Literature / The Movolreilen Saga
The Movolreilen Saga
is a fantasy story written by Roberts 2028
on fictionpress.com concerning five countries: The Nation of Nilenira
, The Kingdom of Vecendall
, The Confederation of Beosachuth
, The Maerplion Empire
, and The Kingdom of Cusubolm
The Movolreilen Saga Contains Examples Of:
- Action Girl : Pretty much every female character from Nilenira. Tends to happen when you combine The Spartan Way and Matriarchy
- Arc Number : The number nine is important in Nileniran culture, due to their nine goddesses.
- Asskicking Equals Authority : The appointment of High Commanders in Nilenira is supposed to be this, but tend to be more based on winning the favor of powerful families. However, this trope is still played straight in Nilenira due to the fact that inheritence only goes to girls who have completed the Training from Hell.
- Author Avatar : Nehpeus iln Roblos, the youngest and least important member of the Roblos Clan.
- Black Sheep : Dilsinet ler Paldrea. Also, Jirdrea's sister Belisdrea.
- Church Militant : The Holy Soldiers of the Scarlet Circle God.
- Crystal Dragon Jesus : The "Scarlet Circle God" Religion of Cusubolm is actually based on Ohio State Football and the Vecendish Religion is based on Cleveland Sports.
- Cloud Cuckoolander : High Commander Dilsinet ler Paldrea.
- Curse Cut Short : Jirdrea's Grandmother is about to use a certain word when suddenly a bell rings.
- Early-Bird Cameo : Sir Benlor Mesalgil is mentioned in the first chapter. It doesn't even warrant a spoiler to say he'll be important later.
- Elemental Embodiment : Several of Nilenira's Goddesses (See Fantasy Pantheon below).
- Evil Albino : Dralnea ler Reltrea appears to be a villain at first, as her first act in the story is killing a lower-class girl for not saluting her. This will be subverted in later chapters.
- Exact Words : Relbacia invokes this when she promises to let the crew of a merchant ship that she and her brother capture live. She promises that she will not kill them, but reminds them that ordering them overboard will cause the water to kill them, not her.
- False Flag Operation : Invoked. Sir Benlor Mesalgil believes that the group referred to as "Benrothor's Legion" is really a Nileniran military force pretending to be Beosach.
- Family Theme Naming : There are Four Robloses in a row in the Roblos Clan of Pirates, and, in Nilenira, there are several Jirdreas in Jirdrea's line, along with several Dilsinets in Rilsent and Dilsinet's line.
- Fantasy Pantheon:
- In Nilenira:
- Nilensent, Goddess of Earth
- Gilserea, Goddess of Fire
- Prelsient, Goddess of Wind
- Tarilsea, Goddess of Water
- Felnisent, Goddess of Souls
- Jirdrisent, Goddess of Justice
- Bilasent, Goddess of Desire
- Relterea, Goddess of the Harvest
- Desarlea, Goddess of War
- In Addition, there is the Demon Lord, but isn't considered an actual deity.
- General Ripper : Sir Benlor Mesalgil really doesn't like Nilenirans
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot : Jorslor heard some "intriguing" rumors about Nileniran women.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry : Supreme Commander Rilsent and her little sister, High Commander Dilsinet.
- The Hero : Jirdrea ler Bilandra, of her storyline.
- I Am X, Son of Y : Nilenirans uses matronymics instead of true last names (For example, "Jirdrea ler Bilandra" means "Jirdrea, daughter of Bilandra").
- Cusubolmis use patronymics, with "iln" meaning "son of" and "eln" meaning "daughter of".
- Kick the Dog : Relbacia eln Roblos murdering the merchant crew in the beginning of Chapter 2.
- Klingon Scientists Get No Respect : Any girl that doesn't finish her Training from Hell is looked down on by her peers and, in upper-class families, tend to get disowned by their mothers.
- Knight Templar : Ernalk Osarbin has yet to appear, but his actions forty years before the story in trying to eliminate the Cusubolmi pirates turned the Roblos pirate clan into in-universe Dracos in Leather Pants and Osarbin into The Dreaded in Cusubolm, which suggests this trope.
- Matriarchy: Nilenira is the "Patriarchy Flip" variety.
- One Steve Limit : Averted. The name "Velsara" is very common in Vecendall.
- Pirate: The weak central government of Cusubolm causes a large number of powerful pirate clans to thrive.
- Pirate Girl: Relbacia eln Roblos, along with her sister Nitsircia.
- Precision F-Strike : Paldrea delivers one to her daughter Dilsinet.
- Red Baron : Nileniran High Commanders are referred to as "Your Ferocity".
- Red Oni, Blue Oni : Dilsinet (Red), Rilsent (Blue).
- Religious Russian Roulette : Fourth Roblos prays to both his father's Scarlet Circle God and his mother's Nileniran Goddesses, to be safe.
- Retired Badass : Jirdrea's grandmother, Jirdrea, and High Commander Filanea. Both are war heroes from the Second Maerplio War (And, for Jirdrea's Grandmother, the Third Maerplio War).
- Room 101 : Fort Ernalk
- Sacrificial Lamb : Nelsildra ler Tirsent's sister, Ralinea.
- Shining City : Nilenbay is considered to be this by some people, but is considered a Wretched Hive by others.
- Shout-Out :
- Nilenirans use Over Nine Thousand in a lot of their exclamations.
- The order of the first five Goddesses of the Nileniran Cycle is a Shout-Out to Captain Planet, with "Souls" instead of "Heart".
- A long line of pirates named "Roblos" is a reference to the Dread Pirate Roberts in The Princess Bride.
- Sibling Yin-Yang : Supreme Commander Rilsent is The Fundamentalist with No Sense of Humor, while her younger sister, High Commander Dilsinet, is a Cloud Cuckoo Lander with a hint of Deadpan Snarker.
- Significant Anagram : Cusubolm = Columbus and Vecendall = Cleveland. Sports fans may notice something familiar about the religions of these countries.
- Also, Movolreilen = Monroeville, a small town in Ohio where the author grew up, but this is more of an Easter Egg than a "Significant" Anagram.
- The Spartan Way : Nileniran training takes up every girl's second cycle (ages 9-18) and is so difficult, only about 5 in every hundred girls complete it (though, unlike most examples, failure is usually not fatal, though you lose most of your social standing.)
- A Tankard of Moose Urine : Nileniran alcohol, to non-Nilenirans.
- Transparent Closet : Talisent ler Geltrinea, Jirdrea's friend, is obviously attracted to her.
- Tryto Fit That On A Business Card : All of the High Commanders of Nilenira have rather long titles, but the Supreme Commander takes the cake: Her Grand Ferocity, Supreme Commander Rilsent ler Paldrea ler Freldea ler Rilsea ler Dilsinet ler Tilnidea ler Paldrinet ler Rilsent ler Nilsinet ler Dilsinet ler Drelsea ler Freldea ler Dilsinet Vecendishbane ler Jirsent ler Paldrea, Defender of Nilenbay and all of Nilenira, Sword of Prelsient, Goddess of Wind, of Nilensent, Goddess of Earth, of Gilserea, Goddess of Fire, of Tarilsea, Goddess of Water, of Felnisent, Goddess of Souls, of Jirdrisent, Goddess of Justice, of Bilasent, Goddess of Desire, of Relterea, Goddess of the Harvest, of Desarlea, Goddess of War, and of the Nileniran people, Queen of Nilenira, and Commander of all Nileniran armies and navies. (105 Words, according to Works Word Processor)
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Talisent ler Geltrinea and Nitsircia eln Roblos