A Black Comedy
film starring Adam Sandler
as the eponymous Nicky, the third son of Satan
. After his two older half brothers escape from Hell, the Gates of Hell literally freeze over. No new souls can enter, so Nicky must journey to Earth and bring his brothers back. Meanwhile, due to this, Satan's power is weakening and his body literally begins to fall apart.Mike Nelson
has gone as far as calling it "the worst comedy ever made", though it remains a Cult Classic
This film contains examples of:
- All Part of the Show: A demon can get away with all sorts of mischief and "special effects" at a Harlem Globetrotters game. Even when the basketball explodes, this only results in an annoyed referee.
- Alliterative Name: Valerie Veran, the last of Adam's "V-name" girlfriends.
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: "Solve" is the image song for the Japanese release.
- Ambiguously Gay: Nicky's roommate.
- Anti Anti Christ?: Nicky, who's actually quite a likable guy.
- Ass Shove: The ass is Hitler's. The shoved item is a pineapple. Apparently, by law, he has to receive an ass shove daily for his crimes. He gets to pick the pineapple, though.
- On the other hand, it's implied he is often forced to pick one of the larger ones. Ouch.
- The pineapple only happens once. The second time at the end of the movie he has Cassius and Adrian shoved up there.
Grandpa: Alright, boys! Enjoy your new home!
Cassius and Adrian: Oh nonononononono..!!!
Hitler: HOLY SCHNIT!!!
- Audible Gleam: The Flask, when first handed to Nicky.
- Balance Between Good and Evil: Apparently Satan's job. If either Adrian or Cassius took the throne, they would upset that balance.
- Bee Afraid: Henry Winkler is covered in bees... twice.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Apparently, classic pop-rock band Chicago puts subliminal messages in their songs commanding listeners to spill the blood of innocents.
- Big Bad: Adrian.
- Big Brother Bully: The attacks from Cassius and Adrian (specifically, at least one event involving a shovel) are why Nicky has speech issues.
- Black Speech: Nicky usually speaks normally (for Nicky, anyway), but when he sleep talks...
- The Cameo: An assload. The best has to be Quentin Tarantino as a blind preacher, who suffers numerous Amusing Injuries when in Nicky's presence.
- Care Bear Stare:
Nicky: Release the good.
[shoots rainbows out of hands and group of bunnies appear]
Nicky: Yes, they're furry.
Demon: Bunny, bunny, bunny, bunny!
- Celebrity Power: What ultimately defeats the Big Bad? Ozzy Osbourne, who was summoned from an orb that was given to Nicky by God.
- The Comically Serious: The female newscaster reports on the serious riots going on in New York... then announces that she's cheating on her husband with the weatherman.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: "Are there boobs on my head?!" "Yeah, big ones."
- Continuity Nod: When Nicky arrives in Heaven, he sees Chubs (who was Happy Gilmore's golf coach).
- Dawson Casting: A bizarre inversion, as Reese Witherspoon plays Adam Sandler's mother, despite being about a decade younger than he. Of course, both of their characters are nonhumans, so our aging standards don't apply.
- Deal with the Devil: Subverted. Dan Marino wants to sell his soul to Satan, but he's rejected because Satan thinks he's too much of a nice guy to go to Hell...and because he's a Jets fan.
- Death as Comedy: "I got hit by a bright light... that was attached to a lot of metal..."
- Detect Evil: The blind preacher can sense Nicky and his son's demonic presence, but doesn't seem to sense their angel blood.
- Deus ex Machina: See Celebrity Power above. Possibly one of the strangest Deus Ex endings in history.
- Disproportionate Retribution: When Nicky needed to go to hell again, Todd volunteers to do it. What does he do to motivate himself to kill Nicky, he imagines him to be Kevin Spacey for stealing his acting parts.
- Dumb Is Good: Nicky is far dumber than Adrian. One character even flat out remarks that there's no way Nicky can outsmart him.
- It's implied that Nicky isn't dumber because he's good, so much as because he's suffered a lot of head trauma over the years. Thanks to his brothers.
- Dumb Muscle: Cassius.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even with the sympathetic portrayal of the demons, it's the Big Bad Adrian who balks at seeing Clint Howard in drag and dancing barechested.
Adrian: Well... maybe not that horrible... but still pretty bad.
- Eye Scream: "You got it right in the eye!"
- Female Angel, Male Demon: Parodied in that Nicky's father (Satan) is a bit of a Dirty Old Man, while Nicky's mother (an angel) is a blonde Valley Girl.
- French Maid: Adolf Hitler. Yes, really.
- Groin Attack: Nicky's brothers mind-wrestle him into punching himself in the crotch.
