Literature: Escape from Furnace
The cover to the third book, rejected for being too scary
Beneath heaven is hell. Beneath hell is Furnace.Escape from Furnace
— The Warden
is a series of five books written by Alexander Gordon Smith detailing the adventures of Alex Sawyer
in escaping Furnace
- an underground penitentiary for teenage criminals.
The books are:
- Death Sentence
This novel features the following tropes:
- Adults Are Useless - Kids are being dragged down to be tortured for life at an underground penitentiary and nobody even cares. Alex vaguely mentions about there being protests, but mostly, adults are just glad of getting rid of the problematic kids. Teens Are Monsters is a common belief in that world, though, what explains the mentality.
- The Alcatraz - Furnace. Together with Hellhole Prison, it defines the plot.
- Anyone Can Die - And how. Just don't get too attached.
- Ambiguously Gay: Zee sure was into Alex after he became a blacksuit
- Big Bad: Alfred Furnace
- Bigger Bad: The Stranger
- The Big Guy: Donovan, Gary, Alex after becoming a blacksuit
- The Berserker: The Berserkers, Gary and Alex
- Boisterous Bruiser: Alex, after becoming a blacksuit, really comes to like fighting.
- Blood Knight: Alex tries to not become this but when his Berserk Button is pushed watch out
- Body Horror - The series runs on it, basically.
- The Bully - Alex himself used to be one.
- Cain and Abel: Supposedly Alfred to his brother Jozef, but really it was all a set up by the stranger.
- Contemplate Our Navels - Particularly in Solitary, for obvious reasons, and in the beginning of Death Sentence.
- Crapsack World
- Dark Is Evil
- Deus Angst Machina
- The Dog Bites Back - The warden learns it the hard way.
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Eldritch Abomination: The Stranger.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: Again, the Stranger
- Fate Worse Than Death - Being taken by the Blood Watch.
- Faux Affably Evil - The warden. Sometimes, Alex notices that he's being genuinely affable, but it doesn't last very long, and most of his smiles are all acts.
- Gas Mask Mooks - The Wheezers.
- The Heavy:
- The warden up until Fugitives
- Colonel Alice Pananettrie in Execution.
- He Who Fights Monsters
- Heel-Face Turn: Alex during the first book after he gets thrown in the Furnace, again in the third book after he becomes a blacksuit and for the final time also in the third book
- Humanoid Abomination - Alex describes many of the horrors of gen pop as being that. What makes the rats, blacksuits, wheezers, berserkers and even the warden so scary for him are the fact that they look like people who came out very wrong.
- I Can Rule Alone:
- I Want Them Alive - The warden to Alex, but mostly because death is an easy way out.
- Kick the Morality Pet - Ozzie's death by Alex' hands
- Master Race - The Blacksuits.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane - While Escape from Furnace explain its horrors through science, The Night Children short story has this incredibly creepy lore to explain the exact same things.
- Mercy Kill - Donovan, by Alex. Zee tries to do the samething to Alex, and asks Alex to do it for him as well
- A Nazi by Any Other Name - Furnace and Warden Cross were actually nazis, which explain their desire to create a Master Race and rule the World.
- No Swastikas - Guess what the Furnace symbol stands for?
- Not So Above It All: Zee reveals he's this in Fugitives when it's revealed he used to TWOC (took without consent) cars
- Peer Pressure Makes You Evil
- Please Put Some Clothes On - Hilariously between Zee and Alex, with Zee stating that Alex, with his worn out, ragged, ill-fitting prison outfit, is looking "practically indecent".
- Plucky Comic Relief: Zee.
- So Proud of You - The warden to Alex. Of course, it turns into Disappointed In You very fast.
- Start of Darkness - A good deal of Death Sentence and "The Night Children" short story are about that.
- The Smurfette Principle: Lucy.
- Teeny Weenie: Simon remarks when helping a blacksuited Alex getting changed, THAT was the one thing Furnace didn't make bigger.
- Took a Level in Badass - Alex after becoming a Blacksuit.
- Trauma Conga Line
- Was Once a Man - Every horror in Furnace Penitentiary. Except the dogs