Organized religion serves as a major source of authority figures. Fiction can build on this by attributing to The Church an absurd amount of power, official or not, and organization, or go the other direction and portray its members as harmless old men sipping tea. Subtropes include Saintly Church, Corrupt Church, Scam Religion, Path of Inspiration, and Religion of Evil.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The Ecclesiarchy in Warhammer 40,000.
- The Chantry of Andraste in the Dragon Age series. Also, the Imperial Chantry.
- The Holy Church from Nasuverse.
- The Church of Granas from Grandia II.
- The Elder Scrolls: The Aedra-worshiping Imperial Cult tends toward Saintly Church, while Morrowind's Tribunal Temple, worshiping a triad of Physical Gods, is something of a Scam Religion (corrupt leaders, but the worshipers can be anywhere on the scale). By Skyrim the Tribunal Temple has become the New Temple as a result of the aforementioned Tribunal of Physical Gods either being killed or going missing. From the limited exposure to it, it seems to be fairly similar to the old Temple, albeit with the former Daedric Anticipations of the Tribunal slotted back in on the top as Reclamations, and the Tribunal demoted to saints.