Film: Little Black Book
A 2004 comedy starring Brittany Murphy as an aspiring journalist. While working on a local daytime talk show, she discovers one of the guests is her boyfriend's ex. She realizes he has told her very little about his past relationships, and she embarks on a journey of discovery.
The film features examples of:
- Batman Gambit: Barb manipulates Stacy into running around and contacting Derek's exes, then The Reveal happens on-air. Deception seems to be a common way for Kippie to get her guests on the show.
- Big Friendly Dog: Bob, a Bull Mastiff
- The Cast Showoff: Brittany Murphy gets to show off her singing chops, comedically at first, then more seriously later.
- Disappeared Dad: Stacy's dad leaves when she's young and her mother raises her.
- Large Ham: Kathy Bates has a great time chewing the scenery as a daytime talk show host.
- Panty Shot: Stacy turns a cartwheel while she's dancing around her living room.
- Shout-Out: The protagonist and her mom are big Carly Simon fans. Her music is used several times, and Working Girl is discussed. Leads to The Cameo from Simon at the end.
- Stock Scream: Subverted. When new guests arrive on the show, they're met with a doorbell sound effect and sometimes a scream. On Stacy's first day, Barb provides a live scream when they can't seem to find/cue up the sound effect.