Wait... is that gun bleeding?
Before The Teaser
of almost every James Bond
movie, this sequence happens. We look down the barrel of the gun as Bond comes into frame, turns to the camera, and fires his Walther pistol, and a wash of red drips over the screen. The James Bond theme music or a variant
may play over this sequence. Its relationship with James Bond has left it the source of numerous imitations. Try not to think about why the blood appears to be dripping down inside the gun barrel.
See also Sean Connery Is About to Shoot You
Anime & Manga
- Fist of the North Star did this when Kenshiro was attacked by raiders with crossbows; he kicks the arrows back at them and we see the view from one of the raiders' scopes as blood comes flowing down.
- Sonic X pulls this one - in Francis's imagination about their supply teacher - she laughs at the mental image, not knowing that Mr. Syewart IS really a secret agent.
- In an Elseworlds L.E.G.I.O.N. annual parodying James Bond, Lobo, rather than shooting the barrel, spits it.
- An "eat five fruits and vegetables a day" commercial had Bond pulled a banana at the gun barrel and instead of blood, juice flowed down.
- James Bond:
- Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives had this with a closeup on Jason's eye, which is followed by him swinging a machete at the onlooker. The resulting flow of blood forms the title of the film.
- In Flushed Away, the gun barrel is actually a DVD that Roddy shoots with a suction cup dart to drop into the player.
- Sheryl Crow uses it at the beginning of her video for the song "Tomorrow Never Dies", the theme song for the Bond movie of the same name.
- Madonna's video for "Die Another Day" ends with her going through a door - and cuts to her silhouette in the gunbarrel, which promptly gets the red wash.
- Super Junior's music video for "Spy" uses it with Siwon at the other end. The song and music video are both sort of inspired by the Bond films, some of which are actually mentioned in the lyrics.
- One appears in Gottlieb's James Bond 007, on the playfield right above the flippers.
- GoldenEye has them on the backbox speakers and the sides of the cabinet.
- The James Bond video games themselves have used the red wash at the end of this sequence to symbolize when the player dies. The Quantum of Solace game also includes the barrel itself slowly appearing over the borders of the screen as the player nears death.
- There was also an ad for The World Is Not Enough on the Nintendo 64 asking if players ever wondered what it was like to be Bond, followed by a fat guy jumping around as shots were fired through the barrel.
- Three "gun-barrel-cam" shots were added to the Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes: The first is just before you fight Ocelot (the barrel of his revolver, obviously), and the other two bookending the tank fight (with the tank's barrel being used - the first time the expected way, the second time following a grenade thrown down it). They're over relatively quickly, but given the other shout-outs to Bond in the series, the homage is obvious.
- The ZX Spectrum game Zub opens with the title character, wearing a black version of his spacesuit and with a bowtie, re-enacting the gunbarrel scene.