ET" (Entertainment Tonight).Wesley: (glancing around hopefully) Emma Thompson?
- Annoying Laugh: Cordelia in Rebecca's presence.
- Bad Bad Acting: Cordelia's screechingly awful performance in A Doll's House.Angel: And I thought I knew eternity.
Cordelia: Oh no! Not now! God! What's this I see in my vision? Oh. It's a figure — a woman. Itís Rebecca. She's in danger. Teeerrible danger.
- She also attempted to fake a vision:
- Subverted when we find Cordelia can put on a good performance when her life is on the line. Because Angelus knows Cordy is a lousy actor, she fools him.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: As Rebecca's drug takes effect on Angel, he realizes she's trying to make him turn into Angelus so he'll turn around and sire her. Furious, Angel grabs a blood pack from his fridge and sprays it into her mouth to give her "a taste" of what she's in for. Naturally, once Angelus is in control, Rebecca flees in terror from the murderous nutcase she just let loose.
- The Beautiful Elite
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: An alarmed Cordelia confides to Wesley that Rebecca has been "real gabby, asking questions about Angel". Wesley asks what sort of questions?"Oh, you know, where does Angel hail from, whatís his favorite color, what kind of aftershave he wears, the exact specific details on how someone could make themselves into a vampire."
- Big Damn Heroes / Super Window Jump: Angel does his thing.
- Break Them by Talking: Angel does this to Rebecca, and Angelus does this to Wes and Cordy.
- Brutal Honesty: Angelus as always; lampshaded by Cordelia at the end, who points out that she deserves such honesty from her friends too.
- Call Back: Cordelia bluffing a vampire also happened in the BtVS episode "Homecoming".
- Chekhov's Gunman: Oliver Simon, the talent agent who gave Angel his card in the premiere episode "City Of" in the belief that he was an aspiring actor.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: Averted; Angel can tell instantly the stalker's letter isn't written in blood.
- Crazy-Prepared: Cordelia for Angelus' return; she has the water in her drink bottle blessed by a local priest at regular intervals. Turns out she's bluffing, but it sounds good.
- Cut the Juice / Darkness Equals Death: Angelus kills the lights like he did in BtVS "Innocence" before making his appearance before Cordy and Wes.
- Decapitation Presentation: Angelus worries that no-one will believe he's killed anyone famous; he suggests cutting off Rebecca's head and putting it on a pike like in the olden days.
- Diving Save / Rescue Romance
- Dramatic Shattering: Angelus exuberantly breaks the wineglass on an overhead beam.Oh, God. I love this stuff! Wow! Remind me to get the name of your dealer Ė- before I kill you.
- Dressed to Kill: Angel in a tux, posing as Rebecca's bodyguard.
- Evil Costume Switch: Worried that Angel might have slept with Rebecca, Cordelia turns up at her house the following morning wielding lattes and a huge cross.Cordy: Well, judging by the outfit, I guess itís safe to come in. Evil Angel never would have worn those pants.
- False Reassurance: Wes and Angel try to avoid mentioning that Cordy's acting sucks.Wesley: You took the role and made it your own.Cordelia: Really? Thanks. Angel, was I good?Angel: I wouldnít say it if I didnít think so.Cordelia: Thanks....you didnít say it.
- Getting Smilies Painted on Your Soul: Which causes problems when your soul is artificial.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Cordy wears tight red leather pants, but unfortunately Angelus doesn't have a chance to change into his famous Leather Pants of Evil.
- Horrible Hollywood
- "How Did You Know?" "I Didn't."
- Hypocritical Humor: Angel plays down the news article reporting on his rescue of Rebecca Lowell. "We ran into an actor. It's Hollywood. It happens." When Wesley remarks that there's no mention of Angel, however, the high-minded vampire suddenly does a double-take. "What?!"
- Immortality Immorality: Rebecca Lowell, an actress who hopes to revive her flagging career by becoming an ageless vampire. Only in Hollywood...
- Lonely at the Top: Rebecca Lowell engenders sympathy in the first half of "Eternity", which explores the darker side of celebrity. To Angel's disappointment, she later turns out to be just as self-absorbed and superficial as everyone else.
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: Rebecca realises Angel is a vampire when he doesn't appear in a wall mirror.Rebecca: When I looked into the mirror and you werenít there I didnít scream. I didnít run. I understood.
Angel: No. You werenít afraid. You looked into that mirror and all you saw was yourself. Thatís all you ever see, Rebecca, and thatís what really frightens you.
- Not So Dire: Wesley and Angel are panicked that there's no escape from the horror. The "horror" in question being Cordelia's acting.
- Oblivious MockeryWesley: Angelís moment of true happiness occurred because he was with Buffy. You realize how rare that is Ė- true happiness? And what are the odds heís find that with an actress?
Cordy: Whatís that supposed to mean?
Wesley: I was...I meant TV-actress.
Cordy: Save it.
- Playing Possum: Wes after being knocked down by Angelus; he just waits for Cordy to distract him before pushing Angelus into the elevator shaft.
- The Power of Acting: Angelus tries to get under Cordelia's skin by ridiculing her total lack of acting ability. Cordy gets the last laugh when she bluffs Angelus into believing her thermos is full of holy water, resulting in his defeat.Cordelia: And the Oscar goes to...
- Right Behind Me: Cordelia is griping at Angel for missing his chance for some free publicity. She says that Rebecca's star is on the wane and so they need to exploit it while she's still famous; Rebecca has just entered their office.
- Single Tear: David Boreanaz squeezes one out during Angel's 'date rape' at the hands of Rebecca.
- Slipping a Mickey: Rebecca slips Angel a tranquilizer drug to make him lose his inhibitions; unfortunately this allows Angelus to resurface.
- Squee: Cordy keeps giggling like a madwoman after being invited out shopping with TV actress Rebecca Lowell.
- Stalking Is Love: Angel turns down Rebecca's request to investigate her stalker, but we later discover he has already reverted to his Mysterious Protector act.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: "He does that."
- Tabloid Melodrama: According to The Inquirer, Rebecca Lowell once slept with Ernest Borgnine, and is bulimic.Angel: [supportively] I hear Borgnine is a very skilled lover.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension
- Vampire Invitation: Angel is able to window-crash into Rebecca's house because she invited him over when they were in his office.
- Vampire Vannabe
- You Got Spunk: Rebecca hits Angelus with a heavy candlestick.Angelus: Now that I respect!
- You're Insane!Rebecca: Youíre crazy.
Angelus: Oh, no. Iím a vampire.
- Your Vampires Suck: After Angel confesses to being a vampire, Rebecca reacts in true Hollywood fashion: by listing off famous actors who have played vampires (Bela Lugosi and Gary Oldman). Angel remarks under his breath that "Frank Langella was the only performance I believed..."