- A Hell of a Time: What happens when John and Peter (the two stoner metalheads) die in a plane crash? They go to Hell. "They've never been happier."
- Then again said metalheads are Pals With The Devil's Son so it makes sense that they'd get special treatment. They even get to stay in Nicky's old room (which is a stereotypical metalhead teen room, walls covered in band posters and all).
- Heroic Sacrifice: Automatically sends you to Heaven.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Satan punishes Death by growing boobs on his head. Later, when Cassius finds out there's something Satan and his crew won't tell him, Cassius gives Death's head boobs a titty twister in order to learn the details.
- Hybrid Power: Being the offspring of Satan and an angel, Nicky can perform both good and evil miracles.
- Justified Extra Lives: Nicky was born in Hell and left it near the start of the movie. Dying and being sent back there just means he gets to leave and try again.
- Karmic Rape: Part of Hitler's eternal punishment in Hell is to be periodically anally violated by the Devil with a pineapple.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Who is Nicky's mom? Well, it says right on the poster, doesn't it?
- Legacy Character: Nicky's father is the second Satan; the first is Rodney Dangerfield. Even in Hell, he gets no respect.
- Like a Badass out of Hell: Albeit with someone who was born there.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Or mother, in this case.
- Metal Head: John and Peter are two Satanic Metalheads who think it's unbelievably awesome that they get to hang out with the Devil's son.
- Nicky himself probably also qualifies; his bedroom walls are covered with posters for various hard rock and heavy metal bands.
- Mundane Made Awesome: At one point, Nicky's final fight with Adrian becomes a pillow fight.
- Our Founder: The first Satan (Lucifer?) founded Hell. Presumably after he was kicked out of Heaven.
- Parental Favoritism: Nicky, apparently. Which might explain why his brothers hate him so much to give him head trauma.
- The Peeping Tom: The film starts with one falling out of his tree and going to Hell. Played by Jon Lovitz, no less.
- Poke the Poodle: When urged to turn a Coke into something disgusting (like moose piss), Nicky turns it into Pepsi.
- Product Placement: "Popeye's Chicken is fuckin' awesome!"
- Which had a very weird sort of censoring on network TV - any instances of "Popeye's Chicken" being uttered is either bleeped or, in the case of the giant tub it came in, redacted.
- Double Standard: Rape, Male on Male: Satan + Hitler + Pineapple. Hilarity Ensues. It's Hitler, so it's okay.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The heroic side has Nicky (the half-devil, half-angel), John and Peter (two metalhead Satanists), Mr. Beefy (a talking dog), Todd (an ambiguously gay struggling actor), and Valerie (a design student).
- Satan Is Good: The current Satan is mostly portrayed as this. He punishes sinners, maintains the balance of good and evil, and is a supportive dad who only wants what's best for Nicky. He's fine with him living on Earth.
- See You in Hell: Nicky while holding Adrian in front of a train. It would've been quite literal, except "dying" for someone he loved sent Nicky to Heaven.
- Shape Shifter Showdown: Nicky and Adrian duel with their good and evil powers, with highlights including Adrian turning a cute baby into a creepy midget.
- Shout-Out: Actually a rather touching one to Chris Farley, a good friend of Adam Sandler's, who had recently died. According to the "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue in Heaven, he ended up working in Heaven as a fitness instructor and dating Nicky's mother (Reese Witherspoon).
- Speech Impediment: Nicky. It's implied that this is due to having his face smashed with a shovel.
- Subliminal Seduction:
- Parodied. Nicky reveals a Satanic backwards message on a song by the soft-rock band Chicago.
- Funnily enough, the Ozzy Osbourne record they listen to doesn't have any, because "the Blizzard always came straight with his messages".
- Take That: Grand Central Station is apparently the exit gate of Hell.
- Talking Animal: Mr. Beefy.
- Theme Naming: Those Two Guys are called John and Peter. Crosses into The Danza as they are credited as Jonathan Loughran and Peter Dante. Yes, Dante.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Nicky is killed seven times in the span of the ninety minute movie. Being a denizen of Hell, he can just walk right back out. Deaths include: Being hit by a train twice, being hit by a truck and a bus, attacked by a polar bear off-screen, drowned by his roommate and for the finale hit in the head with a large rock.
- Too Dumb to Live: Nicky's strategy for finding his brothers (who, being demons, are master shape-shifters) is going up to every single carbon-based life form in New York City and demanding, "Get in the flask." This includes even carnivorous animals at the zoo.
- Toilet Humour: After all, it is an Adam Sandler movie.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: When The Mayor (being possessed by Cassius) has lowered the drinking age from 21 to 10, we see three 10 year old boys come out of a pub, drunk. One of them projectile vomits.