Decapitated is a Polish Technical Death Metal
band formed in 1996. Along with bands such as Vader and Behemoth
, they are considered one of the most popular death metal bands in the Polish scene. The band has had numerous vocalist changes, having had 3 different vocalists in their 5-album discography. The band is also known for their technical proficiency, particularly the skills of their first drummer, the late Vitek Kieltyka, who died in 2007 at the very young age of 23. While not a mainstream success, the band is one of the most popular in the metal community, with many metal critics giving them top reviews and citing them as a 'band to watch in the 21st century', receiving the most acclaim for their 2006 album Organic Hallucinosis
They were forced to go on hiatus due to lack of members and recovery after the accident. Vogg restarted the band in 2009 with a new lineup, and Carnival Is Forever
was finally released in 2011. Currently, Decapitated are working on a new record for 2014.
- Wacław "Vogg" Kiełtyka - guitars (1996−2007, 2009−present)
- Rafał "Rasta" Piotrowski - vocals (2009−present)
- Paweł Pasek - bass guitar (2012−present)
- Michal "Mlody" Lysejko - drums (2014-present)
Notable Past Members:
- Wojciech "Sauron" Wąsowicz - vocals (1996 - 2005)
- Witold "Vitek" Kiełtyka(RIP) - drums (1996 - 2007)
- Marcin "Martin" Rygiel - bass guitar (1997 - 2005, 2006 - 2007)
- Adrian "Covan" Kowanek - vocals (2005 - 2007)
- Paweł "Pawulon" Jaroszewicz - drums (2012-2013)
- Winds of Creation (2000)
- Nihility (2002)
- The Negation (2004)
- Organic Hallucinosis (2006)
- Carnival Is Forever (2011)
- Blood Mantra (2014)
Decapitated provides examples of:
- Career-Ending Injury: Adrian Kowanek survived the bus crash... unfortunately, it left him with severe traumatic brain injuries that he is still recovering from. The odds that he will ever become functional enough to reenter music are virtually nonexistent.
- Child Popstar: The members of the band were in their teens when their debut Winds of Creation was recorded in 2000. The youngest was drummer Vitek, who was 15 years of age.
- Cover Version: They've covered "Mandatory Suicide" by Slayer, "Suffer the Children" by Napalm Death and "Lunatic of God's Creation" by Deicide.
- Epic Rocking: Their current longest song is "Carnival is Forever" at 8:49.
- Genre Shift: Starting with Carnival is Forever, they shifted towards a mixture of Death Metal/Groove Metal, while still being rooted in tech-death.
- Gorn: Despite what their name means, this is pretty much averted for the majority of their lyrics, which are mostly dark questionings of humanity.
- I Am the Band: Post-hiatus, Vogg is the only original member left still in the band.
- Instrumentals: "Dance Macabre", "The Calling", "Silence".
- Lead Bassist: Marcin Rygiel was a Type A.
- Lead Drummer: Vitek (due both to his technical skill and his untimely passing) and Krimh (due to, again, his technical skill, plus having a well-known YouTube channel).
- Miniscule Rocking: Instrumentals "Dance Macabre" and "The Calling" at 2:47 and 1:17 respectively (compared to the rest of their stuff), as well as "Symmetry of Zero" at 2:36.
- Misanthrope Supreme/Straw Nihilist/Humans Are Bastards: Their main lyrical theme.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: They're a fairly solid 10.
- Revolving Door Band: Not at first, but since the tragic death of Vitek and Covan's injury in the same accident, the band has seen several line-up changes. (Covan was not the band's first vocalist, replacing Sauron, who also had to depart for health reasons, but apart from that the band's lineup had previously been stable).
- Technical Death Metal
- Teen Genius: Vitek could drum better at 15 than most modern metal drummers twice that age can drum today. The other members weren't any slouches on their instruments either.
- Vocal Evolution: When original vocalist Sauron left the band, the new vocalist (and the one after that) had a much higher, less guttural death growl akin to Nergal's.
- Original vocalist Sauron alone is also an example. His voice was low when they recorded "Winds of Creation", then got higher for "Nihility" and a little more for "The Negation", though never as much as the new guys.