Ourumov: "What are you doing?!"GoldenEye
is a Licensed Pinball Table
released in 1996 by Sega Pinball
. It was designed by Ward Pemberton, with visuals by longtime pinball artist Paul Faris
As the title indicates, this game is based on the 1995 James Bond movie
starring Pierce Brosnan
. As Bond, the player must stop the international terrorist Janus from using the old Soviet GoldenEye satellite to destroy London's financial markets. Opposing him are the sexy but deadly Xenia Onatopp, the Soviet Colonel General Arkady Ourumov, and Janus himself. Infiltrate a Soviet nerve gas plant, engage in shootouts with guards, hack Janus' computers, detonate Q's exploding pen, then pop up the jump ramp to capture a pinball in the satellite dish. Complete all five 007 Encounters, and you might be able to activate GoldenEye itself for a five-ball scoring frenzy.
The GoldenEye pinball game demonstrates the following tropes:
- Bond Gun Barrel: Seen on the backbox speakers and the sides of the cabinet.
- Combos: Make consecutive ramp shots to score the combo bonus, starting at 10 million and increasing by 2 million for each consecutive shot.
- Cower Power: Done by Natalya on the playfield.
- Dark Chick: Xenia Onatopp.
- Deadly Gas: The "Nerve Gas Plant" Encounter.
- Easter Egg: The game starts with James Bond walking in front of the display, then turning to shoot at the player. If you pull the trigger to fire first, various silly animations appear, including...
- Hollywood Hacking: The "Send Spike" Encounter, where you shoot ramps to send "spikes" and make connections to cities around the world.
- Just in Time: "Eject Or Die", where a magnetic ball saver prevents your ball from draining down the outlanes. The ball is then flung back into play, and you have six seconds to hit the Center Eject Target... or else your ball is over.
- Murderous Thighs: The Xenia Encounter, where she squeezes the Naval Captain to death with her thighs.
- Eye Scream: If you succeed at the Xenia Encounter, she causes his eyes to pop out of their sockets.
- Off with His Head!: If you fail the Xenia Encounter, she squeezes hard enough for his head to pop off.
- Off Model: Due to licensing issues, the likeness of some of the movie's actors are off to varying degrees.
- Painting the Medium: The ball launcher is Bond's Walther PPK pistol grip.
- The Pen Is Mightier: "Q's Pen", where you must shoot the Pen target three times to get it to explode.
- Ramp Jump: Occurs when shooting the satellite dish, which causes a ramp to temporarily pop up in front of it.
- Real Song Theme Tune
- Spelling Bonus: 0-0-7 increases the bonus multiplier, while G-O-L-D-E-N-E-Y-E is needed to reach the Wizard Mode.
- Tank Goodness: "Tank Multiball".
- Wizard Mode: "*GOLDENEYE!*", complete with asterisks and exclamation point. It is available after finishing all 007 Encounters, detonating Q's Pen, and spelling both 007 and GOLDENEYE. This is a five-ball frenzy where you get 3 million for each shot and 20 million for each ramp. Drained pinballs are returned to the game if you can make enough shots.