Suicide Silence are an American Deathcore
band that formed in 2002.
The band originally formed with two vocalists, but only Mitch Lucker stayed due to the other getting fired. After a few demo releases, they got to record their Self titled EP
, and afterwards, they decided that it would stick as a main band and not originally as a side project. After some lineup changes, they signed onto Century Media to record their debut album, hitting #94 at the Billboards 200. Due to this success, they took part in the Mayhem Festival 2008.
Afterwards, they got to working on No Time To Bleed
, which had been worked on before MF 2008, and revealed a few songs that were played live at the Music as a Weapon fest. When it was finally released, it landed on #32 on the Billboard 200.
2011 saw the release of The Black Crown
. They signed onto Nuclear Blast Afterwards; however, they've yet to release anything under that label.
Disaster struck in November 1, 2012, when Lucker died from a motorcycle accident, effectively putting the band on hiatus due to Lucker being the main driving force of the band, and to help support his 5 year old daughter. The latest show was on the supposed doomsday of 2012.
On October 2, 2013, it was announced through a video on their Facebook page that they would be continuing the band with Eddie Hermida (ex-vocalist of All Shall Perish) on vocal duties.
2014 is looking like a return to form of the band. Currently, the band is working on their fourth studio album titled You Can't Stop Me
(named after a song Mitch wrote before his passing) which is to be released during the summer of 2014. A single titled Cease to Exist
came out in May 2014 to positive reception. Live shows started happening again, starting with Soundwave in Australia, several appearances in Asia, and finally making their first American show with Eddie at the Golden God Awards 2014. Despite the untimely death of Mitch Lucker, it seems that the band is back on their feet.
- Chris Garza – rhythm guitar (2002–present)
- Mark Heylmun – lead guitar (2006–present)
- Alex Lopez – drums (2006–present)
- Dan Kenny – bass guitar (2008–present)
- Hernan "Eddie" Hermida (ex-All Shall Perish) - lead vocals (2013-present)
Notable Past Members:
- Mitch Lucker(RIP) – lead vocals (2002–2012)
- The Cleansing (2007)
- No Time To Bleed (2009)
- The Black Crown (2011)
- You Can't Stop Me (2014)
Tropes Displayed by Suicide Silence:
- Cover Version: "Engine No. 9" by Deftones and "Them Bones" by Alice in Chains.
- I Am the Band: Chris Garza, as of Lucker's death.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Hard 10, though some songs can hit a solid 11.
- Music Is Politics: The (apparent) reason why Eddie Hermida was fired from All Shall Perish shortly after he joined Suicide Silence boiled down to this by way of onerous restrictions on his activities with All Shall Perish from Suicide Silence's management.
- New Sound Album:
- The Cleansing was standard hard-hitting deathcore with heavy breakdowns.
- No Time to Bleed introduced the atonal guitar solos that carried onto the next album.
- The Black Crown had more Nu Metal and Groove Metal influences.
- Nice Guy/Mean Character, Nice Actor: Lucker was credited as one, most noticeably, with the donation of $800 worth of toys to a variety Boys & Girls Club.
- Religion Rant Song: "Unanswered," "The Fallen," "In A Photograph," from The Cleansing, and "Something Invisible" from No Time To Bleed.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Mitch Lucker was well known for his banshee-like screeching.
- Signature Style: Lots of time signature and tempo changes and slow but technical breakdowns, as well as atonal riffs and solos lacking in melody.
- Special Guest: Many during the memorial show on December 21, 2012. This is just a small list:
- Chad Grey of Mudvayne
- Tim Lambesis of As I Lay Dying
- Eddie Hermida of All Shall Perish
- Phil Bozeman of Whitechapel
- Johnny Plague of Winds Of Plague
- Austin Carlile of Of Mice and Men
- As for studio efforts, Frank Mullen of Suffocation, Johnathan Davis of Korn, and Alexia Rodriguez of Eyes Set to Kill on The Black Crown. George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher of Cannibal Corpse and Greg Puciato of The Dillinger Escape Plan are slated to appear on You Can't Stop Me.
- X Meets Y: Suffocation and Devourment meets The Dillinger Escape Plan and Korn
- Zombie Apocalypse: The music video for Slaves to Substance.