James: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Mikey: Yeah. Lunch!
- Accidental Misnaming: Albert keeps calling Mikey "Mickey".
- Answer Cut: When Molly calls the police thinking Mikey's been kidnapped, she says it's either that or with someone who's a complete idiot. Cut to James taking Mikey to work with him while Molly was asleep.
- Bad Date: Molly has one, thanks to a "little helpful advice" from the babysitter.
- But We Used a Condom: Mollie has a diaphragm, it just doesn't seem to do her any good.
- Call Back:Albert: I'm going through a selfish phase.
Molly: A selfish phase?!
Albert: I'm trying to be honest! I thought you'd understand!
Molly: Oh, I understand. I understand that you're going through a selfish phase.
- Chekhov's Gun: When James first visits Mollie after she gave birth to Mikey, he returns her purse, which she left in his cab while in labor. He mentions her diaphragm was inside. In the second film, James and Mollie conceive Julie despite the fact that she was wearing that diaphragm.
- Chekhov's Skill: James's ability to drive crazy but efficiently comes back when they need to chase down a runaway Mikey.
- Darker and Edgier: Look Who's Talking, Too!
- Deadpan Snarker: Lots of Mikey's commentary falls into this.
- Double Entendre: The entire scene when James is taking the splinter out of Mollie's hand and her mother hears outside the apartment door. Made even better when James zips his pants as he walks out.
- Eskimos Aren't Real: Somewhat averted in Look Who's Talking Too. Baby Mikey is sitting awake at night scared. He lists various things he's worried about, and that they aren't real. This includes monsters, ghosts, witches, and dinosaurs. He knows that one of them used to be real, but can't remember which. Justified, since he is a baby.
- Evil Sounds Deep: When an unconcerned nurse tells Molly to calm her breathing during her contractions ("You're not in aerobics class"), Molly's voice goes to Demonic Possession levels screaming FUCK MY BREATHING!
- Gilligan Cut: After Mollie vows aloud that she will not develop Postpartum Depression, the scene cuts abruptly to her crying uncontrollably.
- Imagine Spot: Several.
- Innocent Inaccurate: Mikey is prone to these (being an infant and all). He thinks boobs are only there for food, for example. (He does have a point, to be fair.)James: Are you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?
Mikey: Yeah. Lunch!
- Innocent Innuendo: A funny scene when they are trying to get a splinter out while Molly's mom is outside.Molly: Ooh! I've never had one that big in me!
- To make matters worse, when James leaves her apartment, he non-chalantly zips up his jeans right in front of her mother.
- Infant Immortality: When Mikey wanders out into a busy New York City street, cars rush past him and crash all around him. He doesn't have a scratch.
- Though at least Jimmy and Molly are both astounded by this rather than taking it as a given.
- Instant Birth, Just Add Water: Subverted, but Jimmy believes the trope to be true. Jimmy starts driving like a mad man when he finds out his fare (Mollie) is in labor. She yells at him to calm down and drive safe, the first stages of labor can take hours. He replies that the traffic in that area of town can take hours as well. Mollie was right, they get to the hospital in plenty of time.
- "Jump Off a Bridge" Rebuttal
- Law of Inverse Fertility: Mollie never plans her pregnancies.
- Morning Sickness: Mollie's first clue to her conception. Once the "sperm race to fertilize" sequence ends, we're "greeted" by a shot of Mollie puking her guts out.
- My Biological Clock Is Ticking: Told to Mollie by her OB/GYN when she finds out about her first pregnancy. This leads to a nightmare where she's hanging from a clock tower.
- Nice to the Waiter: Mollie starts dating several men and discarding them by imagining how they would behave with her son, Mikey, judging on how they treat the waiter.
- Out-of-Context Eavesdropping: James pulls out a splinter from Molly's finger. Her mother overhears and assume they're having sex. When James comes out, he zips his fly.
- Precision F-Strike: Molly's demonic FUCK MY BREATHING! during her labor.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: After learning that Mollie lied about having an artificial insemination, James and Mollie got into an argument. Mollie tells him Albert has a right to see his son and tells James he's too immature to be a dad. Then James calls her out for using Mikey to push other guys away.
- Straw Character: Molly's brother, representing everything a New Yorker should not believe.
- Time Skip: The first film has Mikey aging a couple of years.
- You're Drinking Breast Milk: Jimmy does a Spit Take when Mollie informs him the bottled milk he put in his coffee is her breast milk.Jimmy: Why didn't you tell me?
Mikey: Hey, you're on your own!