As I Lay Dying are an American Metal Core band that formed in 2000. They are named after the book of the same name. They have released 6 albums, Awakened being their latest release. On their first two albums, they had a more standard sound, though they would add elements of Melodic Death Metal beginning with the widely acclaimed Shadows are Security and Thrash Metal in their music starting with An Ocean Between Us, which has been so far been regarded by fans as their best work to date.Frontman Tim Lambesis also runs the Comedy/Arnold Schwarzenegger tribute band Austrian Death Machine, which plays Thrash Metal/Crossover with the same metalcore influences as well as the Death Metal band PyrithionOn May 7, 2013, frontman Tim Lambesis was arrested for allegedly trying to hire a hitman to kill his wife. He initially plead not guilty, but eventually switched his plea to guilty and was sentenced to six years in prison on May 16, 2014. The band is currently on hiatus, with Lambesis and Mancino being the only members who are technically still a part of it (Mancino didn't quit like the rest of the members because him and Lambesis share the name rights as original members). It remains to be seen whether As I Lay Dying will ever be active again in some form after Lambesis' prison sentence is served; given that the remaining members went on to form Wovenwar with Shane Blay of Oh, Sleeper (in addition to Sgrosso's side project Poison Headache, which eventually became his main band after he split with Wovenwar) and have been met with a decent amount of success (and also given their visible disgust with Lambesis's actions and indications that the behavior displayed there was not new), a reunion seems very unlikely.
- Tim Lambesis (lead vocals) (2000-)
- Jordan Mancino (drums) (2000-)
Notable Past Members
- Nick Hipa (guitars) (2004-2014)
- Josh Gilbert (bass + vocals) (2007-2014)
- Phil Sgrosso (guitars) 2003-2014)
- Beneath the Encasing of Ashes (2001)
- Frail Words Collapse (2003)
- Shadows are Security (2005)
- An Ocean Between us (2007)
- The Powerless Rise (2010)
- Awakened (2012)
Tropes associated with this Band:
- Anti-Love Song: "Comfort Betrays"
- Breast Expansion: In 2016, Lambesis sued a medical team for not allowing him to take his prescription, which would combat the side effects of steroid withdrawal. As a result, he developed gynecomastia.
- Christian Metal / Not Christian Rock: Despite the lack of overtly religious lyrics, they had embraced the "Christian band" label for most of their career, as all five members were Christian. However, many fans noticed that the lyrics to some tracks from Awakened expressed heavy skepticism and criticism of Christianity and religion and general. After the events that led to his arrest and guilty plea, Tim elaborated that a severe crisis of faith had caused him to briefly identify as an atheist, and that he had since returned to the faith.
- Cover Version: "War Ensemble" by Slayer, "Electric Eye" by Judas Priest, and Coffee Mug by Descendants
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to other bands of the same genre.
- Drugs Are Bad: It turns out Lambesis was using steroids as an aid for his body building...needless to say, it didn't turn out well
- Early Installment Weirdness: Beneath the Encasing of Ashes is far less melodic than their later works, with some Grindcore influences and Lambesis using the occasional Death Metal growl in addition to his usual screams.
- Indecipherable Lyrics: Good luck trying to follow the lyrics on their first three albums without a lyric sheet.
- La Résistance: The music video for The Sound of Truth.
- Lead Bassist: Josh is a type B and arguable type C as he is the most well known bassist in AILD's history.
- Lyrical Dissonance: The music itself is quite hard, even for Metalcore standards, but the lyrics are more on the depressing, sad side rather than on the aggressive one.
- Metal Scream: This is Lambesis's specialty. He began with a type 3, but eventually moved toward type 1.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: About a 9 most of the time,though they can hit a solid 10.
- New Sound Album: Arguable. The band stills play the same genre, but thrash influences began showing up in An Ocean Between Us.
- Took a Level in Badass: Lambesis◊ in 2010 compared to him in 2012◊. Yes, that's him. Sadly, it also came with a huge Took a Level in Jerkass.
- The Power of Rock: The music video for the cover of Electric Eye has the band using their music to fight a giant scorpion.
- The Sociopath: After his arrest, Hipa publicly called Lambesis a psychopath and said that the behavior on display was not new, and that while they never expected him to go quite that far, it wasn't inconceivable.
- Soprano and Gravel: Tim Lambesis does the harsh vocals while Josh Gilbert does the clean singing.
- Start My Own: Hipa, Sgrosso, Gilbert, and Mancino all started Wovenwar with Shane Blay of Oh, Sleeper after Lambesis' arrest, while Sgrosso additionally helped found Poison Headache and later split with Wovenwar to focus on it.
- Thrash Metal: They have elements of in in their recent work.
- Averted slightly with their latest record.
- Vocal Evolution: Starting with An Ocean Between Us, Tim Lambesis's voice became deeper, less phleghmy, and easier to understand.